GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the dealers in CA is quoting a 270 per month 2700 down inclusive of all taxes for 12k miles on an LT with leather and comfort package.

Is this a good deal?

Costco card -700$
non GM lease -500$
State refund - 1500$

Any thoughts/recommendations

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not really. In 2016, you can get $200 per month, zero down for LT. But those days are over. The lease deals on VOLT are getting worse and worse.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
To evaluate a lease you need to have more information. Just having the monthly numbers doesn't tell you much because a lease has so many moving parts. The bare minimum would be the purchase price, the lease cash (which for the Volt is the part of the tax credit), the residual (based on miles), and the the money factor or interest.

Overall your numbers seem fair but it's difficult to assess.

Also note that the manufacturers have bonus programs that make pricing wonky. Sometimes a given dealer has an incentive to sell a car at below cost. However, that's like winning instant cash in a lottery. Hard to count on it.

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
it’s a trap!!!!

Go for the 100% down, $0 per month, unlimited term, unlimited mileage deal. If you can’t afford that, then you shouldn’t be looking at new cars. Now if you are a multimillionaire.... then do whatever you damn well please... it’s a tiny portion of your wealth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a terrible number in my books, I leased mine roughly 9 months ago and I am paying $167 a month 10/36. Altthough I think I will need to give up the lease soon because I'm already at 13k miles...

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
That is a terrible number in my books, I leased mine roughly 9 months ago and I am paying $167 a month 10/36. Altthough I think I will need to give up the lease soon because I'm already at 13k miles...
Sounds like what you thought was a deal won’t work out for you if you end up paying mileage overage fees, or paying the lease and parking it. Of course the reason why the dealerships are pushing leasing so hard is because they make a fortune from them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sounds like what you thought was a deal won’t work out for you if you end up paying mileage overage fees, or paying the lease and parking it. Of course the reason why the dealerships are pushing leasing so hard is because they make a fortune from them.
yup,listen closely and you'll hear "ultra low mileage lease" not many people drive less than 10k miles a year.but the ads suck people in.

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
yup,listen closely and you'll hear "ultra low mileage lease" not many people drive less than 10k miles a year.but the ads suck people in.
My wife probably drives about 200 miles a year, but I more than make up for it at over 20K per year. Leasing makes no sense for us as I'll blow through the mileage and the value of her cars stays pretty high because of the low mileage (we get to keep her cars almost forever). It's getting close to replace her car - someone needs to come up with a mid priced electric CUV/SUV in the next year or three or else we'll be buying an ICEr Subaru Outback.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You can't "give up" a lease. You're on the hook for all 36 months or whatever term you initially signed up for. If you drive 20K miles a year leasing is invariably a bad idea. Additionally, a a monthly number is simply not correlated with whether the deal is reasonable or not. It's one factor of several.

The dealer makes EXACTLY the same amount whether its a lease or a sale. In fact the lease is a sale -- to the lessor.

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
The dealer makes EXACTLY the same amount whether its a lease or a sale. In fact the lease is a sale -- to the lessor.
You’re right. The manufacturer’s financing arm makes the money off the lease. If the dealer decides to use a different financial institution for the deal, then that company makes the money. But think about it, if there was no profit in leasing, they would go out of business doing it. Same thing can be said about extended warranties. If leases weren’t available at that “low” monthly rate, many people wouldn’t be so apt to get new cars every 3 years. But every time I do the math, it never works out, especially in 3 years when you might feel compelled to upgrade to something more expensive. I love not having a car payment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts