GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is an Is there an Apple (iPhone/iPad) app or Android app for the 2017 Volt?
(Not an OnStar subscriber.)

Wondering if there's an app one can load on their phone to replace the key fob, control the charger, view battery status, unlock doors, etc. on 2017 Volt?

I've been looking. My dealer thinks there is but I think he doesn't know what he's taking about.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You can download, install the MyChevrolet App on your iPhone/iPad. Even if you don't have an OnStar data plan you can still access the remote vehicle functions: lock, unlock, preconditioning (remote start), cancel preconditioning, honk horn, stop honking horn. You will need to set up an account on https://my.chevrolet.com/home You will need to create a PIN to use with the MyChevrolet App but you can store the PIN on your iPhone and use Apple's Touch ID to authenticate access each time you wish to use the remote functions. Also, the same MyChevrolet App remote functions can be accessed from an Apple Watch but currently this requires Bluetooth connectivity between the Apple Watch and your iPhone even though the Apple Watch can support wifi and LTE (if the watch is LTE equipped.)

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Not sure if there is an Android app but you can access the same remote functions from the my.chevrolet.com website using your browser on your computer, tablet or Android phone.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
They recently enabled vehicle status for Basic plan customers too, so you can see your charge level and range. This should be for both Android and iOS users.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
They recently enabled vehicle status for Basic plan customers too, so you can see your charge level and range. This should be for both Android and iOS users.
If you want to pay for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, it is free for 5 years....

The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to 5 years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014 model year and newerb vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, pre-owned vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnosticsc, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to select mobile app featuresd. Basic Plan does not include emergency, security, or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, which require a paid subscription or add-on plan. Ability to send a destination to a vehicle’s in-dash navigation screen through a smartphone is available in Basic Plan for 2011 model year and newer vehicles with an embedded navigation system. Visit onstar.com for vehicle availability, coverage map, details and system limitations. Subject to OnStar User Terms.
For 2014 model year vehicles, Basic Plan may be called RemoteLink Key Fob Services in some instances.
bLimitations apply. See OnStar User Terms and Privacy Statement for more details. If you sell your vehicle or wish to cancel Basic Plan services, contact OnStar at 1.888.4.ONSTAR.
cCapabilities vary by model. Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations. Message and data rates may apply. Requires an active OnStar service, email address on file and enrollment in Advanced Diagnostics. Proactive Alerts are designed to predict specific types of issues based on information collected from the vehicle. Not all issues will deliver alerts. In certain scenarios, a dealer service check may be required to confirm the accuracy of the Proactive Alerts.
dRequires compatible iOS® or Android™ device. Please visit onstar.com/mobileapp for more details.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
How could a 2017 not have full OnStar? I thought at least 1 year and possibly 3years were included?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Activate the free 5 years of basic On-star. They will act like you have to give them a credit card number for their files, but you don't. Just tell them you don't want to give your credit card information at this time.

The 5 years of basic service is worth it just to be able to remote start/precondition the car from your phone. I can't see the car in the my detached garage, so I can't confirm a start from my keyfob, so most of the time, I just start it from the Onstar app on cold mornings. I've also preconditioned it while it's plugged in, in a parking garage, while I'm blocks away wrapping up a meeting.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
How could a 2017 not have full OnStar? I thought at least 1 year and possibly 3years were included?
I think the new cars are now coming with only 3 months of full OnStar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 3 month trial for OnStar and SiriusXM dropped of on the 3rd. Basic settings still work perfectly, but OnStar and SiriusXM werent willing to talk about any deals (except for an extra 2 or 3 months free), so I chose to not maintain them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The 5 years of basic service is worth it just to be able to remote start/precondition the car from your phone.
The KeyFob functions are now free forever. You do not need the basic plan. The new Volts only come with 3 months of basic. My 2013 basic plans have expired and now I get the KeyFob functions only without the vehicle stats.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The KeyFob functions are now free forever. You do not need the basic plan. The new Volts only come with 3 months of basic. My 2013 basic plans have expired and now I get the KeyFob functions only without the vehicle stats.
I think we are talking about the same thing, but Onstar is the reason for the confusion. They sometimes call it Basic Plan, and sometime Keyfob function. But I still get the vehicle stats on my on-star app with the basic plan (tire pressure, charging status, electric and gas miles, etc).

My Certified Pre Owned 2014 came with 3 months of full Onstar, and 3 years of basic Onstar.

From the fine print notes here: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-support/basic-plan.html

"1The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to five years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014a model year and newerb vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, pre-owned vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnostics,c Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to limited RemoteLink mobile app features.d Basic Plan does not include emergency, security, or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, which require a paid subscription plan. Ability to send a destination to a vehicle's in-dash navigation screen through a smartphone is available in Basic Plan for 2011 model year and newer vehicles with an embedded navigation system. Visit onstar.com for vehicle availability, coverage map, details and system limitations. Subject to Terms and Conditions.

aFor 2014 model year vehicles, Basic Plan may be called RemoteLink Key Fob Services in some instances"

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think we are talking about the same thing, but Onstar is the reason for the confusion. They sometimes call it Basic Plan, and sometime Keyfob function. But I still get the vehicle stats on my on-star app with the basic plan (tire pressure, charging status, electric and gas miles, etc).

My Certified Pre Owned 2014 came with 3 months of full Onstar, and 3 years of basic Onstar.

From the fine print notes here: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-support/basic-plan.html

"1The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to five years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014a model year and newerb vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, pre-owned vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnostics,c Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to limited RemoteLink mobile app features.d Basic Plan does not include emergency, security, or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, which require a paid subscription plan. Ability to send a destination to a vehicle's in-dash navigation screen through a smartphone is available in Basic Plan for 2011 model year and newer vehicles with an embedded navigation system. Visit onstar.com for vehicle availability, coverage map, details and system limitations. Subject to Terms and Conditions.

aFor 2014 model year vehicles, Basic Plan may be called RemoteLink Key Fob Services in some instances"
I can say from experience that the basic plan and the keyfob functions only are not the same. I got email and phone warnings that my basic plan was about to expire and that I should renew. I did not renew and was worried that the keyfob functions would be lost. The day came for expiration and the tire pressue, charging status etc. are no longer available. Now I only have keyfob functions which is all I want.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can say from experience that the basic plan and the keyfob functions only are not the same. I got email and phone warnings that my basic plan was about to expire and that I should renew. I did not renew and was worried that the keyfob functions would be lost. The day came for expiration and the tire pressue, charging status etc. are no longer available. Now I only have keyfob functions which is all I want.
Interesting, as I can't even find pricing on Onstar's website for the "basic plan". The only thing I seem to have lost when my 3 month trial ended and it switched to basic, was the ability to send a destination to my navigation system, and ability to change my charging status via the app (I have delayed charging set up, and I used to be able to change it to "immediate") on the app. Are you using the Onstar "Remotelink App", or the MyChevrolet App? I'm using the Onstar App on Android.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So I have 2 2013 Volts. One the basic plan expired and one that is still active. One gets on the stats on the app the other does not. So my guess is that is the direction GM is going. I think I saw somewhere they will give keyfob functions for all cars no charge. In a few months my other 2013 basic plan will expire. It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens.

Wait... update. Mine expired in July on one of my Volts. After the emails and me declining to pay for the service I lost everything but keyfob.

With all this talk of everyone having access to status, I just decided to click on it for grins. Guess what.. I have it. I wonder what change in the last 3 months? Seems GM cant make up its mind about what the basic service is or is not.

Even the send to vehicle on the Navigation works again. Geez, I don't think they really know what they are going to do with this, unless they wanted to see how many people would actually pay for the service.

I am using the MyCheverolet app.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts