GM Volt Forum banner

It's Easy Being Green

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Steverino 
#1 ·
I'm not one to customize my car, but I couldn't resist this bit of personalization. It's subtle speaks to the environmentally friendliness of the car, and happens to be my favorite color. It's a bit of a pain to hand paint using G2 kit without removing the calipers, but I think I did a decent job.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The metal is galvanized. What primer did you use?

Ah. I see G2 is a product line. "The G2™ High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System Set is an epoxy based application, therefore it does not require the use of a primer."

#7 ·
Thanks all for the compliments; I like the fact that it's subtle and that people with an eye for detail might notice. It's probably more noticeable at highway speeds.

Steverino - Correct, the G2 brake caliper paint system does not require a primer. Per the instructions, I sprayed the brakes with the brake cleaner (included with the kit), masked off the rotors and pads, then used the included brush to carefully apply two coats of paint. It took over 3 hours but was a fun little project.

-david

#8 ·
TireRack carries G2 caliper paint
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=41

I read that some people have had bad experience in the past with painted calipers chipping. However, many caliper paints seem to be spray on, whereas G2 is a two-part epoxy and it includes a spray cleaner. Good surface prep makes all the difference when painting. Plus it's brushed on for more control than you'd get with a spray can. For about $12/wheel, it seems very affordable for those who want a color accent, though not as snazzy as the custom Volt caliper covers for $250-$270 or so.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...d-Volt-Caliper-Covers&highlight=caliper+paint

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.