GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in sales, I drive from 150-200 miles per day 5 days a week. I am interested in purchasing a pre-owned 2013-2014 Volt. I can charge the volt for a full charge only at night. I am interested in Saving money on gas. Is the Volt the right car for me?

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
On 240V it's 4 hours to fully recharge. On 120V its 8-9 hours if you have a dedicated circuit.

At 150-200 miles per day your choice would be a Volt, Prius, or Tesla Model S if you have the cash. The cost per mile for a Volt or Prius would be about the same. Longer trips would be in favor of a Prius, shorter a Volt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the intention is to save money on the total cost, the Volt could work out because many 2013's coming off lease are selling for much lower prices than an equivalent Prius. In my area, the 2014 hasn't hit that breakpoint yet.

Are your electricity prices much higher than the national average at 11-12 cents/kWH? This would make a difference in absolute total cost and whether the Prius would be cheaper for you.

Many Volt owners have had Prius in the past. The slight differences in cost comparison would be irrelevant to me, and I'd pick the Volt based on factors other than cost anyway. I'd bet many if not most here would agree.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Not mentioned yet is the better ride you would get with the Volt. Seating is more comfortable. Ride is smoother. Interior is quieter. The Volt is a road car. The Prius not so much. I've owned both.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
On 240V it's 4 hours to fully recharge. On 120V its 8-9 hours if you have a dedicated circuit.

At 150-200 miles per day your choice would be a Volt, Prius, or Tesla Model S if you have the cash. The cost per mile for a Volt or Prius would be about the same. Longer trips would be in favor of a Prius, shorter a Volt.
Model S would also require a full 40 amp, 240 circuit, in order to hope to be done overnight. And can't be reliable with the 40kwh S either; will need at least a 60 one. It's probably a 7 hour charge even then.

200 miles is about the point that a Volt starting with a full battery equals a 50 mpg Prius for amount of gas burned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts