GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for wheels for my Gen 1 Volt that won't make me look like a rapper or wannabe racer, and it's been a bit of a struggle. I loved the Z-Spec concept wheels, but they're nearly impossible to get in NA. I kept searching and searching and eventually discovered that the new Equinox (2018+) shares the same wheel specs as the Volt. While I didn't love any of the standard options, as soon as I saw the "True North" edition wheels I was sold;

IMG_20180623_123032.jpg

It's like a match made in heaven! The chrome and black goes beautifully with the accents used along the belt of the car, and because they're OEM, the bowtie badges are there and everything.

IMG_20180623_123024.jpg

IMG_20180623_123147.jpg

I know the title was a little clickbait-y, since it's technically not GM offering 19" for the Volt specifically, but they're OEM wheels and I haven't found anything nearly as close to perfect and wanted - nay, needed, to share.

Some important notes;

- The new wheels are 7.5" not 7" wide, which isn't a huge deal and way better than some of the aftermarket options out there that land in the 8-8.5" territory.
- The hub spec is identical, so 5x115 with 70.3cb. Yay!
- Offset on the 19s is a bit off, at +46 instead of OE +38. But because they're a little bit wider you actually want it to change some, and I'll be ordering 5mm hubcentric spacers which basically get the scrub radius into perfect alignment with the OE spec. It'll also slightly, ever so slightly, push them out more than OE spec, but since they're wider it kind of centers them so they're still technically a little more inward than OE as well. 5mm is about the highest I'm comfortable with, as I really don't want to swap lugs (since I'm still switching these back to the OE wheels wrapped in winters during half the year) and want to ensure enough threads are there to hold tight.
- Even without spacers, brakes and all internals clear without issue.
- I'm running Yokohama Envigor tires, which have proven to be nice and quiet, and are made to provide decent traction while keeping rolling resistance low. So far I really like them. I ordered 225/40R19 89W, which gives the tires a nice fitment on the wheels.

The wheels were about $400 CDN each through gmpartsworld.ca, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere as well. Hope this has will be helpful for others looking to keep their cars looking fresh and modern! I really think the Gen 1 design was cleaner overall, and looked more the part - futuristic, distinct, and kind of timeless due to how important the car was/will be in GMs legacy. Not so in love with how the Gen 2 just looks like a Cruze... but our wheels were always a bit of an element that dated the car, but no more!

Bonus extra note; the new Buick Regal GS also matches the fitment, and I really loved the look of these as well, but I couldn't for the life of me source them online. They use the same +46 offset from what I can tell, but when I called to ask about ordering them through my local dealer instead they told me they would be $775 CDN each. Eeek, noooo thank you.

·
Administrator
20,199 Posts
Thanks for the details, they look really nice on the car (mines the same color). Looks like you have low profile tires? How has this wheel/tire combo affected range?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the details, they look really nice on the car (mines the same color). Looks like you have low profile tires? How has this wheel/tire combo affected range?
I haven't had them long enough but will keep you posted! They are a bit heavier, and the contact patch is 10mm wider, but my hope is that the low rolling resistance helps offset a bit of the increased road friction. Will update you once I have some charge cycles under my belt!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not precisely my style, but they do look good on that car.

Some one of these days I'm gonna actually get a set of Maxxim Maze rims for OHM-RIDE.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
636 Posts
Nice work. The factory 19s on my CTS Perfomance should be a bolt on, too. I'll take a pic in the fall on the Volt when I do the winter swap.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Very nice looking on your car. I have some brand new 18's on the way for mine. I compromised considering the potholes we get. Your photos almost make me wish I had gone 19....... almost. :D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Not a fan of a lot of alloys out there but I do like those.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those Buick's look sweet. I like my factory rims, they look a little different from the usual plain jane oem rims. I have to get new tires, got the car used and they have Kumos on them, loud down the road, but have a good amount of tread so will be a while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great choice and wheels and tires. I'm also curious about the range.

Your tire size has the same diameter as stock so any change in range is do to decreasing roll resistance.

Please post milage per charge and how much improvement over stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great choice and wheels and tires. I'm also curious about the range.

Your tire size has the same diameter as stock so any change in range is do to decreasing roll resistance.

Please post milage per charge and how much improvement over stock.
With little to no give to those band-aid on a wheel tires as well as a lumber truck type ride you should get better mileage due to lower rolling resistance, not my choice. I went the other way, I put 225-60-16 on mine, Not much drop in mileage and the comfort and noise difference is fantastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts