GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just changed the engine oil in my 2013 Volt and noticed that this threaded plug looking thing was not fully seated and looking very peculiar. I don't think this is right.

Can someone verify this is the transmission drain plug and that it's supposed to be seated or is this a feature I don't know about.

Thanks!

it looks like the black stuff is thread locking stuff

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It's about impossible to tell by those tiny pictures. Not sure how you attached them, but normally I can click the thumbnail and get a full size pic. That's not happening this time.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I looked under my 2013 and my bolt protrudes identically compared to your pictures. So either this is as designed, or a bunch of them were built wrong, I'd leave it alone and not worry about it (although part of me is worried that the bolt might get sheared off if you run over a concrete barrier at the exact height needed)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trans pipe plug

That is a tapered pipe plug and it is perfectly normal. Now just drive and enjoy your Volt..... :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Driving over a concrete barrier????? I would hope not and if you should do so there is going to be more damage than just to a plug.....jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz really?
I looked under my 2013 and my bolt protrudes identically compared to your pictures. So either this is as designed, or a bunch of them were built wrong, I'd leave it alone and not worry about it (although part of me is worried that the bolt might get sheared off if you run over a concrete barrier at the exact height needed)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
That is the line pressure test port used during transaxle diagnosis. Since it is a tapered pipe thread, it's normal to appear "unseated". If you believe it to be loose or shows any signs of leakage it is to be torqued to 97 lb in.
FYI the actual drain plug is on the bottom of the 4ET50 housing and the fill plug on top, next to the shifter cable entry. A third plug, on the back-side of the transaxle near the LH axle output acts as the full level sight line (fluid should "just" drip from this plug bore, engine idling in Park , trans fluid temperature 104-140 °F (40-60 °C) as observed with a scan tool)
Sometimes I miss dipsticks!

Welcome to gm-volt.com
WopOnTour

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect, thanks for the info.

Yea, it does seem to be one of the lowest pieces under the car. I guess I will hug the left side when rock crawling.. =)

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Perfect, thanks for the info.

Yea, it does seem to be one of the lowest pieces under the car. I guess I will hug the left side when rock crawling.. =)
This nut is on the left side of the car (driver's side) under the main electric motor. Plus if you are rock crawling, maybe you should lift your volt like this horrible attempt at photoshop. I would buy a Volt wagon with AWD and a lift in a heartbeat. Instead, we bought a Subaru XV Crosstrek (which is basically an Impreza wagon with AWD and a lift kit, plus some body cladding) and are patiently waiting for GM to expand their Voltec lineup. A Voltec Impala would also work (not for rock crawling, but for my family's vehicular needs)

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
This nut is on the left side of the car (driver's side) under the main electric motor. Plus if you are rock crawling, maybe you should lift your volt like this horrible attempt at photoshop. I would buy a Volt wagon with AWD and a lift in a heartbeat. Instead, we bought a Subaru XV Crosstrek (which is basically an Impreza wagon with AWD and a lift kit, plus some body cladding) and are patiently waiting for GM to expand their Voltec lineup. A Voltec Impala would also work (not for rock crawling, but for my family's vehicular needs)
Add my vote for a Voltec Impala too. Surely they could repackage the drivetrain to fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts