GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 worked fine last night and is dead today. FOB doesn't work, no dashboard indicators, won't start, ...
This happened once before and we needed to replace the 12V battery. It was only 4 years ago so I'm a little suspicious it's the battery again, but... I tried an electronic jump starter on it but that didn't fix the problem. It would be way easier to test and service the battery if I didn't need to crawl through the cabin and be prone to get at it.

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,072 Posts
Put the jump pack on the terminals under the hood and then pop the hatch. All you need is 12 volts on those terminals to be able to power the latch. If the jump pack won’t work, it means that the battery is totally dead. So then use jumper cables and a good car battery. If that doesn’t work the last resort is to crawl back there, pop off the little square panel and use a large screwdriver to turn the latch.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Reactions: RCB268

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2012 worked fine last night and is dead today. FOB doesn't work, no dashboard indicators, won't start, ...
This happened once before and we needed to replace the 12V battery. It was only 4 years ago so I'm a little suspicious it's the battery again, but... I tried an electronic jump starter on it but that didn't fix the problem. It would be way easier to test and service the battery if I didn't need to crawl through the cabin and be prone to get at it.
You seem surprised that you "Only" got 4 years out of your 12V battery. How many did you think you'd get? 4 years is a long time in modern cars with all of the computers that put parasitic drains on the batteries. A lot of folks change their batteries every 3-4 years just to keep this from happening. Does this mean you may change out a good battery sometime? Yes it does but better to be proactive so that you change it on your terms and not get stranded somewhere that might be nearly impossible to get a new AGM battery for a decent price.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
You seem surprised that you "Only" got 4 years out of your 12V battery. How many did you think you'd get? 4 years is a long time in modern cars with all of the computers that put parasitic drains on the batteries. A lot of folks change their batteries every 3-4 years just to keep this from happening. Does this mean you may change out a good battery sometime? Yes it does but better to be proactive so that you change it on your terms and not get stranded somewhere that might be nearly impossible to get a new AGM battery for a decent price.
Mine was 9 years old and still going strong when I replaced it. But if I were in someplace like Phoenix Arizona where extreme heat shortens battery life, 3-4 years might be all I'd expect.

Reactions: RCB268

·
Registered
491 Posts
While I was having no known issues with my almost 8 year old 12V battery, my Chevy service manager said "...it's time to change it up, regardless..." That's what I did. Not cheap, but prudent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts