GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I just traded in my 2014 Ford Focus ST and picked up a 2014 Chevy Volt, Silver, 37K Miles. (Options, Black Leather / Bose / Rear Armrest) 14,500$ I have only driven it 30 miles ( 25 Gas 5 Electric ) It came with 0 charge. I am super excited to be here.

Random Questions.
1) Is the MyChevy App glitchy for everyone * Remote starting etc *
2) Does anybody have phone mount that goes in the GAP between the gear shifter / cup holders.
3) Are there any tips and tricks that anybody recommends ( been reading as much as I can on the forums )
4) When in EV only I can hear high pitch noise from inside the cabin is that normal?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Greetings all!

I just traded in my 2014 Ford Focus ST and picked up a 2014 Chevy Volt, Silver, 37K Miles. (Options, Black Leather / Bose / Rear Armrest) 14,500$ I have only driven it 30 miles ( 25 Gas 5 Electric ) It came with 0 charge. I am super excited to be here.

Random Questions.
1) Is the MyChevy App glitchy for everyone * Remote starting etc *
2) Does anybody have phone mount that goes in the GAP between the gear shifter / cup holders.
3) Are there any tips and tricks that anybody recommends ( been reading as much as I can on the forums )
4) When in EV only I can hear high pitch noise from inside the cabin is that normal?
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. The Volt is addicting to drive and you may find yourself inventing reasons to take it out for a spin.

To get to your questions:

1. It can be. OnStar is currently making some changes which is causing service disruptions and strange behavior. It usually sorts itself out.

2. I don't have a Gen1 so I don't know if a mount exists but I am sure someone else can answer.

3. Some general tips are:
- precondition the car in the winter prior to leaving in the morning
- when doing a drive consisting of a mix between highway and local street driving, engage CS (charge-sustaining / hold) mode when getting on the highway and switch back to normal mode when getting off. This of course is completely dependent on the type of driving and the commute you have.
- keep the tires inflated to about 40 PSI. This will improve efficiency especially in colder weather
- consider joining VoltStats (www.voltstats.net) as it allows a better look at your overall efficiency compared with other drivers

4. Electric gear whine is common with EVs. The Volt (at least the Gen 2) is not so bad with it but some people are more sensitive to the noise than others. I have never driven a Gen 1 so I can't speak for that.

Anyway - enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
907 Posts
https://voltshelf.weebly.com/

Check out phone mounts.
But make sure you at least get the VoltScreen. Cheap radiator protection. Every gen 1 should get it.

Also, it's easy to accidentally double click the POWER switch on gen1 (instead of MODE) and turn OFF the car while driving. Practice restart in a safe place as described in the manual.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Make sure the load floor in my hatch area isn't loose.

Yes!
Following your suggestion I checked that and, sure enough, it was not seated correctly with a inch or two gap at the edge that meets the back seats. Reseated that and the noise is MUCH less. I can still hear it if I listen for it but it's so much quieter now that I am not at all bothered by it, especially with the radio running.

Thank you CCIE!
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?296834-Is-there-any-remedy-for-inverter-whine&highlight=whine

·
Registered
433 Posts
You're not quite there yet, but at 5yr or 100k miles the Volt needs a complete coolant system flush that will run about $300. Keep that in mind next year. Check your engine and cabin air filters and your wiper blades. Dealers don't usually touch those items when getting cars ready to resale. 40psi minimum, though many run higher pressures. Experiment to find the right combination of increased range and ride comfort. Keep it plugged in as much as possible during extreme cold/extreme heat (garaged if possible). That will help the thermal management system keep the battery warm/cool thus preserving your maximum range.

Finally, don't be alarmed when you first charge it to 100% and the range estimate is a lot lower than the EPA rating of 38. 1) freezing & subfreezing temps will reduce your range (mitigate by keeping it plugged in as much as possible) & 2) the previous owner may have driven it spiritedly. no worries, the range estimate will adjust after a few recharge cycles to accurately reflect your driving habits.

P.S. Post pics and have fun driving by all the plebs at the gas station!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
You'll learn to love/hate the Guess-O-Meter, in the winter it'll drop like a stone, in the spring summer and early fall you'll be amazed at the number of miles you can drive on a charge. It's the nature of the beast. Also the Volt is sensitive to tire pressure. Most set their at least 2 OVER the door label. Set when cold, like first thing in the morning on a COLD day. I set mine to 38 PSI.

Also a Level II EVSE will change how you use and love your Volt. Makes life so much easier.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're not quite there yet, but at 5yr or 100k miles the Volt needs a complete coolant system flush that will run about $300. Keep that in mind next year. Check your engine and cabin air filters and your wiper blades. Dealers don't usually touch those items when getting cars ready to resale. 40psi minimum, though many run higher pressures. Experiment to find the right combination of increased range and ride comfort. Keep it plugged in as much as possible during extreme cold/extreme heat (garaged if possible). That will help the thermal management system keep the battery warm/cool thus preserving your maximum range.

Finally, don't be alarmed when you first charge it to 100% and the range estimate is a lot lower than the EPA rating of 38. 1) freezing & subfreezing temps will reduce your range (mitigate by keeping it plugged in as much as possible) & 2) the previous owner may have driven it spiritedly. no worries, the range estimate will adjust after a few recharge cycles to accurately reflect your driving habits.

P.S. Post pics and have fun driving by all the plebs at the gas station!
Thank you very much, I will make sure I do the coolant flush next year. One of my wheels is at 33PSI so I will make sure to set it tonight on my way home. Yeah I have not gotten the 38Range but it's claiming 33 when I woke up, and when I got to work around 9 miles down the road it was at 24 ( Though ICE kicked in because of temperature )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My uncle has a 2017 and he was telling me about how much better it is in the spring, its around 30 degrees outside now so ICE has been kicking in a bunch but none the less I am still impressed with the ride / quality of the vehicle. I cannot currently add Level II charger at the moment but once I buy a house that will be a must do! Thank you for your advise.

·
Registered
433 Posts
FYI, by default, the engine will run to provide cabin heat when the temps are below I think like 35 degrees, however you have the option of changing it to where the engine will not cut on until I think link 15 degrees. It is in the vehicle setting menu I think under climate or comfort. I can't remember exactly. It's in your manual though. Many set it to the lower 15 degree setting because they want to use as little gas as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someday, you may go crazy:

You are checking under the hood for a fuse or something... a filter, etc. You decide to turn on the car, and the ICE starts! It will not shut off without turning off the car. That's to keep high voltage from being sent to the engine compartment with the hood open.

Safety first, but it is odd to me that the gas motor starts at all.

But this is an amazing car!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Greetings all!

4) When in EV-only I can hear high pitch noise from inside the cabin is that normal?
In my Gen 1 (2013), there was a dealer fix for excessive inverter noise--at least the noise that originates in the rear of the vehicle. Keep in mind that some whine is normal (and more pronounced on the Gen 1). However, an excessive "high pitch" sound can be fixed. Unless you have an extended warranty, it's probably only covered under the B2B, although if you bought from a Chevy Dealer they may cut you a break for this known issue.

Another way to minimize this noise is simply to put a heavy all-weather VOLT mat to cover the rear hatch area. This will eliminate some other noise as well, although will muffle your sub a bit since that is also back there (I could always hear the difference with/without the all-weather mat in the back). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Someday, you may go crazy:

You are checking under the hood for a fuse or something... a filter, etc. You decide to turn on the car, and the ICE starts! It will not shut off without turning off the car. That's to keep high voltage from being sent to the engine compartment with the hood open.

Safety first, but it is odd to me that the gas motor starts at all.

But this is an amazing car!
The high voltage part of this is completely not the case. The engine and the high voltage systems are integrated together. It's safer to presume that there's ALWAYS 360V+ running around the Volt unless you've taken specific steps to disable it. And if those are done, the engine can't start either, because the starter motor is motor-generator A. The engine starts when the hood is open and the car is on because that's what other cars do, and it's simpler to work that way than to do something different. The Volt is all about meeting expectations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts