GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it seems to me that the "automatic transmission creep" feature when stopped in "Drive" must consume some energy. I mean, it's pushing against the brakes, isn't it? I've taken to putting 1756 in "Neutral" at lights. Does anyone know if there is any energy saving by doing so?

·
Administrator
20,226 Posts
No facts, but I doubt there is significant savings, if any.

Is the car actually pushing when your foot is on the brake, or does it simply creep when your foot is off? The brake could be acting like "kill creep" switch at that point as Chevy purposefully made the car creep only to simulate a traditional car's behavior. So the brake may simply be turning off creep rather than holding back a pushing force.

I'll be interested in the answer as well.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If your volt is in drive and at a stop light, when you remove your foot from the brake, does the volt move or do you have to press the accelerator? What if you are on an incline are remove your foot from the brake does the volt move?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If your volt is in drive and at a stop light, when you remove your foot from the brake, does the volt move or do you have to press the accelerator? What if you are on an incline are remove your foot from the brake does the volt move?
If you are on the flat it will definitely creep forward very slowly, just like a conventional auto trans. If pointed down hill it will coast right away if you take your foot off. Uphill sort of depends on how steep I guess, but it really does want to go.

Steverino makes a good point. the [email protected]#$%^ thing is so sophisticated that maybe it does actually have a "kill creep" capability.

Where's WOT now that we need him, LOL? Or Jason?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
When you are stopped and stepping on the brake you are essentially "in neutral" as no power is being delivered to the traction motor. So the "creep" only functions once you release the brake (and an analog brake pedal position sensor is used on the brake pedal to better facilitate this transition)

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I seem to remember reading someone's post that when the brake is depressed so that the car stops, the "creep" function is actually off, so no electricity flows, (except for the brake lights). As soon as you start to lift off the brake, the creep is turned back on.

Jerry, #536 in Fresno

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have sometimes been putting it in netrual as well, it seems to take less break pressure to hold it on unlevel ground.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you are stopped and stepping on the brake you are essentially "in neutral" as no power is being delivered to the traction motor. So the "creep" only functions once you release the brake (and an analog brake pedal position sensor is used on the brake pedal to better facilitate this transition)

HTH
WOT
Thanks as always for your insights. I guess I'll save a little wear and tear on the shifter, LOL. Best regards.

3,605 Posts
Hello Noel,

I did some checking around for you and I found that there is no value to putting your Volt into neutral.

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Noel,

I did some checking around for you and I found that there is no value to putting your Volt into neutral.

Volt Advisor Trevor
Thanks Trevor, as always. You certainly reflect a lot of credit on the VAT. Best regards.

3,605 Posts
Not a problem Noel, always more than happy to help.

Volt Advisor Team

1 - 11 of 11 Posts