GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently bought a 2012 (Canada), and the power cord that I have is the orange 110v one. It looks like it's in pretty sad shape, the ground prong seems slightly bent and it gets really warm when I charge it. The problem is that I actually bought the car over a month ago, then I flew back to Germany to sell my house and get my stuff in order. So, now I'm only just starting to drive the car and find out things that need to be addressed.

I've asked the dealer about a recall, they are looking into it, he said. Does anyone have the Canadian Recall information so that I can show it to them if needed? I don't want to get stuck paying for a new charger if the car should have gotten one.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I recently bought a 2012 (Canada), and the power cord that I have is the orange 110v one. It looks like it's in pretty sad shape, the ground prong seems slightly bent and it gets really warm when I charge it. The problem is that I actually bought the car over a month ago, then I flew back to Germany to sell my house and get my stuff in order. So, now I'm only just starting to drive the car and find out things that need to be addressed.

I've asked the dealer about a recall, they are looking into it, he said. Does anyone have the Canadian Recall information so that I can show it to them if needed? I don't want to get stuck paying for a new charger if the car should have gotten one.

Thanks so much!
First be sure you have the one that should have been recalled. Mine was replaced in the first weeks I had my car, so my memory might be inaccurate, but I believe the original had an orange cord for both the short end, the one that plugs into the wall, and the longer end. It was replaced with one with a heavier, black short end but had the same orange long cord.

I'd be surprised if there are any Volts out there that have not had the EVSE replaced at some time in the past four years. It was done as an over-the-counter swap, and I believe the original units were destroyed.

Also, remember that there are two parts to that connection, and a poor wall socket connection will get excessively hot.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Just a terminology clarification: "charger" vs Charge Cord, EVSE

Charger-vs.-EVSE.jpg Charger-vs.-EVSE 2.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Fyodor is right. Make sure your outlet is a quality one, not the 1$ cheap ones and also make sure the connection behing the oultlet is using the screws not the quickclip connection and the line must be dedicated to the EVSE ONLY. I strongly insist on that last part. 12A is the absolute maximum allowed on a 15A breaker and thats a lot of electrons, so you have to make sure everything is safe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't think our evse's were recalled as such. Mine was replaced after it failed. The replacement has continued to work. If you notice heat a little is normal, but something that is uncomfortable is not good. If the ground is bent I wouldn't be too concerned. If the evse cannot make a good connection, it will not work at all. I agree, check the quality of the outlet.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I don't think our evse's were recalled as such. Mine was replaced after it failed. The replacement has continued to work.
It's been a while, but I remember being a little non-plussed at getting the letter from GM when my car was about a week old. I think it was a recall of some sort, which is why I doubt there are any of the originals still out there.

Perhaps yours failed before the recall reached you.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I got 2 with my NEW 2012 Volt

Took one to dealer and got the replacement and put that one in the trunk storage slot.

I have used the other original orange unit in a covered parking space for the past 5 years.

I think the secret on plugs is to use a TIGHT well made short ext-cord and never need to touch the wall socket again.

This also lets you put a Kill-A-WATT meter in the string where it can air cool

·
Registered
24 Posts
After fighting the "hot plug" on the ESVE, I had mine replaced by a GMC dealer.
I put in a dedicated circuit, replaced the receptacle, etc but still had a plug that was very hot. I went to the local GMC dealer who had a Volt certified mechanic, but he was no longer there. The service writer said the EVSE was recalled and got me a new one which has black cords on both ends.
No more heat problem.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
After fighting the "hot plug" on the ESVE, I had mine replaced by a GMC dealer.
I put in a dedicated circuit, replaced the receptacle, etc but still had a plug that was very hot. I went to the local GMC dealer who had a Volt certified mechanic, but he was no longer there. The service writer said the EVSE was recalled and got me a new one which has black cords on both ends.
No more heat problem.
We may be talking about apples and oranges here if yours is not a 2011 or 2012 model. As far as I know only the early cars had the recall.

Later cars came with different EVSEs, and by default charged at 8 amps.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
We may be talking about apples and oranges here if yours is not a 2011 or 2012 model. As far as I know only the early cars had the recall.

Later cars came with different EVSEs, and by default charged at 8 amps.
And that option was set in the car, not the EVSE. Which kind of suggests that there may be a case where a 2011/2012 used with an EVSE from a later Volt may end up unable to use both ampacity settings, and be stuck with one. (Whether they'll default to 8 or 12 remains to be tested.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts