GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently a transmission bearing in my 2012 Chevy Volt. The dealership said I am out of warrantry, so I paid out of pocket. Now I have my doubts, as I read in some places that "transmission" is considered part of voltec... Can someone clarify if "transmission m2 bearing" is covered by 8yrs/160k kms voltec warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm pretty certain that it is covered. There has been an amount of discussion about it here.
An advanced search should get all the details including codes and part numbers; good luck, watching with great interest.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I recently a transmission bearing in my 2012 Chevy Volt. The dealership said I am out of warrantry, so I paid out of pocket. Now I have my doubts, as I read in some places that "transmission" is considered part of voltec... Can someone clarify if "transmission m2 bearing" is covered by 8yrs/160k kms voltec warranty.
It depends if the car is listed as a PZEV vehicle. If you let me have the last 8 of your VIN I can check with a friend of mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VIN ends with CU121300. Thanks. My dealership insists that that bearing is not part of "electric drive unit" and thus is not covered by voltec warranty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes it is covered if within warranty period of 8 years and 100k miles. I had the same issue as you on my 2012 and paid upfront because the dealer swore it was not covered under the Voltec warranty. After paying for the repair I contacted GM customer service and told them where it shows as being covered in the manual and wanted to know why I had to pay for the repair. Once customer service was involved it took 11 days before I was informed that it should have been covered at $0 cost to me. Once the dealer was reimbursed by GM I received my reimbursement from the dealer which took approximately 4 weeks.
On another note, my 2012 is currently at a different dealer and is having a section of the main battery replaced (under the Voltec warranty) due to the "Battery too cold plug in to warm" message.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Yes it is covered if within warranty period of 8 years and 100k miles. I had the same issue as you on my 2012 and paid upfront because the dealer swore it was not covered under the Voltec warranty. After paying for the repair I contacted GM customer service and told them where it shows as being covered in the manual...
I did a search for a thread/post you had on this which showed/talked specifically about the place in the manual and what you showed GM customer service the part about 'transmission bearing'. I didn't find one.

P.S. Sorry to hear about part of your battery being replaced. I had to have mine as well since I was prematurely getting the reduced propulsion message.

https://www.chevynorthcountry.com/parts-and-service/warranty-information/volthybrid-warranty/

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Why would PZEV status matter? That doesn't make sense because the bearing is used on all gen 1 volts.
The writer I know checked the warranty status by using the part number of the bearing itself, and he told me he needed the VIN to check the status.

·
Registered
376 Posts
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?325991-That-Circular-Saw-sound/page2

The thread is "that circular saw sound.." Page 2 shows which page of the warranty manual that includes covered Voltec components (page 16 of the warranty manual).

Regarding the section of battery being replaced. I've been getting the "Battery too cold plug in to warm" message for about a year now and the CEL finally came on last week which allowed the dealer to properly diagnose the issue. I'm not crazy about being without my car for a couple of weeks but am glad to finally get it fixed. I think I've had all, or at least most, of the major problems repaired under warranty and numerous software updates at my expense. Hopefully I can avoid the service center for a while.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?325991-That-Circular-Saw-sound/page2

The thread is "that circular saw sound.." Page 2 shows which page of the warranty manual that includes covered Voltec components (page 16 of the warranty manual).

Regarding the section of battery being replaced. I've been getting the "Battery too cold plug in to warm" message for about a year now and the CEL finally came on last week which allowed the dealer to properly diagnose the issue. I'm not crazy about being without my car for a couple of weeks but am glad to finally get it fixed. I think I've had all, or at least most, of the major problems repaired under warranty and numerous software updates at my expense. Hopefully I can avoid the service center for a while.
Thanks for the follow up. Internal components is the key. I saw the manual pages referenced and it matched the text from my above screenshots of that website in the 'Electric Hybrid/Drive Unit' section.

Goodness, I hope you can avoid the dealer service center as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts