GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the Chinese version can show a grid:

ceMPJRh5QOKfs.jpg

In my other vehicles where I do have a grid in the reverse view, I find the grid very helpful for gauging distance.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That would be AMAZING, OUTSTANDING, and INCREDIBLE if we could somehow do that.

Our 2010 GMC Terrain had those and they turned with the steering wheel. Why does my 2013 not even have the grid? It's like a step backwards. (I know the answer - it was because of money, and yet somehow now, the newer vehicles have the lines).

·
Registered
708 Posts
You can have the grid lines, I don't like them at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2012 has those lines, and they curve when I turn the steering wheel, but I don't think it is mentioned anywhere in the owner's manual. It can be enabled by pressing the "Config" button (to the right of the tune dial), selecting "Display," "Rear Camera Options," and enabling "Guiding Lines." Maybe the functionality has been removed from the newer models, though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmmm. Just checked on my 2014, and the only option under rear camera is to enable or disable symbols. With either option I don't get the lines. I previously saw a YouTube video showing the lines on a 2015 are present and didn't realise that 2012 or 2013 could do it. Now I'm confused why my 2014 doesn't...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The PiP didn't have the grid, so I'm used to not having it on the '14.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you ssjimbo. That answered my questions. Bummer. All it takes is a software update. I suppose GM would not consider giving it to us 2013/2014 owners, not even for a price?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
We have a few topics on this but not reason it was NOT available on the 2014-2014 Volts. I do seem to remember one person posted about a 3'th party camera kit that had lines he installed on a volt with out a backup camera but not sure which volt year.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
How could a 3rd party camera tap into the steering angle data? That would seem complicated.

What is NOT complicated is to offer a SW upgrade to '13 and '14 Volt owners that want the grid lines.

But, alas, GM does not like to make simple SW features available as an upgrade, even for a price.

'11 and '12 owners do not have HOLD, but there is a place on the display for it. Simple SW upgrade.

Why is this GM? You could be making a very small amount of money offering SW upgrades. Or make people buy a new model Volt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My 2012 has the grid lines.
I think GM switched manufacturers of the back-up camera between the '12 and '13 model years, so '13 and '14 Volts did not have the grid lines. I read there was some patent dispute which was the reason the grid lines were dropped. But I swear I've read a couple of '15 owners have stated they have the grid lines feature.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What is NOT complicated is to offer a SW upgrade to '13 and '14 Volt owners that want the grid lines
I'm not sure it would be simple. Infringement covers making, using, or selling patented technology. I think things can get sticky if a manufacturer provides everything needed (to infringe), but somehow disables it because they have not paid the license fee. In effect, this may be construed as infringement, even if it is disabled.

It could be that GM stripped out everything associated with providing grid lines, potentially even hardware. Retrofitting a car to enable grid lines could be easier said than done.

Of course, as you say, anything is possible if the price is right.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can take or leave grid lines, but for a REAL improvement Chevy needs to mount a dedicated light sensor aimed to the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts