GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing horror stories over and over again of people being stranded due to BECM failure.
Is this failure inevitable to happen on all 2017 model or is it isolated among a few modules. Has GM traced these potential failures to specific VINs or is this a crap shoot?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The BECM in my 2017 failed last summer. But it didn't strand me. The electric range read zero and the ICE turned on every time I started the car. Also, my air conditioning didn't work. My dealer told me I could drive it until the part came in but I didn't because the weather was warm and I was concerned the battery might overheat without the a/c being available.
I don't know if they had a bad batch of BECMs or if they are all subject to premature failure.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't think they had a bad batch, I think the BECM was a marginal piece of (insert your own word here) which means some will fail and some won't depending on the luck of the draw. Hopefully the replacements are of better quality. Your A/C doesn't cool the battery, that would be the Mitsubishi Outlander that does that. The Volt is heated and cooled by coolant just like the ICE motor and the electronics (three systems).

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
399 Posts
The A/C compressor does indeed provide chilled coolant to cool the battery. From WOT's post way back in time:
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

Reactions: saltsman

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
....and it costs $4000 with a 12 months waiting list?
You must be referring to a new A/C. Where did you get the price and wait time? I saw another thread where a member replaced his own after the dealer quoted like $2500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts