GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Action required, engine overheating, reduce speed" Has anyone seen/heard about this type of issue? It occurred when Volt was in "hold" mode and car was using gas engine. Now check engine light is on and oil life shows 0%. Heading to service department tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If that were my car I would press the OnStar button and ask them for DTCs and accompanying instructions. I would not use the engine on the way to the service department. If I could not make it without using the engine, I would have it towed and ask OnStar to make those arrangements.

KNS

·
Registered
203 Posts
If that were my car I would press the OnStar button and ask them for DTCs and accompanying instructions. I would not use the engine on the way to the service department. If I could not make it without using the engine, I would have it towed and ask OnStar to make those arrangements.

KNS
Good call on suggestion to tow if the drive to dealer can't be made via battery power...

Sorry there was an issue, I don't think there has been a rash of these, but I haven't been watching the Gen2 forum too closely of recent :) Stuff breaks, that's why we have repair shops! Just make sure they take care of you and test it out (with hold mode again) when you get it back to verify it's working.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You have our sympathies. One day? That completely sucks. Wonder if something got damaged in shipping. Yes stuff breaks but not straight out of the chute? GM's QC is ordinarily way better than this.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

KNS
This ^^ Call road service or Onstar for a tow.
Stop taking pictures at 61 MPH.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's possible it's something simple such as a bad sensor.
It's also possible the oil or coolant leaked out at some point. Either way, the dealer should be able to diagnose and fix it.
Keep us informed!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
This ^^ Call road service or Onstar for a tow.
+2 OnStar will read your codes and tell you if it's safe to drive. If not they will arrange a tow. Push the Blue button.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses! I called onstar and was advised that it would be OK to drive to the dealership in normal mode. Car is in service now, will post when I hear more.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I would have opened the hood and looked at the engine coolant level, checked the oil dipstick. If these were OK, I'd assume a faulty sensor, called OnStar for the error codes.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Calling OnStar and and asking if the car was safe to drive was a great idea and a great course of action. I'm also going with those suggesting it's a sensor. Those tend to fail immediately or a long time later. Let us know what your dealer says.

ummm, Doesn't that red icon mean "A Serious Fault -- Stop Driving Now, YO"....
I think OnStar would have more specific information about what's happening. The manual is by necessity more general.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts