GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a level 2 charging station that fits the following characteristics?
  1. Is portable
  2. Is able to connect to both 120 and 240v (and 60Hz for America) (I am open to using a converter, like with the EVSE Upgrade one, below.)
  3. Has a light up end on the plug (I have looked desperately for something like this. Is this so hard to do??? It would seem so simple!)
  4. is less than $1500
  5. Can charge the car at or very near it's maximum recommended KW rate (I think I've heard 13?)
  6. Is water resistant (Will be outside and exposed to the elements. I believe NEMA 4 is going to be best suited for this location.)
  7. Has at least a 20ft cable

I am open to custom built ones like the ones on EVSE Upgrade (This looks the most appealing):
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=5

I am totally open to suggestions if anyone has experience with a particular model (good or bad) please let me know what features above that I may think are nice to have but are really pointless or not necessary or that you have found that you are not using.

I've owned my Volt for 2 weeks now and I am THRILLED!! Loving it!

·
Registered
508 Posts
SPX has a portable 240 V EVSE. I don't know if it can also do 120 V. Plug in America has a comprehensive list of ESVEs that would be worth reading.

Your EVSE Upgrade link may be the best option.

GSP

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
As of now the only unit that's capable of dual 120 / 240 volt operation is a modified Panasonic from EVSEupgrade. I just discovered the new skinnier version of the Panasonic, looks to be even better than the original one. I guess we can call them the "brick" and the "stick". The brick was capable of 16A @ 240V, and the stick is capable of 20A @ 240V

The only notable omission is the light up plug. FYI: The Volt's maximum charge rate is 3.3 KW (which is roughly 13 amps)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The EVSEupgrade modified Nissan Leaf (Panasonic) level 1 charger is about the only charger that meets your request (as stated above) another option (and what I did) is purchase a Clipper Creek LCS-25 and install the NEMA plug of your choice, this unit is about the same size as the stock Volt level-1 charger, Clipper Creek is the supplier of the OEM charger for the 2013 Volt.
This option is inexpensive and although its two chargers it may actually make things easier since you can leave the 240v unit at home unless you know you'll have access to a 240v power supply which is usually limited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of a solution where I can just put the stock Level 1 back in the car storage and then use the Panasonic or whatever whenever I had access to 240v. I'm curious though, does the Panasonic technically qualify for the US tax rebate on L2 chargers given that it is a modified L1 charger?

On a seperate note, are there any chargers that have a light up J1772 plug? If not, how hard do you all think it would be to put one on after market?

·
4,871 Posts
Some posts on here lead me to believe that the Level 1 EVSE that the 2013 Volt comes with is capable of accepting 240V. You'd just need an adapter to go from the 120V prongs to 240V prongs. However, it's certainly not UL listed/approved for such use.

Someone had discovered this accidentally when a new 120V outlet was erroneously providing 240V, and the car was charging at 240V successfully using the level 1 EVSE.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I was thinking of a solution where I can just put the stock Level 1 back in the car storage and then use the Panasonic or whatever whenever I had access to 240v. I'm curious though, does the Panasonic technically qualify for the US tax rebate on L2 chargers given that it is a modified L1 charger?

On a seperate note, are there any chargers that have a light up J1772 plug? If not, how hard do you all think it would be to put one on after market?
The only light-up plugs are the Voltec EVSE's. You'd need to gut one, replace the innards with OpenEVSE (120/240V capable) and a new outlet cord/plug.

·
Registered
970 Posts
clodhppers, try this post for all your options http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17900-Portable-220-charger&p=203654#post203654

If you want a dual voltage (120/240) unit then your choices are the EVSE Upgrade or SPX Power Xpress. Both can charge on 120 or 240. The EVSE Upgrade is a little more expensive, but both are well under your $1500 threshold. The EVSE Upgrade is easier to transport because it is much lighter than the Power Xpress (14lbs for the P.X. vs just a few lbs for the E.U.). Both units can charge to the Volt's max rate, but the Power Xpress is capable of charging up to 32A so it will support the EVs of tomorrow as well. Neither of these have a 20' cord or light on the J1772.

Portable L2 EVSEs technically aren't allowed due to NEC, so your options are limited. You might want to check out http://tucsonev.com/. They have some interesting items including a 10' J1772 extension cord.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some posts on here lead me to believe that the Level 1 EVSE that the 2013 Volt comes with is capable of accepting 240V. You'd just need an adapter to go from the 120V prongs to 240V prongs. However, it's certainly not UL listed/approved for such use.

Someone had discovered this accidentally when a new 120V outlet was erroneously providing 240V, and the car was charging at 240V successfully using the level 1 EVSE.

Any confirmation of this would be wonderful... Also, what would be the worst that happens if not, damage the EVSE?

I have an outlet that I can move to my garage to provide this when needed, but hate to damage something and possibly not be able to get a replacement..

-JP (1st post!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I'm coming back a little late but... Does anyone know of one that lights up *at the plug*? It seems like it would be something so obvious and simple. My car is outside and it's difficult to see when I'm plugging it in at night (pretty much every day).

I'm totally open to ideas like running a separate line down the cord to power a LED or somehow figuring out how to tie into the 12 V +/- that is on the two small prongs inside the plug. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

I'd actually prefer to be able to somehow modify the plug/adapter because then I can get most any charger I want and just put a light on the end of it. BUt I'm also open to the idea of one that is already lit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts