GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I've seen a jump in the All electric Range for my Volt! Temps in Maryland climbed into the 60's and 70's over the past few days. Although my indicated range with a full charge read 30 miles, (calculated based on past performance) My actual range was over 45! I returned home last night with 40 miles driven, 6 miles range indicated. I drive in Normal, Low on with mostly suburban streets with a few highway miles. Climate was fans only, windows up. I passed 1000 miles and my Lifetime average mpg is 108 and climbing.

Volt 63 is a happy camper!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice increase indeed ! Here in Florida we have had those temps all along, and my battery distance hit a high of 48.5 on one particular trip...... most trips fall into the lower 40's. I am curious to what extent the high summer temps in Florida will degrade the distance, perhaps somewhat like your colder temps do up north in winter....will be interesting to see which of the two, heat or cold, has the most adverse effect on battery distance.
Enjoy the warmer temps up there for your battery driving AND your personal comfort.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same experience here in Northern VA. Thursday I followed my normal routine where I usually spend about 5 - 10 miles on gas, this week, arrived home with 10 miles of battery to spare! Unfortunately sounds like the cold weather is returning...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've noticed the same here in Michigan. We had a couple of days in the mid 40's which is WARM lol and the range has improved significantly. I've been getting about 35 miles instead of the 20-30 miles when temps are 0-30 ish.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From delivery on 12/21 through 2/16 with temps averaging 28 degrees in south central PA, I had 1203 EV miles at 444whr/m (AER of 29 miles). The last two days with temps averaging 54 degrees, I drove 64 EV miles at 288whr/m (AER of 44.8 miles). Come on Spring!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Great News

Best news I've heard today! Thanks for the reports guys. VERY encouraging.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Houston. Temp 71 degrees. Full charge indicating 45 miles. Has been consistently low 40s.
Waiting to see how bad AC ops will impact range...

Stilgar

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here in NJ I've been getting about 26-30 miles with temps between 20 and 35 degrees, This week we had a 2 day warm spell [it has already ended...dang, lol] and with temperatures starting in the morning about 45 and getting to 60 degrees by the afternoon I was able to get 30 miles out of the battery and arrive home with an estimated 12 miles still left. Probably could have gotten 45 if I used it all.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was able to get 30 miles out of the battery and arrive home with an estimated 12 miles still left. Probably could have gotten 45 if I used it all.
You guys will love the range increase you are going to get with 60s - 70s degree temps.

Makes me wonder why GM conducted an electric car roll-out in areas with very cold temps and snow...it didn't make sense to me to have the "first real use" photos the media would be shooting done in slush and grey rather than blue sky, warm temps and girls in bikinis. Also they wound up having battery driven distances coming in at the low end of their estimates.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Makes me wonder why GM conducted an electric car roll-out in areas with very cold temps and snow...
Right. They could have promised production by November 2010 and then pushed customer deliveries out month by month after that with no explanation as to why.

Oh wait! That's what Nissan has been doing... A couple weeks ago everybody who signed up for a Leaf in 2010 was promised a March delivery (only 5 months late). A couple days ago Nissan updated their customer's dashboards to say April, or May (only 7 months late). That'll make better for initial AER reports.

But it's also made for some really pissed off customers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes me wonder why GM conducted an electric car roll-out in areas with very cold temps and snow...it didn't make sense to me to have the "first real use" photos the media would be shooting done in slush and grey rather than blue sky, warm temps and girls in bikinis. Also they wound up having battery driven distances coming in at the low end of their estimates.
Steve in Boca Raton #313

GM had promised to roll out the Volts before year end, 2010 and they made it. They also provided real world AER of 25 to 50 miles based on blah...blah...blah. Even at 25 miles AER, the Volt saves me a ton of gas and so far, it's only increased my electric bill $20. As the weather continues to warm, I'll really enjoy the range increase and watch the reports from the southerners on how heavy A/C use affects range. In Maryland, summers get pretty hot, so I expect some decrease in range, but I don't anticipate a decrease like we see during the winter.

Volt 63

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The EV mileage was great a couple of weeks ago in Orange County, but the cold rain storm sent it dipping back to 38 miles again during the last two charges. The horn started honking again during charge, could there be change in the ground during wet weather that increased the ground faults? All the equipment is inside, so I am referring to the moisture in the ground with the ground rod.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The EV mileage was great a couple of weeks ago in Orange County, but the cold rain storm sent it dipping back to 38 miles again during the last two charges. The horn started honking again during charge, could there be change in the ground during wet weather that increased the ground faults? All the equipment is inside, so I am referring to the moisture in the ground with the ground rod.
Not sure about where you live, but I haven't had a problem yet. My Volt is outside in the driveway, not in a garage, and has experienced sub freezing temps, 2 blizzards, ice storms, cold rain, warm rain, and 2 half way decent days [lol] since I got it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts