GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........like the transition back in the 60's to the popular VW Beetle and other "small" cars? It was pretty "cool" to own a bug!
(maybe it's going to become "cool" to own an EV? :)..........

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Having grow'd up in the 60's very early 70's, what was cool were intermediate to full size cars with V-8 engines. Bug = I'm poor or eccentric, like my friend who claimed his 40 hp Beetle had the same engineering as a Porsche, and how he could hole shot muscle cars off the line (sound familiar?). Yeah, right, except I said that in a nicer way.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I remember best about the "bug" was how tightly built it was.....you almost had to have a wndow rolled down to get the doors to shut! I also remember what a handful it was on the freeway when it was windy out!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Like all new automotive technology the transition to EVs will start at the high end and then migrated to lower priced vehicles.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Having grow'd up in the 60's very early 70's, what was cool were intermediate to full size cars with V-8 engines. Bug = I'm poor or eccentric, like my friend who claimed his 40 hp Beetle had the same engineering as a Porsche, and how he could hole shot muscle cars off the line (sound familiar?). Yeah, right, except I said that in a nicer way.
It's already cool to own an EV -- even an EREV. But the transition will be different from what took place back then.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Growing up in the 1980's/1990's, my uncle had a VW bug. We (my cousins, brother, etc...) used to pick it up off the ground and put it on the sidewalk, turn it around, etc... to mess with him.

Not much weight to that thing.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I had a Beetle that I paid $350 for. Outside it looked like someone took a shotgun to it but inside it was like brand new. Drove the begeezers out of it, it was bullet proof. Used it for work and made a good penny off of it as the per diem rates were set for a new Chevy Malibu. Had a gas heater in that would have you sweating in minutes at -40 with consequences at the gas gauge. Had it up to 84 mph on he way to the airport once.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
We've always had some kind of smaller car in the family. The last beetle we had was destroyed when a girl jumped the curb with her car and slammed into it while it was sitting in the driveway. It was replaced with a Toyota Corona.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't think the transition is anything like it was in the '60's - When you got out of a 'normal' car and into a 30 or 40 horsepower mini-car you were constant worried about being run over. You frequently drove with the pedal to the metal watching your mirrors and hoping something twice your size didn't run over you

Most EV's are, more or less, 'normal' cars and many are actually hot rods - You're only watching your mirrors to see how quickly the other cars are falling behind. Even out little Mitsubishi's with their rated 55 HP electric motors have 200 ft lbs of torque and they will (slowly) run away from most other 4 cylinder cars - You're certainly not holding up traffic like you were in a 36 hp bug . . . . and if you own a Volt, Bolt or Tesla, well you've got a V-8 killer in your garage - No 'transition' needed to get used to driving one of those!

Don

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I do think that in the coming decades we'll look back at hybrids, including the Volt, to be the automotive equivalent of the Fulton Steam Engine. A short term intermediate solution while the full transition of oil to electric ground transportation takes place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Coming from a guy with ED, I found it EZ to transition into an EV from my LS.

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
I don't think the EV movement today is the same as the VW Beetle heydays, though one similarity is an EV is viewed by some as "quirky" and a bit odd.

I had a bug, I dropped the engine numerous times to work on it, disassembled the car numerous times, repainted it numerous times. It was a great car to learn on. It also lasted through three hand-me downs in the family and finally was "retired" from service 20-some years after I bought it new for under $2000.

In regards to the Bug=I'm poor, sure, besides a record of durability I bought it for the value. I'm not as poor today as I was then, but I still look for value. That's why I have two Chevy EVs instead of one Tesla. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Times have changed, that's for sure. We used to look forward to doing our own maintenance because it was relatively easy and often necessary. I recall having a lot of issues with the choke system on the Beetle. Anyway, most of today's cars are so high tech and complex, the average owner is best not to even lift the hood :).....
By my hope is that the EV will be reliable and at least as dependable as my Chromebook has been :)......

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I do think that in the coming decades we'll look back at hybrids, including the Volt, to be the automotive equivalent of the Fulton Steam Engine. A short term intermediate solution while the full transition of oil to electric ground transportation takes place.
Heh. Steam cars started commercial production in the 1890s and the last production model quit in 1930. If hybrids last about as long, we'll still see new Priuses on the road for another 20 years...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Heh. Steam cars started commercial production in the 1890s and the last production model quit in 1930. If hybrids last about as long, we'll still see new Priuses on the road for another 20 years...
Steam engines became a transitional technology. Hybrids are also a transitional technology.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Bolt is everything that the auto industry has been trying to sell us for years. Quiet, no real maintenance, comfortable, great MPG since it uses household current, and fun to drive. The transition to EV was easy and painless. Wish it was available back when I had my VW (remember the VW fastback?). The rear engined VW’s were great in snow, but boy did they hydroplane!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts