GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Gary Witzenburg on autobloggreen:

"When General Motors launched its pioneering two-seat EV1 in 1997, its batteries were "advanced" lead acid (PbA). That means they were big, heavy, had low energy density and a limited life. But it was the best available chemistry at the time. That first EV1's T-shaped pack of 27 PbA modules weighed nearly 1200 pounds and stored the energy equivalent of a half-gallon of gas..." Read more here:

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/12/10/affordable-lead-acid-electric-vehicle-advanced-batteries/#continued

Personally, I'm dubious (and, ignorant, actually ;o). Do Subhash Dhar's ideas stand a chance?

--RCB

·
Registered
761 Posts
By Gary Witzenburg on autobloggreen:

"When General Motors launched its pioneering two-seat EV1 in 1997, its batteries were "advanced" lead acid (PbA). That means they were big, heavy, had low energy density and a limited life. But it was the best available chemistry at the time. That first EV1's T-shaped pack of 27 PbA modules weighed nearly 1200 pounds and stored the energy equivalent of a half-gallon of gas..." Read more here:

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/12/10/affordable-lead-acid-electric-vehicle-advanced-batteries/#continued

Personally, I'm dubious (and, ignorant, actually ;o). Do Subhash Dhar's ideas stand a chance?

--RCB
Well, proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
If lead acid is advanced to a better tech than lithium ion or other tech, as in: cheaper, more durable (higher number of 100% DOD cycles than the best tech today at minimum, I.e. around 7500 cycles), higher energy density, more thermally tolerant, and more recyclable... I think everybody will be all over it.

If.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The solar guys off grid talk this all the time. Lead acid batteries don't live well below 50% SOC but do have high recharge cycles. They require quite a bit of maintenance watering and check in Specific Gravity. Most of them with well maintained batteries can get multiple years out of them with a daily discharge, some going on 20 years with batteries designed for fork lifts. Down side is they are very heavy, outgas Hydrogen when charging, nasty in a garage. Even the gel batteries will outgas if over charged. Acid is nasty stuff to mess with BTW.

If you really want to find out more go start asking questions here:
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/forum.php

·
Registered
844 Posts
Being off grid with solar dosent make much sense today unless you are in a area wint no or infrequent power.
TOD rates make Grid tied solar better, as no battery will ever give you more back than you put in.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Being off grid with solar dosent make much sense today unless you are in a area wint no or infrequent power.
TOD rates make Grid tied solar better, as no battery will ever give you more back than you put in.
You are right, most of these guys are way off the power grid, and the cost to connect was huge $$$$$. Even today there are lots of places in the Western USA that don't have grid power easily obtainable. The only other reason to go off grid is if the grid is really unreliable, and there are many parts of the world that are just that way. For the occasional outage most of them recommend a backup generator as more cost effective if grid power is generally available.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Well I keep saying that I'm from Missouri, but good luck to them if they can make it work. As the great Chick Hearn always used to say, "It'll count if it goes!"

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
This off grid guy has grid nearby (but not near at a couple k a pole), but has a feedin-out tariff of 7::1. That's right, they pay 1/7th of what they charge (with a systems charge on top, and taxes), and insist on two meters, so even if you make more power than you use, you pay. SWVA, they do everything they can to suppress solar, so it's off-grid or you don't do it. Batteries do better than 7::1, to say the least. And since one charge on this car would have run my house for days, It's kind of nice to have something other than the grid to push any extra power into.

You guys elsewhere might have more like 1::1, but understand - that isn't all of us.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The standard Anode capacity of Li is 3.86 ah/gram Pb is 0.26.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Acid is nasty stuff to mess with BTW.
Boy, you aren't kidding. I just replaced a PbA battery on my ATV a couple of weeks ago. Those come with a plastic bottle of sulfuric acid, maybe a quart or so, on the order of 60-70% concentrated. Anyway, you pop off six small caps on the cell chambers, put in the acid, then trickle-charge the battery. Afterward you re-check the fill levels and install the battery.

Despite using great care, somehow I managed to get a small bit of it on my finger. So small an amount, I never did really see it. But I'll tell you this, I sure did notice my skin burning!! Neutralized with soap and a bunch of water ASAP. Definitely NOT something of which I'd want a significant spill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts