GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

So I went to drive my Volt (2012, 47,000 miles) this morning around 10am and all was fine. Had it sitting in my garage for about 4 hours, went to drive it, and the message came up "Service High Voltage Charging System." I had not been expecting this so I turned the car off/on and didn't help (obviously). So now I'm preparing to call my local dealership to take it in but should I be expecting a bill for this or should it be something that is covered under the hybrid system warranty? I researched and found service campaign "14114, RESS Battery Coolant level low" which may be the problem.

The night before I did notice what I thought was a water trail that followed the car into the garage so maybe it could be a leak? And also would it be best to just call the dealership or a Volt Advisor first? I've taken it in for the minor recalls since January when I bought it but this is my first issue. Any info is much appreciated!

Update #1: Thanks everyone for all the info! I got a hold of my Volt Advisor, Keshia, and let them know what was going on. She happily scheduled an appointment for me on the day/time I requested (7/30) so I'll let everyone know what happens after I get some news from the dealership here in Redlands, Ca. Hopefully it's good news and it's covered and the Advisor seemed to think it would be based on my warranty but obviously couldn't promise anything. Also she scheduled a callback to check up on me which I thought was great service!

Update #2: So somewhere along the line my appointment was miscommunicated to me and was on the wrong time. Luckily, Dee, was able to squeeze me in. They checked the fluids, as Steverino said, and the coolant was low but they did not detect any leaks so they filled it up at no charge. All in all it was a great experience at Tom Bell Chevy in Redlands, Ca so if any of you are near that area they seemed pretty on top of things!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Clear water is probably A/C condensation. Low coolant is only one possibility. A dealer trip is in order. No idea if this is covered since we don't know the exact cause.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had my 2012 in for the same message last week - it would not charge. They said they had to reprogram two modules. Initially they charged me $100 (deductible for my extended warrantee) but called back and said it was covered under the "special Volt warrantee" and credited my card. Don't know if it was just a coincidence, but I had the "I forgot to turn off my Car" recall done two weeks earlier.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife's 2012 had the same problem. It was fixed with a software update under warranty.

pKIO3, she had the "forgot to turn off car" recall done five weeks earlier. Five weeks seems like a long time for it to be related, but who knows?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I got the same message ("Service High Voltage Charging System") the same day of the original post. I took my 2012 Volt (I'm the original owner) in for service this morning, and they said that the repair costs will be fully covered under the 8-year hundred-thousand-mile warranty.

This is the first actual repair I've needed in the almost 4 years of ownership. Still love my Volt!

3,600 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I went to drive my Volt (2012, 47,000 miles) this morning around 10am and all was fine. Had it sitting in my garage for about 4 hours, went to drive it, and the message came up "Service High Voltage Charging System." I had not been expecting this so I turned the car off/on and didn't help (obviously). So now I'm preparing to call my local dealership to take it in but should I be expecting a bill for this or should it be something that is covered under the hybrid system warranty? I researched and found service campaign "14114, RESS Battery Coolant level low" which may be the problem.

The night before I did notice what I thought was a water trail that followed the car into the garage so maybe it could be a leak? And also would it be best to just call the dealership or a Volt Advisor first? I've taken it in for the minor recalls since January when I bought it but this is my first issue. Any info is much appreciated!
Hey Zoidburke,

I'm sorry to hear about your Volt and the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message. If you'd like a diagnosis at the dealer, I'd be happy to assist with scheduling an appointment so they can look further into your concern. If you're interested, please private message me your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred local dealer. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
What did you see when you checked the fluid levels under the hood? Are they where they should be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Vivian! I actually called and made an appointment for tomorrow, 7/30, over the phone with a Volt advisor but thanks for the offer! I haven't really utilized an Advisor at all but it's great to know Volt Advisors are active on this site!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts