GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but cannot find whether Mountain Mode requires a minimum battery charge level in order to recharge properly. I accidentally discharged to 0 miles electric range over the weekend. After placing my 2013 model into Mountain Mode, the engine RPM increased as expected and the gray battery segments built to the red horizontal line. It took around 20 minutes. When I returned to Normal Mode, the battery showed 0 miles and the engine continued to run in CS mode as if nothing had changed. Is this designed behavior or do I have a problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the SoC falls below 5%, this will happen. The actual amount of miles will vary depending on the season (mine typically has to fall to or below 3 miles before it will switch to 0 miles in MM). If you switch back after it hits 0 miles, the car will still run on the stored energy, but you'll be without the benefit of the range estimation. Either switch to MM before the battery reaches these points, or power off and back on (when safe, obviously) to restore the mileage counter. Unfortunately my Volt has spent probably 3/4 of its 13k mile life in MM so I'm rather familiar with its quirks.
Just for kicks and grins, 40 mph is the ideal speed to charge at in MM since the ICE will not shut off, even after the maximum charge level is reached. I've managed to push as high as 60% SoC in MM as long as I was able to maintain that speed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If the SoC falls below 5%, this will happen. The actual amount of miles will vary depending on the season (mine typically has to fall to or below 3 miles before it will switch to 0 miles in MM). If you switch back after it hits 0 miles, the car will still run on the stored energy, but you'll be without the benefit of the range estimation. Either switch to MM before the battery reaches these points, or power off and back on (when safe, obviously) to restore the mileage counter. Unfortunately my Volt has spent probably 3/4 of its 13k mile life in MM so I'm rather familiar with its quirks.
Just for kicks and grins, 40 mph is the ideal speed to charge at in MM since the ICE will not shut off, even after the maximum charge level is reached. I've managed to push as high as 60% SoC in MM as long as I was able to maintain that speed.
I'm curious as to what type of conditions you drive your Volt in that would require fully 75% of it's operation to be running in MM? If you are always using the ICE to charge your battery while driving (and not climbing the likes of pikes peak every day) "you're doing it wrong".

Recharging the pack using the ICE is not a very efficient use of the gasoline in the tank as the ICE will work harder than in CS mode (when your pack is in a low SOC) because it not only needs to power the traction motor "and the rest of the then current accessory load/s" but must kick it up a few more notches to generate excess electricity above and beyond that to bring the pack SOC up.

Not trying to be condescending (I'm guessing?? you must know what you're doing) But I don't know that I've ever heard of the need to operate any Volt in MM that often. Please elaborate !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.