GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is addressed elsewhere I know, but I need the definitive answer for the state of Pennsylvania DEP emissions test.Only 'gas powered cars' need to take the test so....

From the Pa. State vehicle emissions manual:

"Who must participate: Motorists with gasoline powered cars,
Some exempt vehicles include vehicles registered as: antiques, classics, collectibles, street
rods, specially constructed, vehicles over 9,000 lbs., non-gasoline powered vehicles and
vehicles driven less than 5,000 miles during the previous year."

I am looking for a clear cut yes or no. I know it is complicated but I would like a clear argument for 'NO' the Volt is not a "gas powered vehicle."
If the Volt is not a Gas powered vehicle then the Volt is exempt from emissions tests in Pa. I am presenting the case for why the Volt should be exempt to my congressman next week. I am looking for a simple concise description of why the Volt should be exempt from emissions tests. Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Technically, it is able to run on gas, but it does not need gas to drive. I have driven mine with zero gas in it. I think the best you can expect is what California does, which is to exempt new cars for 2 years and hybrids for 4 years or there abouts.

How about a sliding scale, so that those that use a lot of gas have to get tested every year (or every two years), and those that run on electricity mostly can go every 2 years (or 4 years)?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
They need a new category for plug in extended range electric vehicle. Since they have one category for under 5000 miles, perhaps "PiHV driven less than 10000 miles".

·
Registered
562 Posts
You put gas in it, don't you? Maybe not very often, but it does use some from time to time.

Both ends of the spectrum are possible with the volt - you could drive it primarily on gas, or you could drive it primarily on electricity... or anywhere inbetween. What applies to you might not apply to others. It does have an engine, and with that an emissions system, that could malfunction/need maintenance.

That said, the tests (and wording) are geared towards single fuel vehicles... there's already an exemption for total number of miles, perhaps that would make more sense for total number of miles on gas? (Though I don't think that should exempt it entirely... I'd not be too happy with a bunch of vehicles spewing out massive clouds of black fumes just because each individual one is used rarely)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Technically, it is able to run on gas, but it does not need gas to drive. I have driven mine with zero gas in it. I think the best you can expect is what California does, which is to exempt new cars for 2 years and hybrids for 4 years or there abouts.
Hybrids are just plain exempt from smog inspections. From the DMV website,

"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older."

·
8,680 Posts
The real answer is "sometimes" or "occasionally" depending on your driving habits. :)

Which means that for the purpose of the legislation, the answer is yes. You have a gasoline engine on board capable of propelling the car and with emissions controls designed to comply with federal emission regulations. The state wishes to verify that the emissions controls are compliant.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
It's has a gas engine and emission controls to comply with federal regulations. For the purposes of state emission testing, it's a gas vehicle.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Exempt here in Colorado. Electric.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
It is an electric car that happens to have its very own gasoline powered generator on board, which may or may not be engaged due to operator usage...:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
How about they run the test, whether they can start the engine or not? :-D

But doesn't everyone just use OBDII for emissions these days in conjunction with a safety inspection?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Then there are GE employees who got Volts. They also got Gas Cards and never plug the car in and always drive on gas. Might be some GE employees in PA that fit that profile.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I add air a lot to the 4 round air storage units so I guess the Volt is air powered as well.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Why not relax wait for the test notice to come and let the testers figure it out. Seems like a lot less work to me.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Why not relax wait for the test notice to come and let the testers figure it out. Seems like a lot less work to me.
That is the best advice on this thread. None of us know how your state is going to classify it unless we live in your state and have already gone through it, so wait and let the state tell you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
jjeeper. Yes it does matter. In Pennsylvania if i drive my Subaru ICE (or any other ICE vehicle) less than 5000 miles/year it is emissions exempt. If I drive the Volt ICE less than 5000 miles/year I get taxed (emissions test tax)
That is why I am trying to change the wording in the Pa. State emissions test . To acknowledge new technoolgy which does not require emissions testing under the spirit of the law.
I believe the Volt is powered by stored electricity that comes in my area from multiple generator sources, those sources have emissions tests that the ratepayers allready pay for. When the ICE engine is used in CS mode in the Volt it acts as a generator to create electricity to sustain the batteries. The Volt is 'powered' by electricity.
I drive 95% CD 5% CS. The Pa. statute exempts 'electric cars' and 'specially' constructed vehicles. I believe that the Volt is a 'Specially' constructed vehicle like no other that does not require 'emissions test' here in Pa. As it is allready exempt in many states as posters have indicated.
I am dealing with 'legal' language here to try and convice my state rep to push for this language change in Pa.
Other 'electric vehicles' are exempt. Vehicles with less that 5000 miles/yr on their ICE are exempt. If the Volt is more 'electric' powered than gas powered there should be an emissions class to reflect that as in many other states.

Jim Fallston. My Volt has flunked emissions test twice. See thread 'My Volt Failed State Inspection: Not Enough Gas Used. "http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?71105-My-Volt-Failed-State-Inspection-Not-Enough-Gas-Used.&highlight=emissions
If it is powered by electricity, uses electricricity, also has a 'gas engine' that acts as a generator of electricity to 'sustain' the batteries - Then the Volt is exempt from emissions tests in Pennsylvania. Also the Pa. law is based on CARB. And CARB exempts the VOLT from emissions tests.
(The statute clearly states that "electric cars and vehicles with less than 5,000 miles driven in the year prior are exempt." ) "in ICE mode" inserted after 'driven' would make it even more clear that the Volt is exempt. jThat is the specific language that I beleive should be insertedin the statute.But I believe that even with existing language the Volt is an electric powered car and exempt in Pa.
Why get upset over millions of dollars wasted in emissions tests? some of you ask. Because it is a waste and could be better spent.
( Cord, your Volt is full of hot air! would make a great politician.)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Talk to the congressman next sunday at plug in day when he is there, and maybe get him to help us as a group talk to Harrisburg. You dont drive your Volt enough on gas to trigger the sensors properly. They need to be able to sense the number of gas miles driven per year through the onboard computer and trigger an acceptance bias per gas miles driven.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts