GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ever happened to the rumored Buick BEV crossover?

Last I heard GM had done some private focus groups showing a Buick BEV concept with a fair amount of details.

Is that car ever going to be made??

·
Registered
4,763 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts

Last I heard GM had done some private focus groups showing a Buick BEV concept with a fair amount of details.

They are working on it, but mainly for the China market. Chinese love Buick for some odd reason. They look at Buicks like Americans look at Mercedes-Benz. I read an article the other day that said, GM is having problems with the Chinese Battery supplier and poor quality issues. This is causing delays with the Buick CUV being built for China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
We are at least 2 years away from any new models, some 5years away. Until we are months away we likely won't hear much.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, guys. Kind of disappointing. I incorrectly assumed we were closer to launch. The Volt is the best car I've ever owned and now I'm looking at BEVs. I don't really care for the Bolt EV (good car, just not for me) and I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 years.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Here are 2 glimpses of General Motor's battery electric future: https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/04/24/here-are-2-glimpses-of-general-motors-electric-fut.aspx

"GM plans to launch at least 20 electric vehicles by the year 2023. The first two, coming next year (2019?), will be based on GM's existing technology used the Chevrolet Bolt EV."
Interesting article. This is the most salient statement: "that would suggest that GM has engineered the new architecture to allow both hybrid and fully electric versions of the same vehicle. That would be a sensible move, given that nobody knows how quickly consumers will embrace fully electric cars on a large scale"

It also sounds like 2021 for new, really long range BEVs.

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 years.
Your bank is telling you to either spend the money in your account or lose it? :)

My 2011 Volt is doing great. 7+ years and I hope I get another 7 out of it. Then again, I have some shoes that are 20 years old too. If you take care of things, they can last a long time.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 years.
2 years is an interminable amount of time when you are 7 years old but a blink of the eye when you are 70. If you are driving an EV car (like the Volt) you aren't going to get that much more with a BEV that will be out in 2 years (or next generation of EV's). That being said some people like to change their cars every year, some every 20 years.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your bank is telling you to either spend the money in your account or lose it? :)

My 2011 Volt is doing great. 7+ years and I hope I get another 7 out of it. Then again, I have some shoes that are 20 years old too. If you take care of things, they can last a long time.
I should have clarified, the BEV purchase would not be to replace my Volt, it would be to replace our other car that is not quite on it's last legs, but close. I don't think that car will last another 2 years.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Interesting article. This is the most salient statement: "that would suggest that GM has engineered the new architecture to allow both hybrid and fully electric versions of the same vehicle. That would be a sensible move, given that nobody knows how quickly consumers will embrace fully electric cars on a large scale"

It also sounds like 2021 for new, really long range BEVs.
More importantly, when will the charging infrastructure be in place?

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
More importantly, when will the charging infrastructure be in place?
It's in place now...and growing. But if you are looking to be able to drive coast to coast on a regular basis, you're looking at the wrong car. And a BEV will continue to be the wrong car for similar applications for a long time. Using the right tool for the job is essential.

·
8,680 Posts

Every car is vaporware - until it isn't. The Buick or electrified GM SUV/CUV beyond the 2 motor hybrids of a decade ago have been vaporware so far.

It is unlikely that GM will choose not to join the industry trend at some point in the future; MB just announced their CUV today, the iPace is reaching the first customers, and Audi and BMW are about ready to go now, too.

What will show up and when is very much open to question/speculation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts