GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy is doing well. Dodge was a surprise to me.

On Wednesday, J.D. Power has just released its Initial Quality Survey for 2020. Conducted annually for the past 34 years, the survey queries buyers of new cars of that model year to find out what, if any, problems they encountered within the first 90 days of ownership. Each brand is then ranked on the number of problems it experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
After watching Munro's teardown of the Model Y I'm surprised Tesla is only at 2.5 problems per car. Buyers are not only beta testers but the QC inspector too.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Given my history with Dodge, I'd like to see this same survey at warranty expiration + one month.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the Dodge result surprised me as well. Perhaps they have upped their game.

Tesla being dead last, wow.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I cruised through the lot of the local FCA dealer today and they look stripped of Rams and Jeeps. Somebody is buying them. I'm looking because I need a fill-in till the cybertruck is available.
Sandy Munro says FCA went through their program with the v6 pentastar so that's encouraging to me.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dodge at one end and Chrysler at the other.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
So initially everything looks good, then later you notice things falling apart much sooner than expected. Least that's how it seemed with my last Dodge.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
In other news, FCA will build a PHEV version of Jeep Wrangler, Renegade, and Compass. Wrangler the ZF transmission with internal electric motor and the others ICE FWD and electric RWD on demand?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
JD Powers surveys are reasonably good for initial quality, which is important. If you buy a car that then has to spend time in the shop you're ownership experience will tend to be lower for the life of the car, even if it's a single repair and then you don't have any more problems for several years. Where JD Powers falls down is they don't do long term ownership surveys, which is the other half of the quality story.

·
Registered
972 Posts
They mentioned that infotainment issues, like connecting your phone to blue tooth, are accounting for a lot of the problems. I consider those more operator errors. The numbers are so much better today than they were in the past.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
And yet ... we have the below. I think once you get 'mainstream' (beyond [email protected] retentive early adopters the general public doesn't get worked up about minor things)

Tesla delivers 90,650 vehicles in Q2 2020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts