GM Volt Forum banner

Is this part of the TMS function?

2769 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mbeebe
I took this shot the other day, and it was quite hot outside (102F).

Electronics Technology Electronic device Auto part Car

As you can see, the AC system is 'Off', the Fan is in 'Fan Only Mode'... but, there was plenty of cold air coming from the vents! I decided to go ahead and close the windows and enjoy the cool air. Eventually, the cabin temp had come down enough to go back to fan only (ambient air coming from the vents), and I opened the windows again. The cool air started again a few minutes later.

Is this part of the TMS functioning to keep the battery cool? :confused:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Why oh why does anyone allow themselves to suffer in 102 heat and not run the A/C? It's like buying a V8 and only using 5 cylinders. Just use the car the way you would use any other car. SMH
What Dairine said... I can live with giving up 4 miles of range to keep the cabin comfortable. If that results in burning a few tenths of a gallon of gas, OH WELL. I refuse to play statistics games at the expense of comfort!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why oh why does anyone allow themselves to suffer in 102 heat and not run the A/C? It's like buying a V8 and only using 5 cylinders. Just use the car the way you would use any other car. SMH
Well... to be honest... I work in a hot factory all day, and even though the car showed 102F, having the windows down and enjoying some fresh air actually felt damn nice! So, I was 'using' my car *exactly* like I would any other car!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What Dairine said... I can live with giving up 4 miles of range to keep the cabin comfortable. If that results in burning a few tenths of a gallon of gas, OH WELL. I refuse to play statistics games at the expense of comfort!
Nope... not a matter of statistics, Ron. ONLY a matter of comfort. The A/C just wasn't wanted or needed. I certainly use the A/C whenever I want, just not at the moment when I took the picture. (I really don't give a rip about the stats)

· Registered
662 Posts
I can respect that. I've done the same once or twice. Sometimes I just hate the feeling of A/C on me all the time.

I've just heard a few posters on here who sacrifice comfort at the expense of their stats which prompted my comment. :)

· Registered
377 Posts
Perhaps some people aren't suffering in their car with AC turned off. For example, I run a couple times a week during our Dallas summer. To accumulate myself to the heat, I will drive to my favorite trail with AC off and (sometimes) windows rolled up with no air flow. When I get out of the car, our 105f summer temp actually feels cold and I'm good for my run.

· Registered
121 Posts
I've just heard a few posters on here who sacrifice comfort at the expense of their stats which prompted my comment.
That would be me :D

I will happily sacrifice comfort for my stats, that's one of the great joys of the Volt for me.

Though most of my sacrifice involves leaving the heater off in the winter.

I'm happy to use the AC in the summer since the stats penalty is much smaller than the heater.

-Dave

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can respect that. I've done the same once or twice. Sometimes I just hate the feeling of A/C on me all the time.

I've just heard a few posters on here who sacrifice comfort at the expense of their stats which prompted my comment. :)
No worries! :) It was a bit weird to hit 102 here in Detroit. (We are expecting frost this weekend, only 5 days after the picture was taken...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.