GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Having used OnStar for navigation, i can tell you that i am not impressed by it at all. It is very easy interface to work with but the main meat and bone of it is bad.

+ es:
Talk to human to find/navigate to a address

- es:
1. No re-route.
2. Arrival is approximate. e.g, One of the place i wanted was on a state hwy intersection. Once we reached the intersection, it said arrived. This is NJ, it is not that easy. Luckily i knew the area.

About using smartphones for navigation, sounds good at first, but i would rather have it as a last minute. Battery and data charges are not worth it.

Leaves us with just 2 options. 1. In car systems and 2. Garmins of the world. I prefer Garmin as we can get up-to-date maps for free vs buying expensive In car systems with costly map updates.
I currently have two GPS nav apps that work off of my contact list and today Google is updating their app to download maps to use sans data which I will be installing shortly. Update:I downloaded the latest app and the max area to download is 31x31 miles. Not large enough for me.
As far as battery goes, I have my phone charging via the 12v plug..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree, if it comes down to a cost of $495 because you are already getting the premium package, then I might lean toward getting it considering it may well boost resale value.

One advantage of going with a Garmin is that it essentially gives your car an additional display and frees up the primary for other uses. Premium Garmin models can have effective voice control, Bluetooth integration and different levels of traffic information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've learned to stay away from 'factory' navigation for at least 2 reasons (cited in this thread)

1 -Cost $495* (Waze/Google and others are free and have live traffic)
2- For those who don't have smart phones - Garmin works well though the traffic updates have up to 10 minute delays

*Cost is really not $495 - as each time you update the maps it's another $200 - this is really a sales organizations dream come true

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think I managed to answer my own question. The weather app appears to be Siriux XM Travel Link as opposed to XM Traffic and this is not included in the trial.
Having just picked up my 2016 Volt about a week ago, I'm still on my XM trial period too. I believe both XM traffic and weather are both working for me. I'm not particularly impressed with either function though and will almost certainly let them go when the trial period is over.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like all of it so far, although the traffic maps are weird to get used to at first. I hate the giant-ass list of potential issues with the tiny map. Just give me a big map with something I can tap on if I want to see what the issue is.

Along the nav questions line -

I have several destinations that I want to add as like, "my destinations" or favorites or whatever in this nav. I don't mind typing them out on a computer, but is there an easier way to get them in other than tapping them in one by one on the screen? At least with typing on a keyboard I can go pretty quick.

I looked through the manual and I can't find anything. It says "refer to your navigation manual" but I don't see that in my giant-ass packet of manuals or online? You guys have any idea how to front-load destinations??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Having just picked up my 2016 Volt about a week ago, I'm still on my XM trial period too. I believe both XM traffic and weather are both working for me. I'm not particularly impressed with either function though and will almost certainly let them go when the trial period is over.
Its another case of the USA getting what Canada doesnt then ..... i believe you get 'all access' level we just get 'select' . There is also a different set of channels on the radio for us (no Howard !).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its another case of the USA getting what Canada doesnt then ..... i believe you get 'all access' level we just get 'select' . There is also a different set of channels on the radio for us (no Howard !).
Bummer that our northern friends are missing out on some of the goodies, but in this particular case, you're really not missing out on much with the weather app. I rather wish that I could delete the app from my screen since it's basically useless if you don't intend to be an XM subscriber. Anybody know how to hack it out?

I realize that I didn't throw in my $0.02 about the original topic of this thread. Since you're already considering the premier package before you can even consider getting navigation, I agree with some others on this thread that the extra $495 isn't really all that much compared to the total cost. In terms of relative costs, it's similar to choosing siren red or kinetic blue over one of the basic colors. I really like kinetic blue but for me, it's a no-brainer that I'll get more bang for the buck with the navigation over a premium paint job. Certainly I can use my smart phone for my navigation needs (especially after they release android auto), but the factory nav has advantages that have been mentioned already (better integration, nice big screen, possible resale value, etc). If nothing else, I find the built in nav is much faster at getting a satellite lock compared to my cell phone. Hmm, maybe that just means I have a crappy phone... perhaps it's time to find one that actually fits in that wireless charging slot :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank You and Please keep this discussion going. I am learning so much about NAV. $200 for an update...Ouch! Probably would not have noticed that in the fine print. It does look like a nice option to have it in the steering display. Can anyone please answer if while viewing it in the steering console, it is possible to use the main console for other tasks?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The real reason to get in dash NAV in GM vehicles was for the BIG view backup camera screen...with the Volt...you still get that without in the NAV package...

·
Registered
20 Posts
For older Volts (mine is a 2012), the ease of use of the Nav system is a huge plus for me. I love how easy it is to zoom in and out of the map just by turning the menu dial. I often drive around town with the map displayed, just to get a feel for the area and learn street names. I probably paid ~$1000 extra on a used model to get that feature. For me it was worth it.

One small caveat - the accuracy doesn't seem to be quite as good as my iPhone (which is always up-to-date), esp. if I take an alternate route and the nav system recalculates. But I can live with that.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Comedy Trivia - I used the Apple iPhone to try and find the Apple Store in Ontario, CA. It gave the wrong directions. Seriously. :D

Had to wander around on foot and ask people where it was. It was on the next street over.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Some questions that would help me decide this issue:

Does the speed limit display in the DIC require Nav? What else does it require?

Are there any other non-navigation features that require Gen 2 NAV?

Does the Gen 2 radio have to be turned on to use NAV (or voice command) the way the Gen 1 does? (This is a pet peeve of mine. The system is smart enough to turn on when receiving an incoming phone call, but not when I want to make one.)

In my 2014, the NAV is harder to set up and use than Google Maps / Android phone. But using the phone nav requires having the radio on, and then fiddling with the separate Bluetooth volume setting, which can only be adjusted when it's actually speaking. Maybe there's an easier way but I haven't found it.

So will Android Auto integration be smoother?

The salesman advised skipping NAV, FWIW.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does the speed limit display in the DIC require Nav? What else does it require?
Page 103 of the manual: Speed Warning : The Speed Warning display allows the driver to set a speed that they do not want to exceed. To set the Speed Warning, press check-mark button when Speed Warning is displayed. Press up arrow or down arrow to adjust the value. Press check-mark button to set the speed. Once the speed is set, this feature can be turned off by pressing check-mark button while viewing this page. If the selected speed limit is exceeded, a pop-up warning is displayed with a chime.

Are there any other non-navigation features that require Gen 2 NAV?
Think someone mentioned that the option to set home location for charging may be affected if no nav but not sure. you wont get XM Traffic as part of the XM trial (no big loss). not aware of anything else but perhaps this is better answered by someone without nav !

Does the Gen 2 radio have to be turned on to use NAV (or voice command) the way the Gen 1 does? (This is a pet peeve of mine. The system is smart enough to turn on when receiving an incoming phone call, but not when I want to make one.)
Do you mean the radio function or the centre display stack itself? If you mean radio then no you dont have to be tuned to it to use nav, but I think you probably mean the entire centre display. There is an option in the settings to switch off the centre display screen and from memory I think this does leave the DIC active, but I have not checked whether you can voice activate any of the functions, or still see the 'mini-nav' when its switched off. something to check on the drive home tonight if I remember ;) (The infotainment manual says it can be switched off but not much else).

In my 2014, the NAV is harder to set up and use than Google Maps / Android phone. But using the phone nav requires having the radio on, and then fiddling with the separate Bluetooth volume setting, which can only be adjusted when it's actually speaking. Maybe there's an easier way but I haven't found it. So will Android Auto integration be smoother? The salesman advised skipping NAV, FWIW.
The in-dash NAV is easy to use as it can be voice controlled, and even with my Scottish accent, which has led to some hilarious results from Siri at times, the NAV voice input seems to cope with me just fine. I hear what you say about the volume setting and it is the same with NAV where you set the radio volume separately to the nav volume. This is a bonus in my eyes though as it means I have more granular control over both. As this can be adjusted with the volume buttons on the steering wheel when the relevant app/function is speaking its not a huge hassle to adjust.

What I have noticed when using Waze connected through both USB and Bluetooth is that after Waze speaks, the phone launches my music from the phone (or iPod as it shows on screen) rather than going back to the radio channel i was listening to. This is annoying and a known issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I find google maps work better than any car Nav I've used and certainly better than the Apple app. I've had a couple times where it re-routed me around traffic jams, saving 1/2 hour or more. But that probably doesn't work with CarPlay. So it's android, built in, or nice iPhone holder.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What I have noticed when using Waze connected through both USB and Bluetooth is that after Waze speaks, the phone launches my music from the phone (or iPod as it shows on screen) rather than going back to the radio channel i was listening to. This is annoying and a known issue.
Waze is the correct answer to the Navigation question. The behavior you describe is supposedly a known issue and being addresses in a bug fix. Waze is also rumored to be working on becoming CarPlay compliant.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Page 103 of the manual: Speed Warning : The Speed Warning display allows the driver to set a speed that they do not want to exceed.
I was asking about Speed Limit Display under DIC Information Display Options, Page 129: "Speed Limit : Shows the current speed limit. The information for this page comes from a roadway database."

Do you mean the radio function or the centre display stack itself? If you mean radio then no you dont have to be tuned to it to use nav, but I think you probably mean the entire centre display. There is an option in the settings to switch off the centre display screen and from memory I think this does leave the DIC active, but I have not checked whether you can voice activate any of the functions, or still see the 'mini-nav' when its switched off. something to check on the drive home tonight if I remember (The infotainment manual says it can be switched off but not much else).
I mean the radio function.

On my 2014, if the radio is off and I press the NAV button, the display shows an error message saying that the radio needs to be turned on to use NAV.

If I press the voice recognition button, it displays and speaks an error message telling me to turn the radio on before using voice recognition.

What does the 2016 do in these two cases?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was asking about Speed Limit Display under DIC Information Display Options, Page 129: "Speed Limit : Shows the current speed limit. The information for this page comes from a roadway database."

I mean the radio function. On my 2014, if the radio is off and I press the NAV button, the display shows an error message saying that the radio needs to be turned on to use NAV. If I press the voice recognition button, it displays and speaks an error message telling me to turn the radio on before using voice recognition.

What does the 2016 do in these two cases?
For the first I do not see that speed limit screen. I get all the others so perhaps that's a Canadian peculiarity, but will double check it again shortly as I know my Garmin and other apps can get this so no reason why the inbuilt nav should not.

The radio and nav just appear to be two different apps within the infotainment system and you can run none, one or both at the same time. There is no off switch for the radio. Nav will overlay a popup at the bottom of the screen if you are running the radio and you can choose to view/dismiss the info. if you dismiss the radio screen stays up, if you choose to view it switches to nav but the radio audio stays on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
For the first I do not see that speed limit screen. I get all the others so perhaps that's a Canadian peculiarity, but will double check it again shortly as I know my Garmin and other apps can get this so no reason why the inbuilt nav should not.
I think he is referring to the speed limit display in the lower screen below... I have Navigation, so the question is whether models without the Nav option also can display it? Hopefully someone else will help with that answer.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
On the way home tonight, the police had a road block set up. I hit the nav button and home and the system directed me out of there.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think he is referring to the speed limit display in the lower screen below... I have Navigation, so the question is whether models without the Nav option also can display it? Hopefully someone else will help with that answer.

I dont get that .... I get this (recorded tonight)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts