GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shopping for lease deals on my Volt, the best offers I got were all on LT's that didn't include the Bose option. So, at a minimum, I was looking to add a bit of bottom end to the sound of the stock audio. I saw a number of people added the Bose enclosure with a Dayton Audio driver, which is a great option for preserving the cargo space. But because the Volt is already pretty limited in this area and is mainly just acting as my commuter car, I wasn't too concerned about gobbling up more cargo area. So I ended up with a JL Audio Microsub+ (the powered version) - ACP108LG-W3v3. Here it is installed in the hatch:

I initially was going to install it on the other side so it'd hide the wires better, but it would also make it more difficult to adjust the level and crossover as I was tweaking the system. So I'm OK with seeing the wires. I also adding a cinching strap after this to fix the sub to the cargo tiedown point on that side.

No substantial thoughts on sound yet as I just put it in this weekend. I'll update later.

The install was mostly uneventful, but I should have been more careful in removing the B-pillar panel to access the rear door speaker wires for the high level input. I broke a few clips, and it doesn't seat fully now. So I'll need to pick up a new panel at some point and replace it.

More to come.

Keith

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Looks good, I'm looking forward to hear how it sounds...I wouldn't worry about the wires too much because you can (and always should) leave the fabric cover on pretty much all the time...Otherwise you're offering a dream scenario for a thief who wants a quick smash and grab...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Having lived with the Microsub for a while now, I can add some thoughts on its performance:

• The sub lives up to all the reviews. Frankly, about the only negatives I read prior to purchasing it was that it's fairly expensive compared to some competitor offerings
  • The sound quality and depth of extension belie the fact that's it only a single 8" in a relatively small box. You can easily convince yourself you're listening to something much larger at moderate listening levels
  • The bass is both tight and extended (within reason). No boominess, no overhang, and it's pretty effortless sounding down in the mid 30 Hz region. About all I can ask for, really. They really got the tuning right on this one for good vehicle integration
I was surprised enough in one listening/tuning session that, just to verify the box isn't breaking the laws of physics, I went and put Felix Hell - Organ Sensation on my iPod (a crazy subwoofer workout if there ever was one). And sure enough, the bottom octave is totally missing- no surprise for a ported box no doubt tuned somewhere in the 30's. So at least the Microsub+ isn't working magic.

It is still just a single 8". At one point, I had it turned up quite loud at a stop, with the mirror vibrating all over and lots of deep bass content music going. I then got on the highway, and the automatic volume control turned the sound up even more. At that point, the sub cut out until I turned it down slightly as the clipping or driver protection kicked in. But that's been the only time so far, and I've never heard any distortion from the back.

So, in summary, I'm quite pleased given the sub's size. If you're willing to spend a few bucks more than the average sub, I doubt you'll find a lot to criticize here. And the wires both unplug in a single block for easy removal, so it wouldn't be hard to take out if you really needed the extra cargo space here and there.

Keith

S

·
0 Posts
OMG, I am glad I ran across this thread! I am adding a compact sub under the front passenger seat. Where did you run your wires to to pick up the audio signal? Would you have any pictures?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts