GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

After much due diligence, 2 test drives, exploring the electronics for an hour, sitting in all 4 seats, and spending a lot of time on forums and reviews...I wrote the deposit check. It has been a 3 month process for me to commit to the Volt while also exploring a few other vehicle options.

You rarely come across any Volts on the road here in New York. A local bank manager has a 2011. I actually went into his bank to ask about his experience. He was an enthusiastic owner and only had a dead 12v battery incident to report when I asked if he had any problems.

We will be picking up this car on Monday Aug 26. It has probably been sitting on another dealer's lot for several months. I don't know if this car has been retrieved from the rather congested lot and given any periodic activity/charge in the course of the past several months.

I am trying to put together a LIST of questions and tutorial points for our delivery GO-OVER.
I am including emergency charge of the 12v, and deactivating the electric for emergencies (such as crash).
As I said there are not many Volts around here YET, so I would not count on emergency responders to be familiar with it. SO if anyone has any suggestions regarding critical points for a new owner, I would appreciate your input.
MANY THANKS to all of you who have posted You Tube reviews and tutorials. You too are providing a wonderful service.

I must submit a RAV 4 post to thanks 2 individuals who recently saved me $500. They indicated that paying $50 to have a diagnostic run at the dealer can actually pick up issues that are "flying beneath the radar" of the Check Engine indicator light. My CE light had flashed on BUT it was probably due to insecure gas cap. The light was then off for 3 days before I went to the dealer. Sure enough, I got $500 worth of free repair before my extended warrantee expired AND I didn't even have to pay the $50s to run the diagnostic.

La Femme NY
white diamond pebble leather NAV etc.

3,607 Posts
I am trying to put together a LIST of questions and tutorial points for our delivery GO-OVER.
I am including emergency charge of the 12v, and deactivating the electric for emergencies (such as crash).
As I said there are not many Volts around here YET, so I would not count on emergency responders to be familiar with it.
Good Afternoon La Femme NY,

For safety reasons All First Responders have had training with the Volt. There are procedures in place to depower the Volt, if an accident were to occur.

We know you are excited to get the Volt and we are too! You will have a Dedicated Advisor as well. When you get your Volt please PM me the last 8 of your VIN and the best way to reach you. I will have your Advisor contact you!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The things you puzzle over with the Volt are generally the same things you puzzle over when you get any new car. Stuff like "How do I turn on the windshield wipers?" or "How do I sort songs?" or "How do I get the garage door set up?". There isn't a lot that is unusual, there is just a little more stuff.

I doubt you'll have any issues with the 12v. Just know that if you're jumping another car from the Volt you use the connectors in the hatch and if you're jumping the Volt you use the connectors under the hood. The positive connector can be hard to find but this should show you.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome fellow Islander! Where abouts? I'm in the North Babylon area very close to Deer Park Avenue. There are 2 Volts I've seen in my neighborhood, mine and one other. You're right you don't see many but when you do it will be a treat. There is a Costco off the LIE in Commack and one of their employees owns a black one. I park next to them when I go there but I've never met them.

As far as tutorials and information, myvolt.com has a section with a lot of videos to educate on the Volt and how it works. Of course any specific questions you may have I'm sure the gang here will be happy to answer.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Enjoy,

The frustrating thing for me the first day was the two different configure buttons. Took a bit to figure out which was for what.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Long Island? At a least a few Illinois Volts were driven OUT of LI a few years ago, including mine. Flew into Islip, Volted home. That was when the Volt was available in only 7 states.

What I did was read the manual (PDF) front to back before I picked up the car. Then my wife and I went through it again on the drive home to Illinois. There really is too much to cover/learn at pickup and many of the sales staff simply will not know the car as well as you might expect.

Make sure the printed owners manual in in the glovebox, the portable charger, cargo cover, and air compressor are in the cargo hatch.

In over two years I have never needed to jump the car or jump someone else's, but knowing where the front and rear terminals are and which to use when jumping or being jumped is good to know. As is how to operate the air compressor. More than one person has failed that test, or squirted goop instead of air. Closing the hood or hatch is simply a matter of letting them drop from about 10". No pushing or slamming needed (or recommended).

Make sure you let the dealer know clearly that you expect a full battery and a full tank. Inspect the car slowly. Hard to do with a new toy, but some have been burned when they later discovered a dent, stain, etc. If you find damage, stop, do not sign for the car. Make them fix it first. Best inspection method? Hand wash the car, or white glove it with a cotton glove like the QC inspectors do. Crazy, but you will find things your excited eyes otherwise would not.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Steverino is correct. Definitely need to RTFM (Read The Friggen Manual). There will be things the salesman doesn't know for sure. I've educated a few car sales folk on the cars they sell quite a few times. As far as any damage or anything like that the most likely case is they will give you a we-owe for whatever needs to be done and you can still take the car with you that day and return for any repairs if that is what you wish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First Responder friend of mine said that GM shipped out a ton of Volts when they came out so that they could be trained in how to dismantle them. He said they cut apart the car. Learned where all the emergency cut spots were, etc.

I just got mine 3 weeks ago. What I did was to try to consume as many online videos about using the systems as I could. I'm sure there's some tricks to using some of the systems that I've not figured out yet but in due time and perhaps I should RTFM.

I've read and re-read all the info though in the manual on charging. Honestly knowing it all has been nice but my experience in these 3 weeks, just plug it in! I barely slept the first night I had the car plugged in. Kept going out to the garage to check the outlet, making sure it wasn't going to start a fire, this even after the electrician had been out. But still I was nervous. The outlet was barely warm, a nice electrical style warmth :D!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Forgot one more thing. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY THE VOLTEC L2 CHARGER FROM SPX/BOSCH! Garbage.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
And depending on how you are going to drive the volt you may want to skip the full tank,
OR have to watch the Volt burn off all that old gas a year later :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update - I started this thread. I've had my 2013 Volt for 9 months - I LOVE THIS CAR !!!
No problems. Very happy with my Elec. range and my gas range. I do 65- 71 mph on my commute and I get 41 miles range on electric and about 39 - 40 mpg on gas in 70 degree weather (prob 35 elec/36 gas in 20 degree weather).
I love the low gear and I find this to be a great safety feature on slippery winter roads as you rarely need to touch the brake (particularly in stop n go traffic). The forward collision alert is amazing. I find the seats very comfortable and don't miss power seats.
The features that I am least impressed with are the back up camera (poor visibility), and the NAV (hard to get acceptable response when sliding my finger across the screen to advance the field). In closing - I absolutely hate driving other cars now . We also have a Prius and a Suburban. The new Suburban does have an outstanding back-up camera though !

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
After over 3 years behind the Volt's steering wheel, I feel the same about mine as well. I still get a thrill driving my car of the future :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts