GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the feasibility of a J1772 extension cord? With so many charging spots being ICEd, the idea of a J1772 extension cord (25' would do wonders) would facilitate being able to charge in a spot that otherwise you cannot reach the charging station.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It would be possible, but neither trivial or cheap. Adding another set of contacts in series in a high current circuit has at least minor reliability/safety issues. There is also a low level signal in the cable - the pilot signal from the charge station to the car which controls how much energy the car is allowed to pull. That signal is relatively high impedance, and the drivers are not specified to handle a lot of extra cable capacity to the ground shield. It would probably work, but be a little outside the specification for net capacitive loading on the pilot signal unless extra low capacity dielectric cable were used.

Those connectors aren't cheap by the way - they are the bulk of the cost of the existing EVSE cables - and this would need two of them, one each male and female. Not sure if anyone makes a female connector meant for straight cable use - the ones I've seen need to be put in a box perhaps.

You could put such a thing together with parts from here:
http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like the concept - that really would help out a lot. Sound like there are some technical challenges to answer (also, how to make theft unlikely if this thing is expensive). Business opportunity?
Like the term, too: "ICE'd"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Good luck trying to secure that cable. You're looking at $150+ in parts and cable that might walk away.

·
Registered
915 Posts
These guys can probably build you one..

http://www.tucsonev.com/

I think it would actually be useful, if you have one charger in your garage and end up with TWO ev's and you are sharing, it would mean not having to relocate the charger. You could easily add a steel cable lock to secure it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I like the concept - that really would help out a lot. Sound like there are some technical challenges to answer (also, how to make theft unlikely if this thing is expensive). Business opportunity?
Like the term, too: "ICE'd"
Good luck trying to secure that cable. You're looking at $150+ in parts and cable that might walk away.
Nah, come on - securing would be easy. Just make an anti-theft cable the same as I did for my portable EVSE (see link in sig). $5 in parts from Home Depot. I do like the J1772 extension idea though, looks like you could build it for about $340 plus shipping from tucsonev. Definitely something I will consider depending on what happens with my charge station setup at work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts