GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took 5 months, but it finally happened to me. I woke up this morning with 10 miles of charge. There were no CELs. I'm sure it was probably user error, I suspect that in my hurry when I got home yesterday, I did not connect the charge cord to the port firmly, thus never making the connection.

If I had a BEV, I wouldn't have been totally screwed as most would still have enough range in them for me to go to/from work, its only 12 miles each way.

I might go to Walgreens on my lunch break to plug into their free charger and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I always wait to hear the honk before I walk away.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've created a "get home" process that involves
  • Set the charge to 12a
  • turn off car
  • open charge port
  • plug in charger
THEN get all my stuff out of the car while listening for the "beep" and look for the charging light.

So far so good. I imagine I'll mess it up at some point.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Many times I have seen people walking down the street carrying a gas can. Much more difficult than what you did.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yup, yet another reason to love the Volt. I did the same thing once and felt grateful, just like you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup, yet another reason to love the Volt. I did the same thing once and felt grateful, just like you.
Grateful hel - annoyed is how I feel if I forget to connect the car - at myself. I do have one thing I've done as a reminder that is worth mentioning - I've set a reminder to have a text sent to my phone if I'm not plugged in by 8:00 pm. Don't remember exactly what application - probably OnStar or the Chevrolet ap - but it's nice to be able to have that final reminder before heading off to bed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grateful hel - annoyed is how I feel if I forget to connect the car - at myself. I do have one thing I've done as a reminder that is worth mentioning - I've set a reminder to have a text sent to my phone if I'm not plugged in by 8:00 pm. Don't remember exactly what application - probably OnStar or the Chevrolet ap - but it's nice to be able to have that final reminder before heading off to bed.
Yes, I feel annoyed. I have OnStar set to txt me if I forget to plug in the car, however it did not txt me.

On a plus side, I can say there is nothing wrong with the car's equipment. I took my sad desk salad to Walgreens with me on my lunch break and got some charge for free while I ate.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Neil Cavuto (Fox News business talking head-case) claimed this would happen constantly and cause a divorce. Then he called the Volt "stupid".

So 1) are you constantly doing this?, 2) Are you getting divorced as a result? 3) Is the Volt stupid? :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neil Cavuto (Fox News business talking head-case) claimed this would happen constantly and cause a divorce. Then he called the Volt "stupid".

So 1) are you constantly doing this?, 2) Are you getting divorced as a result? 3) Is the Volt stupid?
No divorce, my volt isn't stupid. Apparently my GE Durastation is though... It's the problem. I'm currently charging on the slow plug :rage:

I'm currently shopping for a new EVSE, that I can have here and installed before my parents arrive this weekend.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
No divorce, my volt isn't stupid. Apparently my GE Durastation is though... It's the problem. I'm currently charging on the slow plug :rage:

I'm currently shopping for a new EVSE, that I can have here and installed before my parents arrive this weekend.
CLIPPER CREEK...:)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Walgreens chargers are free? Out here in California they charge about $1 an hour.
Plug Share indicates $2/hr at my nearby Walgreens, although I've never used a pay-to-charge unit in my Fiat 500e. In the 14 months I've had the BEV I've never had the NEED to charge outside my garage. Yes, I've done possibly a dozen opportunity free charges at the doctors office, but I feel like I actually payed for the charge through my insurance premium! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walgreens chargers are free? Out here in California they charge about $1 an hour.
The PlugShare app claims that the one by my work is $2.50 per hour, but its actually free. No access card required, you simply plug in and bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CLIPPER CREEK...:)
I almost bought one, but I couldn't get past the excessive cost for features that I do not care about or need. I entertained the idea of leasing a plugless system, but again, I could not justify the cost. I will probably just buy a turbo cord since the EVSE that came with my car cannot be modified.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I almost bought one, but I couldn't get past the excessive cost for features that I do not care about or need. I entertained the idea of leasing a plugless system, but again, I could not justify the cost. I will probably just buy a turbo cord since the EVSE that came with my car cannot be modified.
On clipper creek??
For years they only offered plain-jane models.
Only recently do they offer 'features' as an option
You must be looking at only 'featured' or 'new' models - there are plenty of basic models to choose from.

e.g. http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-20-level-2/

·
Registered
270 Posts
To be honest though...if you had a pure EV, you'd probably have at least double the range, so you wouldn't be on empty the next morning...

·
Registered
21 Posts
No charging stations at my Walgreens.
If it's any consolation, you aren't missing out much opportunity. I often see non-EV vehicles parking in these spaces. I assume it's because they are in the most convenient locations (who wants to walk a few more yards to get to the entrance?).

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's never happened to me, as I have no ability to charge at home. I live off charging at work and at free public chargers.

Lifetime MPG at 10k - 68. And thats actual factual MPG as my elecricity from these sources is 95% free. Still feels good and still have 50% oil life remaining...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts