GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My Craftsman electric lawnmower hasn't used any gas since I bought it in the early 80's. :p

·
Registered
716 Posts
Reminds me of a joke:

A small town Minnesota farmer and a Texan rancher meet and begin to converse. Minnesotan asks, "How big is your ranch?" Texan says, "Well, I tell you what. If I get up really early in the morning, before the chickens, pack a lunch, jump in my car and start driving, and if I continue driving all day, don't stop for lunch, don't stop for dinner, just keep driving and driving, and if I keep this up until midnight, I STILL won't be past the end of my ranch.

After a pause, the Minnesotan says, "Yah, I once had a car like that too."

So yeah, I once had a gas guzzler lawnmower like that -- used more gas than my car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got the Kobalt 80v mower, weedeater, and blower, and I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Greenworks tools have been great, many companies sell the same tools under their own name now (poulon, kobalt, etc), their parent company is an OEM.

The twin force is a great mower, but their 80 V line is maybe even better with 20 min charge times and better airflow for keeping battery cooler in hot climates, always trade offs though, as they cost more and are a bit heavier. I imagine the Kobalt 80 V mower is the same as my Greenworks 80 V.

Now we need electric lawn tractors, but cost benefit is probably not there.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Small engines with little or no pollution controls can emit way more than a full size SUV. I replaced all small gas engines with battery or corded tools a decade or more ago. Last one was the mower 3-years ago.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Unfortunately, with 24 acres, over 1 acre in my lawn and 4-5 acres in pastures, no battery or corded mower is going to cut it on my farmette. I've got John Deere equipment across the board. A 3032E compact tractor with a 60" bush hog, a Z655 zero turn mower with a 54 inch deck, a 345 garden tractor with a 54" deck, and I used to have a 72 inch 3 point hitch PTO driven finish mower until the gear box broke and Curtis (the company that at made gear boxes for Deeres) no longer carries the box or replacement parts. I'm still looking for a used gear box to a rusty deck that I can salvage. If someone makes a garden tractor with a big deck that can run for an hour mowing while charging a second pack that takes an hour to charge, then I'm in. It will need a 'limp me home mode" where the blades stop spinning when you get to 5% battery capacity to give me enough juice to ride the tractor home - though I have plenty of diesel and gas pwiered tractors to tow it if I'm in a pinch.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reminds me of a joke:

A small town Minnesota farmer and a Texan rancher meet and begin to converse. Minnesotan asks, "How big is your ranch?" Texan says, "Well, I tell you what. If I get up really early in the morning, before the chickens, pack a lunch, jump in my car and start driving, and if I continue driving all day, don't stop for lunch, don't stop for dinner, just keep driving and driving, and if I keep this up until midnight, I STILL won't be past the end of my ranch.

After a pause, the Minnesotan says, "Yah, I once had a car like that too."

So yeah, I once had a gas guzzler lawnmower like that -- used more gas than my car.

Think I bought that car before the volt

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
And where is all the electricity coming from? Coal powered power plants.
That's never been the case where I live (Vancouver Canada), and even in the worst states the amount of pollution and CO2 being emitted by the average fossil fuel fired power plant has substantially improved over the 30+ years I've owned my one electric mower. Can the owners of gas-powered mowers claim that they get "greener" over time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here in the great (politics excepted) state of Texas, we can choose our energy provider. I'm currently paying (after all taxes) $0.077 per kWh for 100% renewable energy. No coal! We are the #1 state in wind energy which generated almost 12% of our electrical energy in 2015.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Now we need electric lawn tractors, but cost benefit is probably not there.
If someone makes a garden tractor with a big deck that can run for an hour mowing while charging a second pack that takes an hour to charge, then I'm in. It will need a 'limp me home mode" where the blades stop spinning when you get to 5% battery capacity to give me enough juice to ride the tractor home - though I have plenty of diesel and gas pwiered tractors to tow it if I'm in a pinch.
http://cubcadetrztszero.com/

Here you go! They claim you can cut a full acre on one charge, but also specify that it has one hour of run time... seems like a short time to get an acre done. Only bad part is it looks like it uses 4 batteries and has 48 volts and charges on 110V regular wall socket. The batteries are not set up to swap and go... you charge them in the tractor. I am sure that if you wanted to purchase another 4 of the correct type of batteries you could swap them out for another hour of run time. Looking at the brochure, that one hour of run time is in "blade boost" mulching mode, probably longer run time with discharge to the side. Consumer reports did a test on the previous version that didn't have mulching capability and they got around 2 hours of cutting time.

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yup, if your live in a state where all of your power is from Coal you only cut the pollution from mowing your lawn to around a tenth of what it is using gasoline powered equipment... not all the way to zero... what is your point?

Keith

·
Registered
751 Posts
Uh, no. In NY very little of our power comes from coal. And most of my power comes from my solar panels anyway. So my electric car, electric lawn mower, electric weed whacker, and electric leaf blower are all not contributing to your future lung cancer, and I am one of the Americans who will be least responsible for the remodeled shoreline our kids and grandkids can expect in 100 years or so.

You're welcome. It would be nice if you could return the favor, though.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My turf is just over an acre of mowing area. I've thought several times that it'd be nice to have a solar charged electric riding mower. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
we cut 5 acres at my house and 2.5 at my mother's...... i have a 72"cut 50hp turbo diesel dixie chopper...... electric powered lawn equipment isn't a viable option in my neighborhood......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts