1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I would say so.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Steering wheel vibration can be caused by several things. Low tire pressure, broken cord in the tire sidewall, irregular tire wear causing out of balance conditions, severally warped brake rotor. If you step on the brake pedal enough to actually use the brakes, do you get wheel shake at the same time?

Also, it would appear you could stand an alignment adjustment. The vehicle should not drift to the right, but should track more straight ahead. For you, drifting to the right could cause an accident with on coming traffic.

Do you always need to hold left hand pressure on the wheel to keep it from tracking to the right?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
First place to look is tires. Rotate the fronts to the back / backs to the front and see what changes.
Actually, you should x-cross the backs to the front and bring the fronts to the back - same side.

When the shimmy/shake occurs, are you driving on a crowned road? If you are, then, after investigating the tires for balance, broken cord, and checking the rotors for warp, you should have the front end aligned as the car is pulling toward the crown of the road - something that normally is in the opposite on really crowned roads (i.e., running toward the kerb.)

EDIT: Have you run into, or over, something that could have bent a tie-rod, or bent the wheel?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Off-topic, but I'm amazed there's a LHT version of a Gen 1 Volt. I thought they'd be all Opel Amperas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Will see what they find!

And yes one of around 150 Chevy Volts sold in the UK. All the rest were Amperas but I wanted the real deal not some rebadge! :) Plus it's nice having a rare car here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And yes one of around 150 Chevy Volts sold in the UK. All the rest were Amperas but I wanted the real deal not some rebadge! :) Plus it's nice having a rare car here.
I can relate to that, as a former owner of 2 Opel GT's and a Manta here in the states.
I'd prob. pop off the bow tie and put on a zot on my new Volt if Opel made a gen2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer has decided they also want to charge me 580 GBP to change out the high voltage coolant. Love driving my Volt. Hate with a passion the crappy Vauxhall dealers.

Another dealer outside London has quoted 220 for the same job. Even taking into account the cost of fuel to drive 140 miles round trip it is still way cheaper for me to travel all that way. grrrrrrrr.

Also the dealer that wants 580 for the coolant said I had to flush my AC system during my last service. From my research Chevy say this is something only done every 10 years?? WTF

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Dealer has decided they also want to charge me 580 GBP to change out the high voltage coolant. Love driving my Volt. Hate with a passion the crappy Vauxhall dealers.

Another dealer outside London has quoted 220 for the same job. Even taking into account the cost of fuel to drive 140 miles round trip it is still way cheaper for me to travel all that way. grrrrrrrr.

Also the dealer that wants 580 for the coolant said I had to flush my AC system during my last service. From my research Chevy say this is something only done every 10 years?? WTF
£220 sounds much more reasonable, for all three systems. (Most people in the US have been paying about US$350.) My manual says to change out the coolant every 5 years. (Tell the first dealer okay, if they'll throw in the new tyres. :D )

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sometimes the assisted parking feature of the Volt will cause the steering wheel to vibrate to tell you of the next steps. It should be considered as a possible cause in case of sensor or switch malfunctions.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sometimes the assisted parking feature of the Volt will cause the steering wheel to vibrate to tell you of the next steps. It should be considered as a possible cause in case of sensor or switch malfunctions.
Pretty sure the Gen 1 volt does not have active steering input parking assist features beyond audible tones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so... confronted the dealer about the 585 GBP charge. It did not go well.

- First they refused to believe the other dealer's quote. I told them to call the other dealer and check for themselves. They refused.

- I then told them that I could hire someone to drive my car the 140 mile round trip to the other dealer, pay for the extra petrol that would involve and it would STILL save me money over doing it with them. No real response to that. They started getting angry at me. I asked to see the manager. No manager showed up.

- They then tried to latch on to the idea that the reason the other dealer's quote was less was because it was for the 'Ampera'. They tried to explain to me that the Ampera is a different car to the Volt and that's why it was less money to perform the service.

- I told them that was a lie and the powertrain for the Ampera and Volt is identical, and that they both came out the same factory in Detroit.

- They replied 'no, they are different brands'. I said 'nope sorry, Vauxhall and Chevy are both owned by GM and the Ampera is simply a rebadged Volt'. At this point the dealer thought he had me and said 'no Vauxhall are owned by PSA actually'. I responded 'yeah, since about 6 months ago, not when the Gen 1 Volts and Amperas were rolling off the line.' At this point it is had become not about them trying to help me but merely trying to score points off me. The PSA ownership comeback was irrelevant to the Volt.

- At this point I also questioned why at my last service in June they had seen it necessary to perform a full flush of my AC system when it clearly states on the Chevy service schedule that this is a maintenance item to by done after 10 year.

- dealer started trying to convince me that AC systems should be flushed EVERY YEAR. I asked him then why doesn't Chevy state that on their service schedule?

- And then the tyres... so they refused to budge on the tyre cost. Quoting me 158GBP per tyre. They said that was the 'trade price' they buy the tyres at and therefore couldn't go any lower. If they were to drop lower than that they would be 'losing money'.

I told them Kwik Fit would sell me the tire fully fitted for 113 per tyre. Why are they buying the same tyre at 'trade' price for 158GBP when they could just walk down the road and pay RETAIL price of 113?

Anyway that was probably the most insulting retail experience I've ever had. I told them that it's a real shame because I love the car but I dread coming to them for service because I always feel like they are trying to rip me off.

To be honest, I'm probably going to get rid of this Volt and look elsewhere. Vauxhall really is the pits. It's a real blot on the ownership experience and they have you over a barrel here since there's only a few dealers in the UK that will service Volts.

It's no wonder GM's Europe division was losing money like crazy before they sold to PSA. The culture in that place was rank.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wouldn't waste any more time with this dealer.

The Volts require minimal maintenance; tire rotation can be done at a local garage, oil change every two years can be done there, too ( I did my own work and it's simple to reset the timer). The air filter needs replacement every 4 years or 45,000 miles (I just did mine myself two months ago) and the spark plugs every 90,000 miles. The coolant in the three systems needs replacement every 150,000 miles (and should only be done by a dealer with his special tools and fluid). The only other item that is to be checked is the evaporative control system that is supposed to be checked every 45,000 miles and I don't know how involved that might be (or whether it is really necessary, since warnings will be tripped when the system malfunctions, such as having a vacuum leak.)

What I am implying is a 70 mile trip to the better dealer would be made very infrequently, if at all.

EDIT: The 2012s were built very well and are holding up. I wouldn't get rid of the Volt based on your experience with a lousy dealer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wow, flush the AC every year. What load of BS. Most systems only get flushed if their was a need to replace a compressor or the system malfunctioned with a clogged expansion valve or orifice tube. The cost to have a service provider do it yearly as a precautionary item would likely add up to way more the having to replace a major component several years down the road if a failure occurred.

A previous car I had was 21 years old with an R12 System 372,000 miles and the A/C never was serviced and worked great till the day I sent it to the scrap yard.

I want to know what is involved with the HV battery coolant change. Is it a unique coolant? Is the a Special service machine used?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I want to know what is involved with the HV battery coolant change. Is it a unique coolant? Is the a Special service machine used?
Slightly fancy coolant (it's listed in your manual), and a somewhat elaborate procedure with a vacuum-powered flush and fill device that helps make sure there are no bubbles in the system. Bubble in the engine cooling is usually not a big deal, but in the battery system, you'll get codes and the car won't charge, which is a big bother. I'm not sure it requires the GDS2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kwik-Fit installed two new front tyres today. Steering wheel wobble is completely gone :)

What's weird is that the tyre technician said one of my front tyres in particular was dangerously worn and could have blown out on the highway. He said it has been on the car since manufacture (mid 2012). I don't understand how my ****ty dealer didn't catch this when they did the MOT back in June this year.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Kwik-Fit installed two new front tyres today. Steering wheel wobble is completely gone :)

What's weird is that the tyre technician said one of my front tyres in particular was dangerously worn and could have blown out on the highway. He said it has been on the car since manufacture (mid 2012). I don't understand how my ****ty dealer didn't catch this when they did the MOT back in June this year.
Good to know. That video was not normal vibration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts