GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this were to be your only everyday driver, and you were willing to fogo the BS regarding only 40 or 50 miles a day for normal use under pure electron flow, you'd be nuts not to consider it. The cockpit is way better than my 14 in many respects.
However, the suspension in the 17 felt a bit mushier, 0 to 60 not that much different even under sport. I still like the Nascar front of the 14 and the butt too. It could use a bigger dose of torque, really. And still, as I have mentioned in other threads, I would like 150 cold miles.

The 17 appears sleeker and looks like many of the other makes. Enough has been stated about that and for legitimate business reasons. I'm not going to argue that one. Besides when I drive it I'm inside looking out. And as I stated, it's not a bad picture.

I'm going to talk to my dealer to see if they'll let me play with one for a weekend to get a better overall feel and how the headlights stack up. The 14 high beam is horrible-terrible-dangerous. And did I mention all but useless? Until then, I have a year and 1/2 left on my "I'll never deal with ALLY again", Lease. That's another story not for here.

Good vehicle. When will it be IIHS tested?

RT

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any word on how "quality" it feels? Weight of the doors, smooth operation of the controls and levers, plastics that feel sturdy, not hollow or thin, interior quietness... all these things are a important to me. Of course, without a 6.6kw charger, it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love my 2017 for lots of reasons and the 60 miles range is perfect for me. I'm not that impressed with the low beams, but the high beams are fine. I didn't have a gen 1 so I can't compare, but the driver information center is excellent.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Until then, I have a year and 1/2 left on my "I'll never deal with ALLY again", Lease. That's another story not for here.

RT
You opened the door, why not tell the story here? Leasing should be like the meth commercials.... Don't try it, not even once.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As someone who is currently driving a car that is going to be recalled in the near future (2012 VW Diesel), I've started my search and the Volt is topping my list.

I've only had a short drive in a 2017, but I was highly impressed. On the same day, with my 11 year old daughter I drove the Volt and a Mini Countryman. I could drive a Volt. I'd never drive the Mini. Ever since that day, any time the topic of car search comes up my daughter keeps chanting "Volt, Volt, Volt..." at me.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
As someone who is currently driving a car that is going to be recalled in the near future (2012 VW Diesel), I've started my search and the Volt is topping my list.

I've only had a short drive in a 2017, but I was highly impressed. On the same day, with my 11 year old daughter I drove the Volt and a Mini Countryman. I could drive a Volt. I'd never drive the Mini. Ever since that day, any time the topic of car search comes up my daughter keeps chanting "Volt, Volt, Volt..." at me.
The entire forum will join your daughter. "Volt, Volt, Volt..."

Alas, just because your VW is going to be recalled isn't a reason to jettison it. Resale values on vw diesels have plummeted so good luck not losing your shirt, pants, underwear, and socks trying to trade it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding lease. I use the vehicle for work. I'm a technical headhunter. Accountant recommended it for the business. It works as a good conversation starter too.

I never leased before and as you have mentioned, like meth, not a very good idea. And ALLY is the worst. See what they state on Yelp. It's all true. Even the Finance guy at the dealer had a rough time with them, seriously, not kidding.

I am in line for a T3. Drove a "normal" S last week. All I can say is that it put a grin from ear to ear.What a hoot. The only vehicles to do that for me were my MINI (street use only), PORSCHE (street and track use) and 5.0 Mustang Coupe (street use only).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alas, just because your VW is going to be recalled isn't a reason to jettison it. Resale values on vw diesels have plummeted so good luck not losing your shirt, pants, underwear, and socks trying to trade it in.
Well, it's not that I'm willingly going to jettison it. Averaging 875km/tank and fuel price that is lower than regular has been great. This supposed to be a mandated recall. According to the info from the EPA/VW agreement that came on out April 21, I'm going to be getting the depreciated value as of September 15 + cash from VW for it. I don't really care what the current post revelation market is saying about the value for the car. Just waiting for the final details to come out June 21.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Well, it's not that I'm willingly going to jettison it. Averaging 875km/tank and fuel price that is lower than regular has been great. This supposed to be a mandated recall. According to the info from the EPA/VW agreement that came on out April 21, I'm going to be getting the depreciated value as of September 15 + cash from VW for it. I don't really care what the current post revelation market is saying about the value for the car. Just waiting for the final details to come out June 21.
If they are giving you depreciated value and cash for it, then it sounds like it might be an OK deal. it all comes down to the numbers.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Regarding lease. I use the vehicle for work. I'm a technical headhunter. Accountant recommended it for the business. It works as a good conversation starter too.

I never leased before and as you have mentioned, like meth, not a very good idea. And ALLY is the worst. See what they state on Yelp. It's all true. Even the Finance guy at the dealer had a rough time with them, seriously, not kidding.

I am in line for a T3. Drove a "normal" S last week. All I can say is that it put a grin from ear to ear.What a hoot. The only vehicles to do that for me were my MINI (street use only), PORSCHE (street and track use) and 5.0 Mustang Coupe (street use only).
As a business you can write a lease off as a business expense on taxes, but if you end up exceeding the mileage limits, then you will pay up the wazoo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
" As a business you can write a lease off as a business expense on taxes, but if you end up exceeding the mileage limits, then you will pay up the wazoo."

Mileage and overages, that's an understood given. I only have 12K miles on it. I'm good for 32K on turn in. I work from a home office, but when I do go to meetings and such my drive is 70 to 100 miles round trip every time. They would be my normal commute that GM says I only use 40 miles for. In the WDC area it's usually a long, and during rush hour a slow, mind numbing drive, but gotta stay awake and alert due to the "have to be texting I'm so important drivers".

BTW the buy-out is totally wacked. $20K for a car that is retailing for $15K with my current mileage (think auction prices). What's it gong to be worth in Dec 2017, $10K, maybe?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
"
BTW the buy-out is totally wacked. $20K for a car that is retailing for $15K with my current mileage (think auction prices). What's it gong to be worth in Dec 2017, $10K, maybe?
Agreed. Ally is not your ally. Though many of us gen1 owners bought our new premiums for just a little more that your residual. That's because Ally didn't really give you much off for the fed tax credit.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
States vary with how you can write off state tax...Obviously for leasing, you're better off to live in a state where you can write it off vs one where you can't and some states don't even have state income tax...

I'm not really going to get into the Volts omissions or compromise, you either accept it or you don't...I will say if you're okay with a compact, at MSRP prices which can be brought down, a $20,400 Civic will give you safety features and ACC, after the federal rebate, you'd need to spend $14K more to get a Volt with those features all while having better acceleration...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had my 17 Volt for over two weeks now with 1250km on it and have not used a drop of fuel. I drive it carefully using all 3 regens coming to a stop. I am getting 107km-110km of driving to a charge with an average of 5km showing on the guess-o-meter. This car is awesome. My round trip is 104km, so I have no fear of using any fuel in the near future. I've bumped the tire pressure to 40psi and it has a stiffer ride/feel. The car is solid and tight, the doors feel solid. I think the build quality is excellent. Mines just an LT and the cloth seats have good support(although the deadmans pedal is set too far back).

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I've had my 17 Volt for over two weeks now with 1250km on it and have not used a drop of fuel. I drive it carefully using all 3 regens coming to a stop. I am getting 107km-110km of driving to a charge with an average of 5km showing on the guess-o-meter. This car is awesome. My round trip is 104km, so I have no fear of using any fuel in the near future. I've bumped the tire pressure to 40psi and it has a stiffer ride/feel. The car is solid and tight, the doors feel solid. I think the build quality is excellent. Mines just an LT and the cloth seats have good support(although the deadmans pedal is set too far back).
using all 3 regens, huh? I've said this before, but it bears repeating, all the regens are using the same innards to generate electricity. Consider just using the brake pedal as it gives you variable regen on demand. Also, to maximize range, you don't want to maximize regen, rather you want to minimize it and coast as much as possible (while driving at a safe speed depending on traffic conditions). I found that wh en I drive in L, I tend to stay on the accelerator longer to reach the optimal time to release the accelerator and slow to a stop, almost not needing the brake pedal. But if you stay in D, let off the accelerator earlier, and coast to that same stop, I've actually used less energy overall. And often, this slow glide can turn for the better if the light turns green and the stopped traffic starts moving again so you don't have to start from a standing stop.

Plus in Ontario, just wait until winter time when your range drops because of cold...you'll have to accept using fuel then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have several hills around here where i can gain up to 25 kph in speed from top to bottom. So what i do is coast the first half of the hill in drive which is putting about 7 KW back into the battery. When I'm more than half way down the hill i shift from drive to "L"to further slow down which now puts about 30 KW back into the battery and finally use the paddle to bring me to a stop at the stop sign which puts in 40+KW back in the battery. This way i never even touch the brake pedal and can put on 3 + km on the guess -o-meter and .2-.3 on the KW display from one large hill. Why coast down this hill in drive And then waste my brakes to stop? My usual route home would be 104 km round trip with 2 km left on the guess -o- meter, now i take a longer route home which is 6 km longer going down 4 big hills and i now get 110. 7 km driven with 9 km left on the guess -o- meter when i get home.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Leasing is fine with the right lease deal and lessor... There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

Leasing should be like the meth commercials.... Don't try it, not even once.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I have several hills around here where i can gain up to 25 kph in speed from top to bottom. So what i do is coast the first half of the hill in drive which is putting about 7 KW back into the battery. When I'm more than half way down the hill i shift from drive to "L"to further slow down which now puts about 30 KW back into the battery and finally use the paddle to bring me to a stop at the stop sign which puts in 40+KW back in the battery. This way i never even touch the brake pedal and can put on 3 + km on the guess -o-meter and .2-.3 on the KW display from one large hill. Why coast down this hill in drive And then waste my brakes to stop? My usual route home would be 104 km round trip with 2 km left on the guess -o- meter, now i take a longer route home which is 6 km longer going down 4 big hills and i now get 110. 7 km driven with 9 km left on the guess -o- meter when i get home.
And I contend you can do the whole downhill trek with your foot on the brakes and the pads won't engage, as it will all be under regen, except the very end when you actually bring the car to a complete stop. Try it for a little bit, then feel your wheels, they won't be hot.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Leasing is fine with the right lease deal and lessor... There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.
Well, I guess the right deal for me is 100% down, $0 per month, unlimited term, 0% money factor, unlimited miles.

But many others are trapped by driving a new car every few years, paying payments forever, always being upside down in equity on their cars, driving something they normally couldn't afford, trying to live the American Dream borrowing their way out of debt. Just imagine how much money you can amass if you didn't have a car payment - eventually you can buy any car you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts