GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the other thread on not being able to charge, but this is a real head scratcher for me. I have a Siemens L2 charge station at home and about a month ago I started having intermittent issues with the ELR charging on it. The unit was not in any fault status and was ready to charge, but I got the "Unable to charge" message in the IP when I opened the door. Fast forward to this past week and the only way I can charge is with the L1 charger. I took it to the local dealer and they, today, replaced the charge port on the car. I came home, same issue.

I would start digging into my L2 charge station, except I have had absolutely no issues charging my 2014 Volt on it. Not one. I'd bet both cars have identical on board chargers, so now what? OnStar diagnostics?

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's the onboard charger unit. Mine was replaced earlier this year. Same exact scenario, charges OK on L1 faults out on L2. Should be warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
When the dealer replaced your charge port did they check to see if it charged on their 240v charger? Did they try and confirm the charging problem before replacing the charging port? It could of course be the charger but it's still possible there is some issue specific to the EVSE and the ELR. The Volt has had some charger failures related to water freezing and you're in the right part of the country for this. Haven't seen any similar issues with the ELR but we don't have that man members who own an ELR so that doesn't mean a lot.

EDIT: Seems like we have at least one other problem. Thanks caronjeff.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
I had this happen on my Volt and it turned out the main battery had a failing junction relay (basically a special fuse). The battery was dropped, fuse replaced, battery re-installed, all good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take both points made back to the dealership tomorrow. Unfortunately, they do not have a 240V charge station.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I'll take both points made back to the dealership tomorrow. Unfortunately, they do not have a 240V charge station.
You also might double check that there isn't any debris in the L2 charging plug.I had an incident where a moth flew towards the light emitted from the charging plug and got squashed into my charging port as I was plugging it in. Some compressed air and a few pokes from a small screwdriver fixed that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, back to the dealership this afternoon. I was wrong, they do have a 240V L2 station and showed me they have no issues when they plug the ELR into it (Bosch unit). They are going to inquire with GM tech services about my Siemens charge station. What I can't make sense of is why my Volt has no issues charging on this unit, but the ELR now won't at all.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
FYI, my 240v EVSE is a Siemens as well and my 240v issue was not related to it. The fault occurred with any 240v EVSE I plugged in. Do you have a public EVSE nearby? Might pay to test your car there.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
So, back to the dealership this afternoon. I was wrong, they do have a 240V L2 station and showed me they have no issues when they plug the ELR into it (Bosch unit). They are going to inquire with GM tech services about my Siemens charge station. What I can't make sense of is why my Volt has no issues charging on this unit, but the ELR now won't at all.
You're more than welcome to charge your ELR in my garage, in the interest of science. I promise to give it back...maybe...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Is the dealership's a full 240v unit or is it 208v? Might that make a difference in whether a fault shows or not?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
One question would be whether they duplicated the problem charging before replacing the port. That would make the matter even more perplexing.

Interesting idea from hellsop about the difference in voltage. Nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts