GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a significant lump on the back side of my heated steering wheel at 3:00. I'm just curious if it has anything to do with the heating functionality, or it's just a defect. I don't have a better way to explain it than to say at 9:00 it's smooth, but at 3:00 there's a big lump on the back.

Does anyone with the heated "leather" steering wheel on a 2018 have something similar? If not, and this is something wrong with mine, am I better served going through sales or service on this week-old car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey I've got that lump! Same place. Sounds, I mean feels, much like you describe.
2018 LT with the option for leather heated wheel & seats. Picked it up last month.
After a month of driving I seem to have squished it down some.
Something to do with a heating element seems as good a guess as any.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have an unusual bulge behind the wheel at 2 o'clock right where the stitching from two pieces of leather comes together. I've had several heated leather steering wheels before and have never had this problem. I chock it up to poor quality workmanship. This may be great EV, but it's still in the body of a cheap Chevy. If continual sliding of the wheel through my hands causes that to eventually tear, I'll take it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This thread made me curious, so I also checked my steering wheel at 2 o'clock--regrettably, it was smooth as silk.

I say "regrettably" because this confirmed my observation from test driving a number of Gen 2 Volts before purchase--there is wide disparity regarding the crafstmanship. I had one Volt where the steering wheel felt "loose" because the cover was just flimsily woven to the steering wheel itself--a reflection of not enough QC.

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
The heated steering wheel in my Bolt has a small lump behind the right side spoke by the radio up/down toggles, which is the 3 o'clock position. I never noticed it in months of driving, I had to go feel up my wheel to find it. Easy to miss, I don't consider it an issue.

I had to increase brightness and contrast in the picture below to make it look larger than it is.

Bolt heated steering wheel bump.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
The heated steering wheel in my Bolt has a small lump behind the right side spoke by the radio up/down toggles, which is the 3 o'clock position. I never noticed it in months of driving, I had to go feel up my wheel to find it. Easy to miss, I don't consider it an issue.

I had to increase brightness and contrast in the picture below to make it look larger than it is.

View attachment 143465
Maybe it wasn't there before, but after you felt it up you aroused it... check back in the morning.

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
Maybe it wasn't there before, but after you felt it up you aroused it... check back in the morning.

Maybe that's why I have never noticed it before? You have to hit the right spot.... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to follow up, the dealer looked at a couple of other similar models and found the bulge in the same place. They believe it's wiring for the wheel controls and/or the heater.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Just to follow up, the dealer looked at a couple of other similar models and found the bulge in the same place. They believe it's wiring for the wheel controls and/or the heater.
Did you look at it with him, or did you just trust him?

If true, it's an even sadder testament to the lack of build quality on the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Did you look at it with him, or did you just trust him?

If true, it's an even sadder testament to the lack of build quality on the car.
Oh, I am way past my threshold of tolerance for dealer visits on this car (5 to this dealer before I purchased plus 2 other visits to a competing dealer), so I did trust them...to a degree. They sent me a picture. The one with the red circle is mine, and the other is from the dealer.

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts