GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
The radio and nav just appear to be two different apps within the infotainment system and you can run none, one or both at the same time. There is no off switch for the radio. Nav will overlay a popup at the bottom of the screen if you are running the radio and you can choose to view/dismiss the info. if you dismiss the radio screen stays up, if you choose to view it switches to nav but the radio audio stays on.
This seems to be about right. I tried various things tonight before driving home.

The "display: off" in the settings is basically just turning off the screen not the system so its like turning off a monitor and leaving the computer running so the mini-nav still stays in the DIC. (The same can be accomplished by pressing and holding the volume button.) If there is anything requiring input then the screen switches itself back on again.

I was able to reproduce this by leaving the nav running, then switching to audio on the main screen, then turning the screen off. When there was a turn prompt in the nav the screen came back on because the popup came up asking to view or dismiss and required my input. On the other hand, if I made sure the nav was the active app and turned the screen off then it stayed off as there was no popup. I also set the audio to aux to make sure no radio sounds. You can then switch nav sounds on and off in the DIC display while leaving the main display off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have Nav in my 2015 and I like it but one disappointment is that you don't get live traffic unless you subscribe to traffic data via XM. And XM is making it so difficult to add traffic data to my account (I'm still on my free trial) that I've given up and will just not bother.

I *think* that the Nav equipped 2016s get trafffic data included with their free trial of XM. I wish the 2015s did.
My memory is nav traffic is a separate subscription and only 2 or 3 dollars a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank You and Please keep this discussion going. I am learning so much about NAV. $200 for an update...Ouch! Probably would not have noticed that in the fine print. It does look like a nice option to have it in the steering display. Can anyone please answer if while viewing it in the steering console, it is possible to use the main console for other tasks?
Absolutely. Even if you are displaying energy On main screen and music below the speedometer I noticed when approaching the next turn it shows up below speedometer and as a thick bar at the bottom of main screen with option to switch to full map.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like all of it so far, although the traffic maps are weird to get used to at first. I hate the giant-ass list of potential issues with the tiny map. Just give me a big map with something I can tap on if I want to see what the issue is.

Along the nav questions line -

I have several destinations that I want to add as like, "my destinations" or favorites or whatever in this nav. I don't mind typing them out on a computer, but is there an easier way to get them in other than tapping them in one by one on the screen? At least with typing on a keyboard I can go pretty quick.

I looked through the manual and I can't find anything. It says "refer to your navigation manual" but I don't see that in my giant-ass packet of manuals or online? You guys have any idea how to front-load destinations??
Yes. OnStar app, send to car or using voice (which I have found to be excellent)

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's included on mine

Yeah, you guys get "all access" from Sirius whereas we just get "select" from XM and it would appear you also get the full traffic link whereas we dont ! Wonder if this is why you also get a speed limit display on the DIC (just like you do in a cheap nav system) and yet again in Canada we do not.

Loving the car, but starting to get a little irritated at the differences in what should be standard features.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The answer, according to a Volt Advisor, is that it requires the Nav Traffic subscription and is available on the Premier only.

So it is another reason to have Nav but only if you're going to keep Traffic.

I think he is referring to the speed limit display in the lower screen below... I have Navigation, so the question is whether models without the Nav option also can display it? Hopefully someone else will help with that answer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had assumed that the speed limit display was coming via character recognition from the front camera. The speed limits on my display pop up when I pass a sign on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have NAV but think NAV systems are now obsolete. The only bummer is Apple Play makes you use Apple Maps which IMO are vastly inferior to Google Maps.
Agree that apple maps stinks and hate that they are forcing it on iphone uses more and more. Cant wait till android shows up for the volt so I can make the jump to a nexus 5x or 6p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the navigation is a must have feature for my 2016 volt, not only does it integrated with the gauge display, which is convenient and easy to read, also it works perfectly with voice command and smart phone app, which can track your car position and send destination and get the navigation ready right after you start your car. To me the 500- price is very reasonable compare to most of the other manufacturers

·
Banned
75 Posts
I think the Nav is terrible in Los Angeles. I'm just waiting for an android app to let me use Waze or Google Maps from my phone.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts