GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I buy just the J1772 plug that plugs into the Volt? I want to make my own charge station, charge the Volt with the 220 in my garage, almost have the wiring figured out... I don't want to spend the $1000 for GE's chargeport at homedepot online. They make way too much money on this stuff. At least Homedepot isn't trying for the $1500 I found them for on another site! Do people actually pay more than they need to cause they won't shop and compare? Sure...

I also own a Chevy S10 that I converted to Electric 3 years ago, and until I drove the Volt, I had'nt bought gas in over a year! I'd like to convert it to a J1772, but not spend to much $$$$

When I was looking for ceramic heaters, I found an EV site selling them for $250 each. Then I found that you can pull a ceramic heater from an $18 unit you can get at any hardware store!

So back to subject... Where can I purchase a J1772 plug? When they first came out I had found a site selling them for $150??

·
Registered
312 Posts
there is an open source evse project on google. They have sources for all the parts. But the j1772 connector is still going to run you $200 or so.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious, how will you solve the logic to provide the permissives to the Volt to start charging? Are you custom building a logic solver? If so, would you mind sharing the design?

WVhybrid
There's data out there, two resistors and a diode, maybe a signal generator... I'm still lookin ginto it, but if you search, you'll see some people are putting out their own charging stations. I'll share whatever I end up with.

Everything I do, that half works, goes on at youtube/f16bmathis

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a huge DIY type. Like, I would pretty much rebuild every single thing I own, a better way, if I had time.

That being said, I'm leery of EV adopters jimmy-rigging their Volts. Why? Two words: PR risk.

Scrap the rest of my comment (I deleted a portion I wrote here about fire risk from home-made EVs. I just reviewed this useful article, below). But still, I'd say, be cautious.
http://gm-volt.com/2011/05/18/exclusive-chevrolet-volt-unofficially-cleared-in-connecticut-garage-fire/
Its not that complicated. I've built a low voltage (144V DC) EV Chevy S10. Installed the batteries, charger, BMS system, DC/DC converter, ceramic heaters, motor, controller. This is just a "not so simple" extention cord that needs a little info to operate. And the correct plug!

I found one diagram here: http://jackrickard.blogspot.com/2011/01/j1772-2009-charging-for-your-ev.html

12V = Not Connected
9V = Connected, Not Ready
6V = Connected, Ready

+/- 12V PWM? The fun is in figuring it out!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
What would this do for the Volt warranty? Not me brother. Why not get the Voltec unit for under $500 insead of the $1000 GE? Mine works just fine.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Our friends over on MNL are looking into getting 32A Dostar plugs. Perhaps you can leverage in with them or the OpenEVSE group?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It wouldn't do anything to the warranty if you don't tell them, certainly.

I'm working up my own charger too as the existing ones, even the open source one, don't do all I want. I want continuously variable commanded charge rate so I can use this as a diversion load for my solar system - have it only take the extra.

The plugs will eventually be cheap, this is a situation where they are cheap now if you can afford to buy a shipping container of them off someone at alibaba - but as always, our electronics retailers, and even GM, see blood in the water and are making hay while the sun shines. Sooner or later a major distributer will buy that whole load, and shove the idiots like ITT off the table - this wouldn't be the first time, or even the 10th that's happened, it just takes awhile.

The spec is too large to upload here, but you can get it from the bottom of the wikipedia page for SAE J1772. Pretty much all you need to know is there. Here's a link to the page. The link to the spec is near the bottom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

·
Registered
761 Posts
I want continuously variable commanded charge rate so I can use this as a diversion load for my solar system - have it only take the extra.
Very interesting. Are you charging during daylight hours then? Do you anticipate you can get a full charge in one day doing that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its not that complicated. I've built a low voltage (144V DC) EV Chevy S10. Installed the batteries, charger, BMS system, DC/DC converter, ceramic heaters, motor, controller. This is just a "not so simple" extention cord that needs a little info to operate. And the correct plug!

I found one diagram here: http://jackrickard.blogspot.com/2011/01/j1772-2009-charging-for-your-ev.html

12V = Not Connected
9V = Connected, Not Ready
6V = Connected, Ready

+/- 12V PWM? The fun is in figuring it out!
I would suggest purchasing a J1772 control board instead of attempting to build your own. In a nutshell, you don't have to worry too much about the voltage the vehicle is passing back to you (the 9v & 6v), however the car still won't charge unless you pass a 12 volt +/- PWM signal over the control pilot pin. That PWM signal lets the vehicle know how many amps maximum it can draw.

Right now, the most promising solution is to use the Open EVSE that Chris Howell is working on (around $100) to provide the appropriate PWM signal and relay control, and use the J1772 cable from TucsonEV (about $230).

You'll still need to add a two-pole relay ($100+), DC power supply ($20), and suitable enclosure ($30), but is definitely doable for less than $500.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I don't want to spend the $1000 for GE's chargeport at homedepot online. They make way too much money on this stuff.
Um.. Buy a 230V Voltec charger from Ampera shop and put a US-Europe 16A adapter in between? Dunno if the charger can handle 60Hz instead of 50Hz though (Usually AC-DC converters don't really care about Hz).

230V travel adapter seems to be 350€ ~400$

http://www.opel-accessories.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts