GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our second Volt! We got a great deal and I think we will be happy with our choices. Volt number one was a 2011 loaded demo that we bought in 2012 at a substantial discount. My wife drives it and we have been very happy with it.

Decided that when we had the means we would buy another Volt. We live in California and although I drive a lot of miles, our thought is that the HOV sticker is of little value to us on the Central Coast- hence, a 2012 or 2013 model with some extra features and HOV capability was not an issue.

Volt number two is also a 2011 loaded demo that we just bought as a new car with 7K miles from the original dealer with the tax credit not yet used. Net cost after tax credit before TTL is about $21.7K. At that price point, it made no sense to consider anything else. Although I do a lot of driving that goes well beyond the electric only range, I have been getting 40+ mpg in gas only mode. I can't think of any other car that does that well with these features at this price point.

BTW, when I looked over the source of components in the build sheet info, I found that the motor was made in Austria and the drive module was made in Japan.

The fact that the Volt has not done as well in the marketplace has provided a real opportunity and a real value for us. I plan on keeping each of these Volts for 10 years or more. I still remember in the 1990s seeing electric refrigerators from the 1950s that were still going strong. I think that these cars will eventually become legacy cars. We have had no problems with our first Volt other than one episode of dead battery due to bluetooth left on. Even if future problems surface, I am still happy to be on the bleeding edge of this technology which is still in it's first generation.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Congrats. Smart move.

Honestly, if we needed a second car I would likely do the same thing. Its such an awesome car. Oh btw, I will never, ever again by a gas car.

I am totally hooked on the feeling of driving electric. The acceleration. The quiet. I am hooked.

The only thing I do not like about my Volt is that it uses gas at all. I like the Tesla a lot however would never spend that kind of dough.

I am going to go into my settings to make it so as little gas as possible is used during the week. I drive only 19 miles round trip to work so I dont care if my battery gets beaten down because I can charge again at work. I just "dont wont to use no gas".

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the second car. Obviously you couldn't stop at one! But be careful, as word gets out about how great the Volt is you may not have as many market opportunities. LOL

·
Registered
455 Posts
Congratulations all over again!

3,600 Posts
dmwaves,

Congrats on your new Volt! We hope you continue to enjoy them for many years!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Very smart move on buying a new/used 2011 Volt. And your right many so called fuel efficient cars are really no better than the Volt on it's ICE.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Awesome deal. Makes it hard to spend about the same amount on a Chevy Spark EV (when they come out).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats from another two car family in California. My wife got the first one in Nov 2011, and we loved it so much I got mine in March 2012.

Now all you need is a solar array to charge them, so you can be totally green !

Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I too am hooked on the electric feel- smooth, quiet, responsive. And yes, solar panels on the rooftop of the house are in the plan for when the next big check comes in... Oh, I did check out a new gas version Chevy Spark at the dealer. Didn't drive it. The design was interesting- kind of a cross between a Honda Fit and a Smart car: four doors, the back seats fold down. Very functional. The entry level car was about $13K. It is surprising that an American car company can produce a car that inexpensively!

Doug Malcolm

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
...and your second Volt just makes you look at the rest of the world and shake your head, 'Why don't they get it?'

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Congrats on your second Volt! We may be there in a couple years when/if my wife's 2008 Prius gets put out to pasture.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Smacked my Volt into a curb. Suddenly, driving my Lincoln....

I realized how many HUNDREDS I was saving on gas every month. The Volt is easily the best car ever owned, and still averagin 90 MPG overall. This car will pay for itself. And the fun, semi-luxury ride, and all the bells and whistles to boot. Couldn't be happier. My 2nd Volt is coming when my daughter takes he 2012 for college.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Congrats on your second Volt! We may be there in a couple years when/if my wife's 2008 Prius gets put out to pasture.
I'm right there with you bro. Once my wife's 2008 Malibu hits the ten year mark she too will be getting her first EV. I can't say it will be a Volt, but I fully expect it to be an American made EV of some sort. Let's see who has the best EV in 2018:)!

Coincidently I will be making the last payment on the Malibu on April Fool's Day;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts