GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like how other cars have a temperature gauge so you can see if the car is hotter than normal, but not overheating. Is there a secret code you can type into the volt to see that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2017 will display coolant temperature as one of the items in the information display - where tire pressure, timer, trip odometer, etc. are also shown.

I don't know about earlier model years.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You'll need an OBD reader to pull the engine coolant and engine oil temps on a 2011-15 volt.
There is no display in the vehicle that will give an actual reading, just the error popup when out of range.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Agreed that the gen 1 does not have any built in temp gauge that can be seen from the DIC. When planning on driving in CS mode I have my obd2 dongle and phone app running to view the various gauges I want including an engine coolant temp gauge. Most of the time the engine ranges between 185 and 200*F. Extreme summer temps might be a few degrees higher but I'd really start getting concerned if it hits above 230-240 and reduce the engine load to see if that helps. Certainly don't like the idea of getting a warning that engine temp is too high only to find out that severe damage was already done which seems to have been the case for one member on here while driving back from Vegas.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Torque and an OBD2 adapter as said above:

ICE coolant temp, oil temp AND your transmission temp all across the top:

My charging screen:

I'm sure some of the guys here have better setups, but these are serving me well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2017 will display coolant temperature as one of the items in the information display - where tire pressure, timer, trip odometer, etc. are also shown.

I don't know about earlier model years.
Oh. well glad they added it to the latest volts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought three Scanguage II from Cleanmpg about a decade ago worked great with my fleet including the Volt naturally. Can display any of the OBDII outputs in a nice package and you can add your own "xgauges" Still can find them on thinkgeek or Amazon I bet. I love mine, highly recommend them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
they should display battery temperature too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ICE coolant temp, oil temp AND your transmission temp all across the top:
. . .

My charging screen:
. . .

I'm sure some of the guys here have better setups, but these are serving me well.
Hi is that Torque professional version? I downloaded the basic version and it just gives engine coolant temperature. Too bad you can't save that layout for me to upload to my torque.

P.S. This works perfectly with torque https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156E5JA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi is that Torque professional version? I downloaded the basic version and it just gives engine coolant temperature. Too bad you can't save that layout for me to upload to my torque.

P.S. This works perfectly with torque https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156E5JA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I found the link to the Volt extended PIDs somewhere on this site. I can export the layout. I'll see if I can put it in Google docs.

Here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?45097-OBD2-and-Vold-PIDs-for-Android-Torque-in-GoogleDoc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts