GM Volt Forum banner

Issues accessing your EV miles and other data? Through which channels?

• Issues with one or more of the official GM Channels (myvolt.com, onstar.com, mychevrolet.com, or cel

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Issues with accessing data through Voltstats.net

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Issues both with one or more GM channels and Voltstats.net

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No issues accessing EV miles and other data.

Votes: 5 22.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the previous poll, this was an attempt to narrow down which vehicles were having issues. This poll is to separate out issues with official GM channels (myvolt.com, onstar.com, mychevrolet.com, and cell phone apps) and Voltstats.net.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I never lost mine on remotelink on the Iphone in over 5 years

there have been some short network outages over the years

and a week or two when it looked like the network being hacked

·
Registered
162 Posts
It looks like I have all of my data/stats back on the myvolt site, including during the outage period. Woooo!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Voltstats lost everything between 10/19 and 12/15, has data after 12/15. Mychevrolet has the data but it still can't do math, says i used 287KWh/100 miles in the last 30 days, the actual figure is 26.68KWh/100 miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It looks like I have all of my data/stats back on the myvolt site, including during the outage period. Woooo!
Yes, it's really excellent to see GM addressing this matter. For my part, nothing is fixed yet, but I am glad to see so much of it clearing up for many others.

I can only speculate as to what is going on with mine. Perhaps it is a problem specific to my vehicle (though there has been an indication from the previous owner that least some of this worked ok). Perhaps it is a matter that has more to do with Gen1 vehicles (even if the percentages going through such issues are not the same as the percentages of the Gen2 vehicles that were cut out), or perhaps it is about which cell phone signals work well in this area, or perhaps something else. I just don't know.

GM apparently has two separate tickets open for me and has contacted me a couple of times over the last few days. I'm very ok with this (good to see the effort), but try to balance the experience by letting them know I am concerned not to let them put me through plain-jane basic trouble-shooting, given we've already done that, and given how long this has taken and the indications that it's "not just me" and that I see the issue on the web and not just my phone.

Would someone else like to set up a poll to ask, of those who were experiencing issues, who has seen restored data and to what extent?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I downloaded the data excel file yesterday, and it's only broken down by Month.

In the past, prior to the outage, it was broken down by trip...I wanted to use the info to determine exactly how much electricity was used per "tank"...not really possible right now with it only going as far as the month.

·
Registered
652 Posts
EV miles and basic stats have been operating without disruption on our 2012, including Voltstats.

Advanced info like kw/100KM and the such (see photo below) on the official GM MyVolt site have NEVER worked. Ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It appears that all 2015 to present vintage Volt's lost their updates on October 29th. A week ago quite a few reported that their cars were back to normal, as was ours. GM hasn't revealed what the problem was, but as a software engineer I can surmise that the software on the GM server that communicates with the Volts over the cellular network received an update that broke the communications to all 2015 and later Volts. Some data was still coming through, like tire pressure, but EV miles was a real problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EV miles and basic stats have been operating without disruption on our 2012, including Voltstats.

Advanced info like kw/100KM and the such (see photo below) on the official GM MyVolt site have NEVER worked. Ever.

Hi private pilot:

thanks for this post. A question - on the screenshot you provided, EV miles (kilometers in this case) does not present. Are you saying you have been able to get EV miles on other systems without any issue?

·
Registered
175 Posts

I don't know why there is such an inconsistency with the OnStar data. I had a 2014 that I could pull the efficiency, charging and mileage data with no problem. I have upgraded to a 2018 this month and it does not work with the new car. It continuously says unable to update. GM needs to get their backend in order.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't know why there is such an inconsistency with the OnStar data. I had a 2014 that I could pull the efficiency, charging and mileage data with no problem. I have upgraded to a 2018 this month and it does not work with the new car. It continuously says unable to update. GM needs to get their backend in order.
I agree, it's just a head-scratcher why GM would make such a wonderful vehicle, ... one that rises to the level of being genuinely historic, ground-breaking, "car of the year", etc.... and then not just address this minor-seeming issue across all vehicles, and get it done. I guess my point of view is skewed since I've only had the vehicle two months and for at least part of that time it coincides with a major outage (that has apparently been fixed for at least some vehicles in recent weeks?). Customer support at OnStar has maintained a good attitude, and I think many drivers have seen the matter cleared up recently (maybe should set up a fresh poll to try to capture this), but for others the issues persist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts