GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new 2018 Volt in November. I'm loving the car exception it has been a month and I have an issue charging it. I plug in my 110 plug into my outlet and the green light turns on. After a couple of minutes, the green light turns into a solid red (meaning not grounded). Could this be a bad plug? I had no issues charging it the past month from the same outlet. Any thoughts as to what seems to be the problem? It can't be that the circuit is overloaded because the outlet isn't being used by anything else.

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts
Sounds like the outlet is no longer grounded. Check it with a $6 circuit tester.

120V circuit tester (1).jpg

The 2011-2012 "charger" is mounted behind the passenger side bumper. For 2016+ it's in the rear of the car. What you are referring to is the charge cord or EVSE, it's not the charger.

Charger-vs.-EVSE.jpg Charger-vs.-EVSE 2.jpg Charger 2016+.jpg

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts
Actually, I think they moved the charger in a Gen2 to the rear cargo area.

VIN # B0985
Thanks for the clarification, AZ EV Driver. Yes, for Gen 2, the carger is in the rear, passenger side. I'll need to get a picture of that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Alternative simple diagnostic solution #2 is....try another receptacle, preferably on a different circuit. If it does it on a completely different receptacle still then it may be the EVSE itself. If not, then yes, it's almost certainly the receptacle has a fault somewhere.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is it an outdoor outlet or garage GFCI? Moisture can cause GFCI trips, if the wires or outlet gets wet. The EVSE would respond similar. Have you had more snow or rain recently?

·
Registered
141 Posts
And of course, your car is brand new. After you eliminate your house wiring, take it to your dealer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts