GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used Volt that said it had "one month" of warranty left on the Carfax, but based on the inservice date, the three year point is TOMORROW (Sunday!). Is there any fudge factor on the three year point, and/or is there anyone that will sell me a GMPP at a sub-retail price tomorrow?

edit: Carfax said it was 9/4/2016 - but Chevy's owner profile said 8/30/2016!! Dammit, I'm pretty pissed right now.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Here's what a supporting vender on the Corvette Forum says about the two plans available.

"Prices from GM on the Chevrolet,Buick, GMC, & Cadillac Plans (GMEPP) will be increasing soon.
We expected the increase today (9/1) but it looks like now prices will increase on 10/1.

Beat the price increase AND take advantage of our sale.
I am offering the plan at our discounted price LESS $250!!!
Sale ends on 9/30/16.

We are offering the lowest prices ever on the GMPP from Ally and the Protection Plans from GM(GMEPP).

We are offering the Protection Plans from GM on any make & model.
AND, the plan prices are just over dealer cost, AND we are taking an additional $250 off of our sale prices thru 9/30/16!
To qualify for the Protection Plan from GM:
You can reside in any state! The plan is available in every state.
Your vehicle must be a 2006 or newer model with less than 120,000 miles on the odometer!

We are also offering GMPP a product of Ally for every make and model.
To qualify for the Ally plan:
You cannot be a resident of Alaska,Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, and Florida.
You must be within the original manufacturer’s bumper to bumper warranty for both time and miles.
You can extend your present GMPP if you have at least 1 month and 1000 miles of remaining coverage and if your vehicle is a 2008 or newer and with less than 75K miles."

I would suggest you contact him directly he'll sell to anyone not just CF members. I've NEVER seen his prices bettered.

Contact info

We promise great service and the lowest prices.

Matching and beating other offers is our goal!

Email for a quote today!
[email protected]

Make sure to include your VIN, current odometer reading and state of residence.

If you call the old phone number that Dennis and I used for years you will be told that we are no longer around. NOT TRUE!

You can reach Dennis in his office directly at 406-896-3082

Have a great day!

Lowest Prices on GMPP by Ally, and Chevrolet Protection Plans (GMEPP) by GM.

Great deals on new Chevrolet cars and trucks. Serving every State!

Denny Menholt Chevrolet
3000 King Ave W, Billings MT 59102
[email protected]
406-672-5690 Cell Phone

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If you can't get the GM protection Plan, don't fret, it's just a money maker for GM anyway because mathematically, they make a profit off of you compared to the actuarial tables that figure out the number of claims per vehicle. Just take what you would have paid for GMPP and put it into a bank account that you promise not to touch except for doing repairs on the vehicle. Better yet, you know you will need tires and oil changes, so plop $50-100 per paycheck into this account via direct deposit. Even better, you know you will need a new car eventually anyway, go ahead and stick $300 or more into this account per paycheck and when the volt bites the dust, you might have enough cash to buy a new car outright.

A coworker of mine drove a car for 11 years while squirreling away a car payment into a savings account , and when it was time to get a new car, he had enough to buy a shiny new Model S.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you can't get the GM protection Plan, don't fret, it's just a money maker for GM anyway because mathematically, they make a profit off of you compared to the actuarial tables that figure out the number of claims per vehicle. Just take what you would have paid for GMPP and put it into a bank account that you promise not to touch except for doing repairs on the vehicle. Better yet, you know you will need tires and oil changes, so plop $50-100 per paycheck into this account via direct deposit. Even better, you know you will need a new car eventually anyway, go ahead and stick $300 or more into this account per paycheck and when the volt bites the dust, you might have enough cash to buy a new car outright.

A coworker of mine drove a car for 11 years while squirreling away a car payment into a savings account , and when it was time to get a new car, he had enough to buy a shiny new Model S.
This. Exactly how I paid for my Volt (though, in 7 years, got other financial drains). Already, the sudden loss of $32k in my funds has re-adjusted my habbits back into super-frugal mode. I am ignoring all the online deals forums with no problem now.

Though I'm guessing around the 3-year mark, I may end up having money burning a hole in my pocket and that GMPP will start looking tempting. I'll probably rationalize the purchase by claiming I don't want to be part of the grouping that brings the claims costs up on that actuary table. ;-)

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
This. Exactly how I paid for my Volt (though, in 7 years, got other financial drains). Already, the sudden loss of $32k in my funds has re-adjusted my habbits back into super-frugal mode. I am ignoring all the online deals forums with no problem now.

Though I'm guessing around the 3-year mark, I may end up having money burning a hole in my pocket and that GMPP will start looking tempting. I'll probably rationalize the purchase by claiming I don't want to be part of the grouping that brings the claims costs up on that actuary table. ;-)
Wait, if you don't want to be part of the grouping that brings the claims costs up, that means you are buying GMPP in hopes of not making a claim. If you don't make a claim, purchasing GMPP is like flushing money down the toilet. It's kind of a strange position to be in, but if you own and extended warranty, you are kind of hoping for the worst so you can feel better that the extra you paid for that extended warranty ended up saving you money in the long run. I'd never buy extended warranties at Best Buy, I also don't buy them from car dealerships.

Here's a scrupulous one. When buying my daughter's Subaru, the Subaru dealership was trying to sell me and extended warranty for $1500. When I said no, they dropped the price to $1000. When I still said no they dropped it to $899. Again I said no. A week later I get a letter from Subaru congratulating me on my purchase and offering me the exact same extended warranty for $599. The price difference would have been pure profit for that dealership.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's completely irrational, I know. I'm not familiar with GMPP but I'll assume for now it's another 3 years of bumper-bumper coverage. Assuming I can get one for $900, that's about $900 / 36 = $25/month, which I could easily squirrel away with no impact on my standard of living.

I'm just not confident $900 saved will be enough to handle repairs. When something breaks, I expect the repair to take close to $900. A (bad) gauge of the Gen 2 vs Gen 1 reliability from these forums is starting to make me nervous. Over the next 3 years I will be keeping an eye on the forums (as well as my own Volt) to see if enough repairs have made a GMPP worth it. I'd probably add up all the repairs over a 3 year period and if it comes out to more than $900, I'll probably jump on a GMPP. Getting a GMPP for $600 would definitely increase likelihood of jumping on one.

I liken the GMPP to insurance, just low-risk. I've paid insurance for years and haven't made a single claim. Sure, when the unfortunate happens, I'll be ECSTATIC I have insurance (ignoring the legal requirements to have it). For the GMPP, if the unfortunately happens, I'll be happy I have it. If nothing bad ever happens, oh well, at least I bought peace of mind. It is hard to put a price on peace of mind. Everyone has differing levels of peace of mind. Mine happens to be $900 for the GMPP.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
By the way, even as I approach 60k miles, I still get weekly phone calls and junk mail from warranty companies claiming this is my final chance to get an extended warranty. Plus, the office and phone number that I took over for a guy who bought a Ford about 4 years ago also gets phone calls for his car. It's all about the money. Why else would they be trying so hard? They're almost as bad a Rachael who claims there is nothing wrong with my credit card but stay on the line for a great deal on more credit.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It's completely irrational, I know. I'm not familiar with GMPP but I'll assume for now it's another 3 years of bumper-bumper coverage. Assuming I can get one for $900, that's about $900 / 36 = $25/month, which I could easily squirrel away with no impact on my standard of living.

I'm just not confident $900 saved will be enough to handle repairs. When something breaks, I expect the repair to take close to $900. A (bad) gauge of the Gen 2 vs Gen 1 reliability from these forums is starting to make me nervous. Over the next 3 years I will be keeping an eye on the forums (as well as my own Volt) to see if enough repairs have made a GMPP worth it. I'd probably add up all the repairs over a 3 year period and if it comes out to more than $900, I'll probably jump on a GMPP. Getting a GMPP for $600 would definitely increase likelihood of jumping on one.

I liken the GMPP to insurance, just low-risk. I've paid insurance for years and haven't made a single claim. Sure, when the unfortunate happens, I'll be ECSTATIC I have insurance (ignoring the legal requirements to have it). For the GMPP, if the unfortunately happens, I'll be happy I have it. If nothing bad ever happens, oh well, at least I bought peace of mind. It is hard to put a price on peace of mind. Everyone has differing levels of peace of mind. Mine happens to be $900 for the GMPP.
$900 for 3 additional years? I don't think so. When I priced it, it was something like $3700 for 3 years.

As for peace of mind, I've driven cars to 130-200k miles with no extended warranty for decades and have never felt the need for it. Cars do break, they do need to be maintained and repaired, and spending about $1200 per year to cover tires and repairs is supposed to be normal - my repair history has been far below normal. A wad of cash sitting in the bank is my peace of mind. If the car blows and engine, I just need to shuffle some funds around, sell some investments, and pick out the next vehicle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't forget that even after tomorrow you still have a 5-year / 60,000 mile warranty on the engine and a 8-year 100,000 mile warranty on the Voltec (electric) drive system, which includes the battery, electric motor(s) and all associated power electronics.

The Gen 1 Volt is proving itself to be very reliable so far (I also have a 2013, bought new).

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Another consideration is resale value. I opted for the GMPP for my 07 Z06, when I sold it it in 2011 I transferred the balance of my ZERO deductable warranty that was good for another 3 years. The buyer a fellow Corvette Forum member said that was the only way he'd buy a used Z06. I sold it in a week primarily due the car having a warranty. Peace of mind for a used car buyer. What is that worth?

So the numbers aren't black and white.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Another consideration is resale value. I opted for the GMPP for my 07 Z06, when I sold it it in 2011 I transferred the balance of my ZERO deductable warranty that was good for another 3 years. The buyer a fellow Corvette Forum member said that was the only way he'd buy a used Z06. I sold it in a week primarily due the car having a warranty. Peace of mind for a used car buyer. What is that worth?

So the numbers aren't black and white.
Is it really peace of mind? Tow a vette to the dealership with a blown engine or a torn up transmission, and they'll probably claim you were abusing it. I had a coworker who blew an engine on his Chrysler Conquest and the 10 year 100K warranty was not honored because they claimed the car had a low oil condition. Believe me, he was pissed to the point he'd never buy a Chrysler or Mitsubishi vehicle for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again, OP here.

Honestly, everything has been awesome so far - I kinda love my Gen1 Volt. I used to own a Gen1 Leaf, and while it was GREAT, it kinda sucked to have a new-ish car that I couldn't use for roadtrips.

A few days ago, I took a 300mi mountain road/daytrip through 4-5 different passes, and the Volt handled it splendidly (go Mountain Mode!). This morning, I got to work purely on electric power, and I'll be able to get 95% of the way home on it, too. Pretty cool I can do both in the same car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts