GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freed from the constraint of the cost of gasoline, we have gone to a large number of yard sales each weekend this Spring. In previous years, I would never have been willing to pay for 80 miles of internal combustion engine driving (over two days) to look at potentially nothing of value. All travel had to have a purpose or a pay off: no joyriding. Now we are free to explore with no downside.

I have used the opportunity afforded by the Volt's very low cost of operation to search for Oldsmobile memorabilia. Lansing was home to the former headquarters of Oldsmobile, and I have recovered a number of rare gems this Spring. One of these is a square yard stick that had resided at the Office of Product Delivery, and is so labeled ("as a member of the Oldsmobile & Fisher Body team - YOUR BEST DEAL IS ON A NEW OLDSMOBILE - Call IV 5-9111, Ext. 666 Product Delivery Corners Olds & Logan"); this is not the type of thing you can get on eBay. Another item, which I have several of, is an auto window sticker which says, "My next car will be a Chevrolet Volt" (note the attached image).

NextVolt.jpg

Saturday we are attending an estate sale, which I happen to know includes unique Oldsmobile items. Woohoo!

·
Registered
60 Posts
See, just another reason to love this car....I do EXACTLY the same thing.....driving feels like it's now "Free" ..that is so sweet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's occurred to me the driving the Volt is the rebirth of the "Sunday Drive"...

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's occurred to me the driving the Volt is the rebirth of the "Sunday Drive"...
It's not just for Sunday though, although you're right about that.

I find that I can now drive to several stores just to compare a particular item. When I decide which store has the one I like best, I go there. Before it felt like a waste of gas to do all the driving around, now it's just fun...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like we need a poll: Since getting a Volt, do people drive more, less, or the same? I've gone about 600 miles per month to about 900. But some of that is my wife - she leaves her car home whenever possible now!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I will usually detail my Volt early Sunday morning after all my weekend chores/errands have been completed and when I'm finished I have a fully charged and detailed Volt just begging to be driven. So my wife and I will fire up the Volt and take a cruise (am getting 44to 48 EV miles right now) and go to those odd out of the way shops, stores, restaurants, places or to visit friends just for us w/o regard to why and w/o any time constraints. It's pure pleasure driving that we may not have considered if I was sucking down fossil fuel.

We love our Sunday's together. We even talk more. Who knew it could be good for a marriage too? But this is where I miss a nice BIG sun roof.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
gaulfinger i like your poll idea. moderators are you listening?
Various users have created polls in the past. You do not have to be a moderator to do this. May want to think about a good breakdown.

At lunch I went to the electronics story the other day for a 32GB USB drive on sale. They were out. Dang wasted $0.15 driving there <grin> but still was nice to get out at lunch and fun driving the Volt in new areas.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
The wife now is cherry picking the grocery adds for the loss leaders in our area. She never did this before and I think it is a combination of free driving and the dreaded Volt grinitosis.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's certainly changed my driving patterns. If I've got it charged in the driveway, and it's sunny and predicted sunny, well, I have no place else to put the solar power (not even the power company, as I'm truly off grid). So, might as well go out and have some fun!
The new solar system easily takes care of the house demands even on cloudy days now...so for me it's a case of use it or lose it when the Volt is charged up and more is pouring in. I get the choice - go have some fun, or just let all that power fall on the floor unused.

Yes, I could get busy in my little machine shop, but truly - even a welder or lathe only draws about 1/3 the Volt charge power, and I can't run all the machines at once usefully with just me here. After all, none of those even attempt to toss a 2 ton brick up hills...quickly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In terms of joyriding, I love it when I have a full charge and not a long way to drive (no chance of CS). I take the opportunity to put the A/C on comfort and hammer the throttle with impunity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts