GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Volt but the Drive Mode button doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? Does the car have to be running/not running/charging/not charging? I need to go on a longish trip tomorrow and wanted to experiment with using Mountain Mode to preserve battery for the end of the trip.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I don't think you can select a drive mode while the car is still off. Turn it On and try it. Messages should appear on the driver display. Mountain mode won't actually do anything until the battery charge drops to the trigger point.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
The car must be on to select a mode. It will default to Normal when shut off. If it is working properly you should use Hold Mode on your trip. It lets you decide how much battery to save.
If your battery has more than ~50% state of charge when you activate Mountain Mode, you will NOT see anything different happen in the car. It operates the same way as Normal Mode until the battery is down to about ~40%. Then the engine will start and maintain that level of charge. If you activate Mountain Mode below ~40% charge, the ICE will start immediately and run hard to propel the car and charge the battery up to the proper level.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
The car needs to be running, the. You push the drive mode once to pop up the screen on the driver info console, again to go to the next mode. Since you're new at this I highly recommend doing this while stopped and not moving as trying to do this while driving is distracting your eyes from watching the road. Multiple people have had inadvertently pushed the blue button twice while trying to switch drive modes. That can lead to a disaster.

And as stated before, you want to use hold mode not mountain mode. Mountain mode is for traversing mountains.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Volt but the Drive Mode button doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? Does the car have to be running/not running/charging/not charging? I need to go on a longish trip tomorrow and wanted to experiment with using Mountain Mode to preserve battery for the end of the trip.
So since you just bought it perhaps it did not have a charge. If so, the Drive Mode will do nothing except Mountain Mode. If it did have a full charge the Mountain Mode will not do anything until it drops below 50% in which case you will want to use Hold Mode.

You must have a charge for any mode except MM
The car must be running
It can be selected at any time
One push brings up the menu and returns to normal mode
multiple other pushes cycle through the menu

·
Registered
188 Posts
The car must be on to select a mode. It will default to Normal when shut off. If it is working properly you should use Hold Mode on your trip. It lets you decide how much battery to save.
If your battery has more than ~50% state of charge when you activate Mountain Mode, you will NOT see anything different happen in the car. It operates the same way as Normal Mode until the battery is down to about ~40%. Then the engine will start and maintain that level of charge. If you activate Mountain Mode below ~40% charge, the ICE will start immediately and run hard to propel the car and charge the battery up to the proper level.
The word 'MOUNTAIN MODE' will display though

Also, my Drive MODE button takes a few tries to get it to respond

Search in here, you will see alot of people with the same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts