GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM policy change says they can now charge you for basic services they used to provide for free.
GM is now charging a monthly fee to use your remote App.
We need to unite-we need lawyers, petitions, consumer awareness, some Reddit / Facebook pages, demonstrations.
Will it ever end? maybe soon they will charge for using your windshield wipers, brakes or headlights

Will you assist or take lead?

·
Registered
171 Posts
GM policy change says they can now charge you for basic services they used to provide for free.
We need to unite-we need lawyers, petitions, consumer awareness, some Reddit / Facebook pages, demonstrations.
Will it ever end? maybe soon they will charge for using your windshield wipers, brakes or headlights

I think the moderators need to chime in on this.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
GM charging extra for extra services, how dare they? When you chose "Volt Ripoff" as your name, it pretty much defines you as a one note complainer. Have you thought about getting a matching hat and t-shirt?

Sure, go ahead and sue them. Keep us posted on the other outrages in your life like paying for an extra meal at the restaurant, paying for extra ingredients on your pizza, paying for extra gas at the station. The hyperbole of linking the voluntary OnStar subscription service to wiper blades and headlights just means few if anyone will take you seriously.

It's so ridiculous I'm guessing this is a day early April Fools joke? If so, it did not work well for VW's Voltswagen stunt either.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
171 Posts
GM charging extra for extra services, how dare they? When you chose "Volt Ripoff" as your name, it pretty much defines you as a one note complainer. Have you thought about getting a matching hat and t-shirt?

Sure, go ahead and sue them. Keep us posted on the other outrages in your life like paying for an extra meal at the restaurant, paying for extra ingredients on your pizza, paying for extra gas at the station. The hyperbole of linking the voluntary OnStar subscription service to wiper blades and headlights just means few if anyone will take you seriously.

It's so ridiculous I'm guessing this is a day early April Fools joke? If so, it did not work well for VW's Voltswagen stunt either.
Agree 100%. This is plain silly. How dare anyone charge for extra services. He should own a Tesla an outrage over the $150 per year for the 'premium' connectivity services... Hahaha! Or own a BMW and complain about the Android Auto fee of $500... Or the annual licensing fee at the DMV or the extra cheese charge on his Panzerotti or....

#litigationlife

·
Registered
708 Posts
He should own a Tesla an outrage over the $150 per year for the 'premium' connectivity services
well, I get my connectivity free for life with mine.:)

·
Registered
216 Posts

Dude, get off it already. Just pay for the SERVICE like I do. I get it for $15 a month and have the other OnStar features. If you are that cheap then use the key fob that is no extra charge to start your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
36 Posts
It's not just GM, many companies are moving to a subscription model for their products and/or services. Microsoft comes to mind with many of its software products moving to a subscription model. It's a sign of the times. You don't necessarily own the software on your computer, you just have a license to use it. This approach even applies to some of the software in your car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Agree 100%. This is plain silly. How dare anyone charge for extra services. He should own a Tesla an outrage over the $150 per year for the 'premium' connectivity services... Hahaha! Or own a BMW and complain about the Android Auto fee of $500... Or the annual licensing fee at the DMV or the extra cheese charge on his Panzerotti or....

#litigationlife

BMW used to charge $500 for a subscription for wireless Apple Car Play too. Now, they offered it free to new buyers. My new 440i came with free 20 years subscription and my 430i eventually had free Car Play after OTA update.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
So I see you changed the post title. Get a life.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Nope, you are charging up that hill alone. And it's going to cost you a lot more than the subscription fee to get an attorney interested.

·
Registered
216 Posts
BMW used to charge $500 for a subscription for wireless Apple Car Play too. Now, they offered it free to new buyers. My new 440i came with free 20 years subscription and my 430i eventually had free Car Play after OTA update.
This is different, wireless CarPlay is not a service, it’s a device with possibly a one time license fee to Apple for the manufacturer. There is no ongoing costs. OnStar, regardless of the package, has recurring costs for the software maintenance, server upkeep, etc. So someone needs to pay for that. It’s great if GM picks up that tab and if that’s what the deal was when the car was purchased, they should honor it. But if they change it with a new model
year then I see no problem with it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is different, wireless CarPlay is not a service, it’s a device with possibly a one time license fee to Apple for the manufacturer. There is no ongoing costs. OnStar, regardless of the package, has recurring costs for the software maintenance, server upkeep, etc. So someone needs to pay for that. It’s great if GM picks up that tab and if that’s what the deal was when the car was purchased, they should honor it. But if they change it with a new model
year then I see no problem with it.

BMW was charging a yearly subscription fee or a long term subscription fee for Wireless Carplay.
Only the newer model year got a free upgrade to long term OTA update for Carplay.
Older model year still has to pay an annual subscription or pay a lump sum charge to have it. I know personally since I've owned 3 new BMW during this transition period.
This has been a long debated sore subject for many BMW owners. However, they offered free phone app service to new customers.

But each company has the right to manage their system anyway they choose just like how a consumer does not have to purchase from any manufacturer if they so choose. There is no such thing as a free ride.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It's not just GM, many companies are moving to a subscription model for their products and/or services. Microsoft comes to mind with many of its software products moving to a subscription model. It's a sign of the times. You don't necessarily own the software on your computer, you just have a license to use it. This approach even applies to some of the software in your car.
And in a large part, it's a reaction to people balking at having the price for those things rolled into a single purchase. The full Office desktop suite as a "forever license" for commercial use costs about $600 a seat, and if you want the new version next year, it's another $350 a seat or so, and small businessing wwail and rend their garments about not being able to afford $1200 for their four employees. By subscription model, and it's $12.50 a month ($150 per year) per seat, with custom domain email hosting and cloud backup of the documents you create and syncing across multiple devices, and it's always the newest version, and MS can tell the wailing small businesses "Okay, now it's only $50 a month. You can afford THAT, right?"

·
Registered
854 Posts
And in a large part, it's a reaction to people balking at having the price for those things rolled into a single purchase. The full Office desktop suite as a "forever license" for commercial use costs about $600 a seat, and if you want the new version next year, it's another $350 a seat or so, and small businessing wwail and rend their garments about not being able to afford $1200 for their four employees. By subscription model, and it's $12.50 a month ($150 per year) per seat, with custom domain email hosting and cloud backup of the documents you create and syncing across multiple devices, and it's always the newest version, and MS can tell the wailing small businesses "Okay, now it's only $50 a month. You can afford THAT, right?"
All good and fine if you're selling a product that actually works and is useful, and the monthly price fits with what the buyer gets out of it.

$15/month for the basic plan (minimum required for remote start, which is all I care about) is more than what you say the cost of Microsoft Word is - a far more complex piece of software that I use for literally hours every day. That's absurd. Even more absurd: since the app update, remote start doesn't even work for me anymore.

That said, the call for a class action lawsuit is... odd?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
All good and fine if you're selling a product that actually works and is useful, and the monthly price fits with what the buyer gets out of it.

$15/month for the basic plan (minimum required for remote start, which is all I care about) is more than what you say the cost of Microsoft Word is - a far more complex piece of software that I use for literally hours every day. That's absurd. Even more absurd: since the app update, remote start doesn't even work for me anymore.

That said, the call for a class action lawsuit is... odd?
That's an assessment of value. If it's not of good value to you, you have the option to not buy it. But that's a completely separate issue from whether it should be included in the price of the vehicle, in perpetuity, where it may make the price of the car $500 higher, which you have no choice not to include, and it STILL not work properly for you. OP here is mad that there even exists an option to not buy it after the initial freebie runs out and instead insists that it should all be paid for up front in the purchase price of the car, and last for as long as the car exists.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The audacity of a company to charge you service fees for having to maintain a dedicated cellular network directly to your vehicle 24/7 to start, monitor your vehicle statistics, lock and unlock your vehicle, maintain an app for both cellular phone's platform and monitor the software and vehicle hardware for tampering and theft and send you immediate alert while not filling the app with advertisement! :whistle:

·
Registered
854 Posts
... while not filling the app with advertisement! :whistle:
There's an idea. I'd put up with having to see ads in the app if I could get remote start for free. Assuming the ads aren't too intrusive. I'd rather step into a cold car than endure a 30 second video that must be watched to get to the remote start screen.

OP here is mad that there even exists an option to not buy it after the initial freebie runs out and instead insists that it should all be paid for up front in the purchase price of the car, and last for as long as the car exists.
As I said... odd.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
When literally your entire online identity is myopically wrapped around "ripoff", where do you go from there? Every post is tainted with that biased negativity. Like a driver just laying on their off-key horn, few will want to stick around to listen. Yes, odd and self-defeating.

A better approach would have been to ask a question rather than a call to arms for a lawyer-led war against a service subscription fee cast as a villainous and fraudulent crime.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
263 Posts
There's an idea. I'd put up with having to see ads in the app if I could get remote start for free. Assuming the ads aren't too intrusive. I'd rather step into a cold car than endure a 30 second video that must be watched to get to the remote start screen.

As I said... odd.
It will probably be one of those interactive ad that requires you to answer questions, pick the correct pictures while you sit through 6 minutes of commercials about IBS, and erectile dysfunction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts