GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Those look like reasonable deals to me considering its from a stealership. If they're willing to haggle some you could probably knock them down a little more and get a better deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I were in the market for a ~15K car, I would consider it a pretty good deal. I say this mainly because I have had very good experience with the 2011 I bought a few months ago (even though I replaced the traction battery with a used one and I'm just now replacing the window regulator on the driver's side. My battery had 166k miles when I bought it (and the symptoms of battery failure may have started around 150k)...

The mileage on these two seems *very* reasonable and with the 100k/10year battery (drive-train?) warranty, It seems like you can easily expect 100k-200k of good use before a battery failure.

In other EV models, I would consider their early life in the heat of Phoenix a negative thing but the heat management in the Volt batteries seems so thorough/effective that it should not be a consideration.

I agree with Freshcut's thought that they have some significant room in their price if they *really* are on their way to auction, but I'm not that up on how retail/wholesale operates these days. I'm guessing at least an additional $1k beyond the "discount" they are offering for financing through them. If they are *really* headed out to auction, I'm betting a very flat/firm offer 2K under list will fly and you still have the added benefit of this dealer being where you will go to for service/warranty/problems. Of course, the dealer's reputation matters on that last point... I just checked the Yelp reviews and the majority of negatives were about *sales*, but I don't know how to calibrate to Yelp reviews. A lot of the reviews there (on everything) sound more like "pissy people" than real problems... but I'm not surein this case.

The listed estimate of 35/40 mpg doesn't reflect the possibility of operating it almost entirely as an EV like many here do, so many non-Volt enthusiasts will miss the unique opportunity implied. I'm guessing the dealership pushes new(er) Volts first and many Volt buyers probably want a new one on principle... but an enthusiast (like you?) could probably get huge value out of one of these.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
These are nice cars for the price, but they have ZERO options. I would hold out for one that at least has the backup camera--that's a must have for me. And the parking sensors are a gotta have for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
These are 2015's, so a backup camera is standard and required.

I paid an even 15K in NJ earlier this year, after haggling for my Ashen Gray fully loaded 2015 Volt with 30K miles. So, I think those prices are very good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can get a similar year BMW i3 for that price. In my eyes I'd be thinking 10-12K max personally. The Market for Volt's isn't big. They won't have a lot of interested buyers. Negotiate them down

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Just on the CBC news the other night. There are virtually no Volts available for sale in BC at most Volt Chevy dealers (I suppose there are used ones). I guess all the 2018 are sold out and they are waiting for the 2019's (just like Tesla although I've yet to see a Tesla on the road or at a charging station , super or otherwise, except for car shows). Come on Chevy, people are waiting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been watching inventory around her for a while. I couldn't find anything I liked. So we ended up going with a new 18 LT with leather, BOSE, and the safety stuff. But I still watch inventory around here. If I was looking, I might consider one of these two. There were none in that price range that new with that low of miles when I was looking. Stuff in that price range was usually a 2014 with 58k miles.

I guess I am just surprised they are still there. They look good compared to all the others around here. They did sell two of the four they got. This dealership sells 600 used cars a month. They do not negotiate. The price is the price. I had a buddy buy a Suburban and his brother bought a Yukon at the same time. Both were rental returns. They would only give them $500 off if they bought both cars.

I was considering a Leaf. I was watching their inventory for the right car and they would sell as soon as they got them in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
good intel on the "no negotiation price"... they *imply* that in their ads ("no haggle pricing" or somesuch) but the "$1000 discount if you borrow from us" suggests they do have $1000 wiggle room... financing the car can't be worth $1k to them unless they have stupid-high interest and early-payoff penalties?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, they must have been priced right, since they're no longer on the dealer site. I paid 15.9K for mine through CarMax. It's a 2015 that had 19,000 miles on it. No backup cam on that one as it did not have the safety package. Came with Nav and Bose and the Alcantera seats, which I like.
I installed the backup cam a couple days ago, and I'll say it was not worth the effort that it took to install. It would have been so much easier to just spend a little more and get a car with the camera and Lane Departure warning....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts