GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 Volt today. My wife has had her 2015 for about a month. Love it so far. It is the Premium package, so it has more bells and whistles than my wife's.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The only thing better than a Volt is two Volts! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OnStar iOS app shows that the 2015 should have 38psi in the tires, but the 2013 should have 31psi. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
wrong, all Volts should be at 38 pounds.
2011 Volts originally came with a 35 pound rating, but this was updated to be 38 pounds later.
All later Volts were to be 38.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I owned a 12 and 13 and the answer is 38 PSI COLD for BOTH cars. Can verify by looking at the label on the drivers door frame.

I'd refresh the app.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a two Volt household! I have been wanting to get a second plug-in vehicle for years, and finally did a few weeks ago.

I fill my tires to 45 psi to get better range and handeling. The ride is a little firmer but I like that. Tread wear was even across the width of the tire at 30,000+ miles when I traded in my 2011 for a 2014. I have filled them to 50 psi on occasion, which is still below the tire rating of 52 psi max. Some people even run over 52 but I would recommend not going above the tire manufacturer rating.

For most people, sticking to GM's 38 psi specification is the best thing to do.

GSP

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The 31 figure is not correct and is way too low. Check the placard on the car. It says 38. I agree with GSP that higher is better for this car, and 45 is a good set point. If you are not comfortable with that, then consider the placard value to be a minimum and don't let it fall below that. Don't be like most drivers and air it up to the recommended level and then ignore it while it gradually loses pressure for a year until the warning light comes on. You will get excessive shoulder wear, poor cornering and bad reliability from the tires if you run them at all low.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Gen 1 is 38, Gen 2 is 36 psi.
The 2011s are 35 psi, but I run both of mine a 38 psi. The only problem is Discount Tire keeps putting them back to 35 psi each time I have them rotated.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Welcome to the club. Quite a few in the 2 Volt club here, like myself. :D

Oh, and:

·
Registered
706 Posts
The 2011s are 35 psi, but I run both of mine a 38 psi. The only problem is Discount Tire keeps putting them back to 35 psi each time I have them rotated.
Thanks, I didn't know the 11's were different.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked the doorjam sticker. Should be 38psi. The OnStar app is wrong.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My wife is starting to really like my 2017 SRT Volt... and we know what's going to happen soon...

Fortunately, I convinced her to wait for the Bolt early next year.

So it would be a Volt and Bolt for us next year!

·
4,851 Posts
I owned a 12 and 13 and the answer is 38 PSI COLD for BOTH cars. Can verify by looking at the label on the drivers door frame.

I'd refresh the app.
Right, and 2011's actually said 35psi, but most people on here would agree that these "recommended" values are more like minimum values. 40-45psi is a good range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts