GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Apologies if already posted ;P Did a quick check...

Anyhoo the 2011 Volt gets the best rating in its class:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

yes this is a duplicate thread and link. but dig closely and owners (or those who answer the survey at least) are reporting differently for newer cars, but my 2013 Volt experience has been nearly flawless.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
It is one reason I decided to buy the 2011 in 2012. I figured get the first model year, a few thousand after they started building them. It's been solid going on two years now. But - no hold mode... However, doesn't matter, I used MM for that and it works well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Apologies if already posted ;P Did a quick check...

Anyhoo the 2011 Volt gets the best rating in its class:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm
It's not as good as it would seem on first look...

Predicted reliability of Volt (out of 5 stars):
2011 *****
2012 ****
2013 ***
2014 ***

Overall quality (out of 5 stars):
2011 ****
2012 ****
2013 ***
2014 ***

·
Registered
766 Posts
This has been posted before but I don't mind seeing it again ;) I look forward to the day when my Volt hits 100k with no significant issues and I can boast about this to my Toyota and Honda owning coworkers. They currently think I am nuts for jumping from Toyota.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's my baby! 2011 Viridian Joule. It's funny, many times when a new car comes out, it's plagued with problems. These problems are resolved in subsequent model years. With the Volt, it's as if the first year model was over engineered to reduce problems and to garner public acceptance of such a radically different kind of car. Although Gm has added a few new features to the later years, they have also de-contented many features as well. I enjoy the fact that my car has the built-in hard drive for music storage, not found (even as an option) on the newer models. I'm so glad I own my 2011 instead of lease. I plan to keep it at least 10 years. With over 32000 miles my range estimater reported 40 miles available yesterday when I booted it up. With several long trips under my belt and a brutally cold winter, her lifetime mpg average is 142 mpg. After 2 years of ownership I get the gee whiz feeling evertime I drive her, and I almost can't stand to drive or even ride in an ice car. Except for the one fact that it's a little bit small for my liking, it's the best car I've ever owned. I read this website daily, and there is a lot of criticism about how GM should change this vehicle to make it better. Of course I agree with many of those ideas, but if I had to go out and buy another car today, there's no doubt I'd get another Volt. I'd probably try to find a low mileage used 2011.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I, too, love my Volt and I'm fascinated by the technology. Ancedotally, we've had no problems in the first six weeks except for two simple rattles that I found and fixed.

I bought it after reading the 2014 Consumer Reports auto issue which listed a 91% owner satisfaction, higher than any other vehicle except the Tesla. I also noted it was rated average reliability. I never before purchased a car listed on the CR owner survey as average reliability. My fingers are "crossed."

Just after buying it, I found this forum and saw a number of concerns about bearings, electrical gremlins (reboots and the like) and quite a few postings about multiple, unsuccessful service events.

BUT...maybe it's my imagination or my hope that these seem to be tailing off. Maybe it is as TennesseeJoule suggested that the reliability data lags the current situation and, going forward, reliability will improve to above average or, dare I suggest it, excellent.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I, too, love my Volt and I'm fascinated by the technology. Ancedotally, we've had no problems in the first six weeks except for two simple rattles that I found and fixed.

I bought it after reading the 2014 Consumer Reports auto issue which listed a 91% owner satisfaction, higher than any other vehicle except the Tesla. I also noted it was rated average reliability. I never before purchased a car listed on the CR owner survey as average reliability. My fingers are "crossed."

Just after buying it, I found this forum and saw a number of concerns about bearings, electrical gremlins (reboots and the like) and quite a few postings about multiple, unsuccessful service events.

BUT...maybe it's my imagination or my hope that these seem to be tailing off. Maybe it is as TennesseeJoule suggested that the reliability data lags the current situation and, going forward, reliability will improve to above average or, dare I suggest it, excellent.
I'm on several car forums and the problems posts are generally a huge percentage of the posts on most forums...it is MARKEDLY less on the Volt forum. As I was researching Volts about 2 years ago I started coming here and I noticed that right away. At first I dismissed it with "well, there aren't that many Volts", but 2 years later there are enough of them that we would definitely be seeing it here on the forum if there were chronic issues. It's not just "because it is electric either". Heck, the new Golf has a multi-page thread on one of those forms around the crappy wiper blades! It is important to note, that I tend to be on European car forums and the problem level there is often, well, let's just call it "high".

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Our 2012 with 20K miles feels and sounds tighter than our 2013 with 6K miles. Not sure what is different, but for me (and I'm very sensitive) the 2012 feels like a better built car.

But BOTH have been trouble free (aside from software updates and a stuck charge port door).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts