GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Likely, some of us will be getting bonus earnings applied to our GM cards within the next few days. I'm pretty sure I won't be one of them, however, since I just redeemed my earnings on my Bolt EV purchase.

Last year, I cashed in my earnings in December on a cheapo Cruze lease, and didn't get the January bonus. I DID get an April $750 bonus earning offer, though. Anyone that doesn't get one this month may get one later in the year.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Likely, some of us will be getting bonus earnings applied to our GM cards within the next few days. I'm pretty sure I won't be one of them, however, since I just redeemed my earnings on my Bolt EV purchase.

Last year, I cashed in my earnings in December on a cheapo Cruze lease, and didn't get the January bonus. I DID get an April $750 bonus earning offer, though. Anyone that doesn't get one this month may get one later in the year.
Well, I did get the card so we will see; however, the Pacifica Hybrid is so good we are probably just going to hold out for it instead and use our money for it. I still might trade but it is going to have to an amazing deal to get me to part with my 2012 volt for a 2017 Volt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a cheap-o Cruze as well Nov 2015. Used up the card earnings but Feb is my card anniversary date had another $500 by April when they added $1,000 as a bonus. Turned around and used it on a leftover 2014 that was clearanced to make room for Gen 2. Not buying another car this year though....

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
I don't care about the paltry bonus earnings. I miss the top-offs (netted you $2500 or $3500 in total rebates, depending on where you are at with spending). I'm curious if anyone got one last year, or whether someone might get one this year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I received a flyer in the mail today. While it doesn't offer an actual bonus, it does offer an increase in the redemption allowance with an additional amount above standard allowance.

i.e. the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade have a standard allowance of $3000, with this promotion I can redeem an additional $2000 of my earnings for a total of $5000 (if I have that much) towards lease or purchase. each vehicle has different standard and promotional allowance (there is a full chart table of how much I can use now)

Not a bonus rather an increase in redemption allowance.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
Well, I received a flyer in the mail today. While it doesn't offer an actual bonus, it does offer an increase in the redemption allowance with an additional amount above standard allowance.

i.e. the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade have a standard allowance of $3000, with this promotion I can redeem an additional $2000 of my earnings for a total of $5000 (if I have that much) towards lease or purchase. each vehicle has different standard and promotional allowance (there is a full chart table of how much I can use now)

Not a bonus rather an increase in redemption allowance.
I am an original GM card owner not subject to redemption limits, but limited by $500 per year for 7 years so $3500 (except when they occasionally run some promotion to juice it up a bit). I wonder how they deal with the classic GM cards? my guess is that they've forgotten the dozen or so of us left who haven't died, cancelled their credit card, or switched to the new buypower card. if you are still on the "New" GM card, you should really consider switching to the BuyPower card as there are no redemption limits, thy just constrain you at the credit card purchases to 2% after the first $250 per year. Even at that rate, I computed that I could have gotten a new ELR for free if I could parlay something like $3M through the BuyPower card. That would require money laundering at an all new level to get a free car.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I got the new flyer today also. With my balance at around 1.8K they were also offering +$750, but I see no language regarding waiving of the redemption limits. My GF is nearing needing a new car and wants a new-gen Malibu**, but if redemption is gonna be capped at $1K, that's not enough to shove us off the fence and go car-shopping when it's 8F outside.

It's not the amount of the bump that irritates me (hey, any free $$$ is a nice bonus), but under the $1K redemption cap, that leaves more balance locked up than I'd like to carry, as I will be driving my 2014 Volt for a long time to come. I could SWEAR I've had past promos come across my desk where the redemption limits were waived. Now I'm not sure when the last time one like that actually did... or when it may again. Damn.

** = Choosing a Malibu over a Volt seems like insanity to me (once you go electric, it's hard to go back). Especially since she has a very short commute 97% of the time. But she's dead set against a Volt for some reason. As with many things feminine, that topic's waaaay beyond my influence, so I'm not rockin' the boat.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
I got the new flyer today also. With my balance at around 1.8K they were also offering +$750, but I see no language regarding waiving of the redemption limits. My GF is nearing needing a new car and wants a new-gen Malibu**, but if redemption is gonna be capped at $1K, that's not enough to shove us off the fence and go car-shopping when it's 8F outside.

It's not the amount of the bump that irritates me (hey, any free $$$ is a nice bonus), but under the $1K redemption cap, that leaves more balance locked up than I'd like to carry, as I will be driving my 2014 Volt for a long time to come. I could SWEAR I've had past promos come across my desk where the redemption limits were waived. Now I'm not sure when the last time one like that actually did... or when it may again. Damn.

** = Choosing a Malibu over a Volt seems like insanity to me (once you go electric, it's hard to go back). Especially since she has a very short commute 97% of the time. But she's dead set against a Volt for some reason. As with many things feminine, that topic's waaaay beyond my influence, so I'm not rockin' the boat.
Smart man letting the Gf win this fight/discussion. For me it was the opposite, my wife insisted on something hybrid/electric and the Malibu hybrid didn't exist at the time. So no CTS-V, vette, mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Chevy SS or Volvo C30 for me... (can anybody guess the common thread amongst those cars listed?) She now habitually steals my car when she wants it knowing full well my commute needs the EV miles over hers. But I love her and love being married, so she wins.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
Wait, you have to spend money on your card as well as buy a new car by the end of feb? That seems counter productive, as you need some cash to buy a new car. Unless you have the cash lying around and needed a new car anyway, don't let these offers cause you to do something stupid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have until May 1 to buy/lease the car. Good deal if you pay off your card every month and pay zero interest.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
You have until May 1 to buy/lease the car. Good deal if you pay off your card every month and pay zero interest.
OK, may 1st is better than reb 28th. Still it doesn't give you much time if you can't find the features you want and need to special order your car with the options you want. Alas, I've never done that - there's more power in haggling on the car sitting on the lot, ignored by other customers for months, and arm twisting the dealership to sell it far below MSRP. Plus, who knows if the CT6 PHEV will be shipping by that time.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes to both. I did it twice previously (GM earnings + farm bureau + 1 other private offer like lease loyalty)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
What about a demo or loaner car?
It should really just depend on the title but there are probably weird exceptions with certain demos. If the car has been titled, then NOPE...I would never expect any points or farm bureau as those only apply to new cars. If the car hasn't been titled (I believe there might be a mileage restriction if my memory is right under certain situations...could be wrong though) then you should be able to use any discounts as the car is still considered new. The title is usually the determining factor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts