GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a "Fan Only" setting on the HVAC, but I've noticed that even when I have it set to "Fan Only", the AC still kicks on from time to time. I have the temperature turned low so that the heat doesn't come on. Is there any way to ensure that I'm not wasting power on the AC or heat when all I want is some air movement (other than opening the windows, of course)? [I really miss the good old days of physical knobs that only did what you wanted them to do...]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is there any way to ensure that I'm not wasting power on the AC or heat when all I want is some air movement (other than opening the windows, of course)?
No. The car decides when it needs to run the AC or heat to cool or warm the traction battery. The same system is used for both the battery and the cabin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As per BillG, the car will cycle AC as needed for propulsion battery needs. When its on for the battery, and your cabin temp is set cooler than ambient, you get "free" AC! The car sees that Its on anyway (for cooling the battery), so you can have some too. (Battery and cabin use the same high voltage AC pump) There is a separate dedicated heating module that is in the battery pack, so no "free" heat from that.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I'd guess the fan setting would minimize energy from AC or heat. Only thing going to the passenger compartment would be the result of battery heating/cooling.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Check under settings to see of the auto defog is on.

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, my first thought is the auto defog setting. When I first got my '14 Volt, I turned that setting on and forgot about it.

A few months later, I had the same frustration when I realized that "fan only" didn't mean no AC.

But it turned out to be the auto defog setting that would kick in w/ AC from time to time. Turning it off should make "fan only" truly fan only.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Mine has a label that says ( FAN NOW )- but may slow down if you use the phone

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
A/C is very efficient. I used A/C on eco mode the whole distance and got 6 Km. farther than I did the previous same trip using no A/C, no heat. There are other factors the draw juice more than A/C, (speed, throttle position/acceleration, traffic/slowing down, speeding up, etc.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts