GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, It's an expensive option and wonder how much better than "Maps" in CarPlay is the Navigation? I know Maps is pretty sad and a bad Apple. Some of what I am hoping to learn is if it can synch with an iPhone's contacts; how well it responds to voice requests, user friendliness, updates, detail quality and the like. I do enjoy using Siri in my Pioneer deck with CarPlay. I may not get this option if CarPlay is more the way to go (or as best as Apple Maps goes).
Thanks Kindly

·
Registered
425 Posts
You get 3 years free on-star which has a good navigation system included (free). Don't need anything else.

Good luck, my volt is the best car I have ever had.

Don

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I can't speak to the newer NAV system in the '16, but I find it very useful in my '13 since I drive beyond EV range most days and like to plan hold mode use and normal mode to use up the rest of the EV miles. It's just easier to have the miles to destination on the large screen, rather than constantly looking down at a phone. However, it IS annoying to try to use voice-recognition to dictate a street address--I find this works only once out of every 20 times. I can't tell you how many times it sent me (strangely) to Michigan, or California (I live in NJ). My accent is not that bad...

With that said, a simple Garmin unit tastefully installed could accomplish the same goal. Mine was a heavily-discounted leftover '13 model, so there wasn't any real penalty for getting it. It's definitely a plus to have it integrated into the system and directions viewable if necessary below the speedometer. I'm not sure if Apple CarPlay offers the same kind of feature in the '16. If so, there would be almost no need for a factory NAV unit in that case.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I have NAV but think NAV systems are now obsolete. The only bummer is Apple Play makes you use Apple Maps which IMO are vastly inferior to Google Maps.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Folks, It's an expensive option and wonder how much better than "Maps" in CarPlay is the Navigation? I know Maps is pretty sad and a bad Apple. Some of what I am hoping to learn is if it can synch with an iPhone's contacts; how well it responds to voice requests, user friendliness, updates, detail quality and the like. I do enjoy using Siri in my Pioneer deck with CarPlay. I may not get this option if CarPlay is more the way to go (or as best as Apple Maps goes).
Thanks Kindly
With the navigation option you can pinch-and-zoom on the map and move it around with your fingers. If you touch a point, it will identify it and give you the option of navigating to it. The voice system works very well in my experience at identifying an address you speak (despite my British accent!) - much better than in my former 2011 Volt. However I’ve found no way to get it to see the contacts list on your iPhone. You have to create a vehicle contact list separately.

The Apple maps application via Carplay does access your iPhone contacts list – if you touch an address in that, it will bring up Apple maps and plot a route to that destination. However the touch-screen features like pinch-and-zoom do not work as they do on the iPhone screen – you have to use the zoom + and – icons and the direction arrows to zoom the map and move it around on the Volt center screen. And nothing happens when you touch a point on the map.

In my opinion, the navigation option is worth the cost (relative to the overall price of the car) – it’s always there and integrates better with the car (mutes the music when it gives directions, etc.), plus it’s less distracting than using Apple maps. Perhaps Google maps will work better when the Android Autoplay option is available or when it’s added to the allowed iPhone projected apps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
^ this +1
Nav option is best I have had in a car and quickly and accurately identifies POI and addresses. Prefer it to AM until they upgrade CarPlay resolution at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You get 3 years free on-star which has a good navigation system included (free). Don't need anything else.

Good luck, my volt is the best car I have ever had.

Don
This. OnStar is virtually hand and eye free. It is the simplest system yet devised, and perhaps the safest.

You talk a person, they download data into your car, and it's both audible and dash info. On other models of GM cars with HUD, it's on the HUD as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have Nav in my 2015 and I like it but one disappointment is that you don't get live traffic unless you subscribe to traffic data via XM. And XM is making it so difficult to add traffic data to my account (I'm still on my free trial) that I've given up and will just not bother.

I *think* that the Nav equipped 2016s get trafffic data included with their free trial of XM. I wish the 2015s did.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The full integration is nice but for prior model years the updates have been few and far between plus overpriced. Combine that with the high option cost and you are getting low value for money. A premium Garmin or a phone will be up to date.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Seems the NAV option is only $495 on the '16 Volt....often times it is at least $1k in similarly priced cars due to forced options upgrades. At $495, it may be worth it for convenience. Still, paying $200 for map updates is ridiculous.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seems the NAV option is only $495 on the '16 Volt....often times it is at least $1k in similarly priced cars due to forced options upgrades. At $495, it may be worth it for convenience. Still, paying $200 for map updates is ridiculous.
Don't forget you are forced to get the Premier trim for nav to even be an option, so it's more like $4500 for nav. There are no options on the Premier trim I want that I can't get on the LT except nav. I won't be getting it because of that. Besides that, your basic smart phones all have Nav now a days, and it's always updated for free, even better it's the same for a $300 Garmin and the Garmin isn't reliant on Cell phone signals. Depending on how well Android Auto functions, it will either be that or a Garmin for me personally.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have Nav in my 2015 and I like it but one disappointment is that you don't get live traffic unless you subscribe to traffic data via XM. And XM is making it so difficult to add traffic data to my account (I'm still on my free trial) that I've given up and will just not bother. I *think* that the Nav equipped 2016s get trafffic data included with their free trial of XM. I wish the 2015s did.
SETUP
My 2016 came with the XM system initialised (my sales rep did it for me earlier on the day when I was scheduled to pick it up). However, when playing with the buttons and options I noticed traffic was greyed out. I pressed the button and the screen displayed a message that the subscription had expired. I called XM the next day and they resent the signal. still not working. I phoned again and was told "no sir, you dont get traffic. If your dealer or GM said you do then they are wrong". I emailed my Volt Advisor and my salesman (including a screenshot from the build and price screen showing traffic trial) and asked them to sort it out. Later that day traffic started working ! A few days later I was trying out the Sirius app on my phone and it displayed a similar message (expired). I phoned again and after jumping through a few more hoops they enabled this too. Now I wonder if the same applies to weather app that I see on some screenshots ... there's a few users already who have asked about this in the forum on the last few days and none have that app which was pictured from some of the demo test drives .... is it included? is it not? is it worth bothering about when you know you are going to ditch 'Sketchius' XM as soon as the trial is over.

USAGE
Having used the XM traffic for a week now I think I will stick to Waze for my initial route planning and the built-in nav for displaying the route itself. XM traffic is reasonable at best and I would put it somewhere slightly above the traffic info on my Garmin but way below traffic info from Apple, Google or Waze. It is not worth paying a cent for this on any subscription in my opinion, especially when the company involved tries to nickle and dime you at every turn. Much like my Garmin it tries to send me down a ridiculously busy street (Eglington Ave West just at Renforth for the GTA guys) which runs parallel to the main (401) highway whereas all the others - especially Waze - have offered up routes that actually work when they had to avoid the highway.

I also used the OnStar turn-by-turn for the first time yesterday and its pretty good. I could have spoken to a real person but I chose to send my route home to the car from my phone (OnStar App). When you get into the car after this it alerts you to this and then will speak all the turns to you and show you arrows on main screen and/or driver info centre as you drive but no map display. Its very good in a minimalist fashion, but the geek in my likes my maps ....

Its $795 north of the border so perhaps a bigger consideration. Overall I am happy I added it (at invoice cost not retail) as it seemed a little short-sighted to leave it out when buying all the other options on what was basically a $50K car before the rebate. Not sure I will ever add an update disc though ... hoping that carplay (or MyLink) is enhanced over time as the relationship between Apple/Google and the car companies is the way forward.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
^ this +1
Nav option is best I have had in a car and quickly and accurately identifies POI and addresses. Prefer it to AM until they upgrade CarPlay resolution at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I don't own a 2016 Volt, I have watched a few of the various videos showing Apple Carplay and the screen resolution was the first thing that jumped out at me...what the heck? I would blame it on the car, but having seen a couple of other videos online this just seems to be the default resolution. Android Auto doesn't seem to look any better. It is almost as if they chose a "lowest common denominator" non-scaling resolution for version 1.0 of these systems. The only reason I can see for doing this is performance which suggests the first generation of hardware on these cars just isn't quite up to the task...a pity.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Now I wonder if the same applies to weather app that I see on some screenshots ...
Think I managed to answer my own question. The weather app appears to be Siriux XM Travel Link as opposed to XM Traffic and this is not included in the trial.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 LT. I have been using the Apple Play Nav function from my iPhone and have found that while there are some UI difficulties (no pinch and zoom or swipe to move map -- you have to touch screen to bring up the input functions and then press the +/- to raise/lower resolution and N/S/E/W button to move map in discrete jumps up/down/left/right) it works fine and includes traffic.

Am I happy without NAV? For me, wanting just a bare bones Volt and not wanting to pay any more than the basic price, the Apple Play NAV works fine. If you like all of the bells and whistles and are getting the other options, it might make more convenient in your situation.

I took the money I saved and purchased a L2 charger instead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having used OnStar for navigation, i can tell you that i am not impressed by it at all. It is very easy interface to work with but the main meat and bone of it is bad.

+ es:
Talk to human to find/navigate to a address

- es:
1. No re-route.
2. Arrival is approximate. e.g, One of the place i wanted was on a state hwy intersection. Once we reached the intersection, it said arrived. This is NJ, it is not that easy. Luckily i knew the area.

About using smartphones for navigation, sounds good at first, but i would rather have it as a last minute. Battery and data charges are not worth it.

Leaves us with just 2 options. 1. In car systems and 2. Garmins of the world. I prefer Garmin as we can get up-to-date maps for free vs buying expensive In car systems with costly map updates.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The built-in NAV costs lots upfront, for updates and for repairs. Compare that to my TomTom which is portable, sits on the dash, cost about $100, gets free updates and if it breaks is easily replaced.

KNS

·
Registered
224 Posts
The nav is worth it to me. It works a lot better than my '14, and it also can show the mini-map under the speedometer. Since I already wanted Premier, Confidence 1 and 2, $495 is not too crazy for nav (especially since I'm buying and planning to keep long term). Nav can be over $1-$2K for other automakers, and some work a lot less well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The mini-map sure is the coolest thing.

I wish CarPlay would do that. CarPlay supports the mini-music display under the speedometer, so not sure why it doesn't do it for Maps.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts